Sep 12 2003
By: OZMAN64~ Hekseville Citizen 326 posts

changed my mind

3 replies 0 views Edited Sep 12, 2003

Ok, I had a post up here about how I thought Final Fantasy 4/ Chrono Trigger sucked. I still think the graphics are outdated, but I will not continue to expound on that! I never realized that there were as many FF as there were Freddy movies!

Anyhow, after some surfing I decided to forego the early FF's and start with FF7. My questions are as follows:

1. Are all the stories connected?

2. Do I have to play them all in order?

3. What is the progression of FF games? Can't Find any info on FF3 to FF6.

4. When did FF jump to PS2?

For all your help...thanks!

geno
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 4 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
20328 posts

Re: changed my mind

Sep 12, 2003

,OZMAN64 wrote:

Ok, I had a post up here about how I thought Final Fantasy 4/ Chrono Trigger sucked. I still think the graphics are outdated, but I will not continue to expound on that! I never realized that there were as many FF as there were Freddy movies!

Anyhow, after some surfing I decided to forego the early FF's and start with FF7. My questions are as follows:

1. Are all the stories connected?

2. Do I have to play them all in order?

3. What is the progression of FF games? Can't Find any info on FF3 to FF6.

4. When did FF jump to PS2?

1. ,
  2. Truthfully no, but in order to get you to play older Final Fantasy games (think of it as playing a Game Boy Advance game), I'm going to say...yes... ::shifty eyes::
  3. ,
  4. I didn't play them in order, but the older ones are just as good as the new ones. Final Fantasy VI was one of the best Final Fantasy games, not to mention one of the best RPGs period.
  5. ,
  6. Progression? I-III were on the Famicom/NES, IV-VI on the SFC/SNES, VII-IX on the PlayStation, and X-XII on the PS2. IV was actually II in America, and VI was III, so that could be part of the problem. III has never seen the light of day in America, but may soon. V didn't until Final Fantasy Anthology.
  7. ,
  8. Final Fantasy X was the first PlayStation 2 Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy VII was the first PlayStation Final Fantasy game.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 4 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9154 posts

Sep 12, 2003

,OZMAN64 wrote:

1. Are all the stories connected? no

2. Do I have to play them all in order? no

3. What is the progression of FF games? Can't Find any info on FF3 to FF6. what?

4. When did FF jump to PS2?  FFX

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 4 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1944 posts

Sep 12, 2003

The FF series is not interrelated at all.  None of the games until FFX even had a sequel (The sequel being FFX-2 of course.). There are various elements that are similar in every FF. The general storyline usually has a star hero and heroine who eventually hook up and some plot to destroy the world.   This is tweaked slightly in each game, but most FFs follow this pattern except FFI which had no true characterization nor for that matter female characters at all.  Cid in various forms tend to show up in every game. Also, Biggs and Wedge have been known to show up from time to time.

None of Square games tend to be interrelated at all. Whether its Seiken Dentetsu, Final Fantasy, or the Saga line, they all take place in different worlds.  The Chrono series has tried to have some interrelated storyline and characters, but it was just a debacle, since we are missing the center story in the unreleased in the USA CT:The Radical Dreamers. Therefore the link between CT and CC is tenuous at best.

To be honest, most game developers in general do not use interrelated storylines.  Some of the best all time interconnected story archs in RPGs include Lunar 1 and 2, the Suikoden series, and the Ogre Battle series. Lunar 1 and 2 are simply amazing, I really enjoyed Lunar 2's story a lot. Ogre Battle tells the tale of the creation of Zenobia and Lodis, and then their wars with each other through various other countries and states.  To be honest, Ogre Battle is interesting in that the two major powers tend to not attack each other directly but instead fight one another in other countries ala the Cold War.  Ogre Battle 1 tells the tale of the rebeliion agaisnt the Zetegenia Empire and the reation of Zenobia. Ogre Battle 64 tells us a lot about Lodis and gives us the historical, military, and religious background of that empire, and chronicles Zenobias attempt to save Palatinus from Lodis and spread the rebellion to a new continent. Tactics Ogre has Lodis and Zenobia fighting indirectly in the Valeria civil war where three distinct ethnicities clash. Both Ogre Battle 64 and Tactics Ogre have characters from the first game come back giving a real sense of continuity to the series. Suikoden I and II are simply an amazing matched pair of games, answering much of the first game's questions and II sparks many more which are answered in III, like where is the Grasslands, and Harmonia and what goals do these nations have? Many characters from the first game return as either playable characters or for cameos, its all very cool.  The FF series never really had much in the continuity department, but FFX-2 certainly attempts to change that. Good luck getting into the series.

RIP PSMVP StuTDavis
RIP Gaming Lounge

Ex-mvp Guru25
Current games: Beyond the Beyond
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 4 (0 Views)
0 Likes