Nov 12 2003
By: Vegetatheprince~ Splicer 71 posts

anybody have a hard time tryin to explain ffx2 to there parents

27 replies 1 views Edited Nov 12, 2003
my mom saw opm this month and she thought it was a sports illustrated swim suit edition that was hard for me to explain but som how i did

ok heres my idea for good tv 3 black native people and a astrounaut are in jurassic time no one knows how they got there no one cares but thos native people shur teach thos dinosoars to put one over on that cave man

-cknapp151
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Re: anybody have a hard time tryin to explain ffx2 to there parents

Nov 12, 2003
My mom don't even care what i play...
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes
Splicer
71 posts

Nov 12, 2003
lucky you i cant evan have gta the only reason im able to get ffx-2 is because i have almost all of them and its teen rated

ok heres my idea for good tv 3 black native people and a astrounaut are in jurassic time no one knows how they got there no one cares but thos native people shur teach thos dinosoars to put one over on that cave man

-cknapp151
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
288 posts

Nov 12, 2003
I can imagine that it would be hard to explain to someone's parents, since this game does have a noticable DOA:XBV prideless quality to it... fortunately, I am old.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10751 posts

Nov 12, 2003

Speaking as a parent, I'm impressed that you even posted this.  Yeah, there's plenty of explaining to be done with regard to the "look" of FFX-2.  I mean, let's just call it what it is--gratuitous sexual content through revealing costumes.  And let's not forget how FFX-2 reinforces gender stereotypes.  Notice how Leblanc stands and shakes her hip.  No real female would do this except for maybe some cheap burlesque dancer.  So, the message is clear...these girls are sex objects, all of them.  Their identity is in their clothing.  How do you explain that to your mom?  And how is it "just a game" when so many young gamers don't seem to be able to differentiate between the look of FFX-2 and how real girls really look?  There have been enough discussions at these boards to convince me that many young gamers at this board honestly think girls look and act like this...or if they don't, they should.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8971 posts

Nov 12, 2003

,Vegeta the prince wrote:
my mom saw opm this month and she thought it was a sports illustrated swim suit edition that was hard for me to explain but som how i did
lol, thats pretty funny. Parents are like that. im glad you could explain it though!
-------------------------------------------------------------
AIM sn: PM me is you really want it.
>xXx xXx xXx xXx xXx xXx xXx xXx
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Nov 12, 2003

,maricam wrote:

I mean, let's just call it what it is--gratuitous sexual content through revealing costumes.  And let's not forget how FFX-2 reinforces gender stereotypes.  Notice how Leblanc stands and shakes her hip.  No real female would do this except for maybe some cheap burlesque dancer.  So, the message is clear...these girls are sex objects, all of them.  Their identity is in their clothing.  How do you explain that to your mom?  ,

,null,

Now...I'm gonna have to disagree with what you had said about FFX-2 "reinforcing gender stereotypes".

I won't deny the fact that the female characters are more than slightly scantily dressed, however, I believe you've heard of the saying "Beauty is only on the inside"? Okay sure...it's more commonly used by ugly people (why would you say that if you were good looking?), but my point is that the girls have very strong personalities and goals. It's not as though the game focuses on making Yuna cook a meal then do dishes while wearing hotpants. These girls have great personalities (possibly Rikku excluded) adn often show that they have deep thoughts and feelings (excluding Rikku again)....

Also, of course these girls are sex objects! You expect game developers to have the main character as some ultra-homely person? Now if children can't differenciate between the game being imaginary or real...then I wouldn't put the blame on the game itself, but rather on the parent for not teaching their children the difference in the first place.

Just covering something up and not allowing someone to learn and gain experience is definately not going to help shape their future.

Message Edited by Lionheart30 on 11-12-2003 02:08 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is it...This is your story" - Auron, Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy X-2 Stats:
Percentage Completion - 98%
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10751 posts

Nov 12, 2003

,Lionheart30 wrote:

Now...I'm gonna have to disagree with what you had said about FFX-2 "reinforcing gender stereotypes".

You go from one set of stereotypes to another.  Nope, Yuna certainly isn't cooking a meal (what a horrible thing for any woman to have to do!  Yes, that was sarcasm) but she certainly isn't dressed like any respectable female.  And please spare me the "don't judge a book by its cover" proverb.  That well-known saying had more to do with not judging people by their money (and the things money could by such as clothing) instead of their character.  Do you know any self-respecting girls who would dress like these characters?  Of course it's not real, and yet, as I pointed out in my post, again and again I hear young gamers declaring that girls should look like this!  Additionally, a lack of clothing does not equal femininity.  I would hope that if games want to show that females can be strong, ambitious, and clever they would want to emphasize the femininity of females to distinguish them in a dramatic way from males.  This can be done without cleavage or thongs.

For all the work feminism did to release women from the "sex object" catagory, the latest generation seems very happy to settle for that label as an identifier and dress the part.  Your statement about making "homely" characters is very telling.  Would you be as interested in this game if the girls didn't look like prostitutes?  (What's funny is, despite their lack of clothing, I don't think the characters are all that attractive.) 

Yuna and Paine may indeed have thoughts, feelings, and goals...but I'd never guess it by taking a glance at their hooker attire.  Should we listen more and look less?  Sure!  But first impressions are generally the ones we make with our eyes.  This is reality whether we like it or not.  And if you dress like a hooker you can expect to be taken as seriously as a hooker and receive as much respect as a hooker.  So sorry, but there it is.

So, although you were well-spoken in your post, I still don't agree with you.  I think any game that presents females in such a blatantly sexual way is reinforcing negative gender stereotypes.  You'll notice that the male characters are clothed from head to toe, btw.  With the exception of the occassional peek at a bare chest, they even wear gloves.

Message Edited by maricam on 11-12-2003 02:32 PM

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
448 posts

Nov 12, 2003
I dont even bother anymore...
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1203 posts

Nov 12, 2003

its all about a maturity level. some people wouldnt be able to handle the game. playing it, and just drooling over them. sure, theyre good looking, but its just a game. there are things one isnt supposed to subject themselves to, and things you can. its a game, and what is a game? a form of entertainment. i must agree that if they were ugly, you wouldnt want to play. because, honestly, who wants to play as a butt-ugly character? i personally am eagerly awaiting this game. i look not only at graphics, or what the graphics reveal, but also at the gameplay, story, everything. the characters dont make the game, the game makes the characters. square-enix made the game as a whole, they didnt make just some good looking girls. they made them in those costumes to attract more people to the game, because honestly, which one would a teenage boy buy? a game with hot girls in tight revealing clothes, or some other game? once again, its all about a maturity level. if you are able to play it without it controling you, you should be fine. obsession is not a good thing. even tho the girls may be good looking, its the game you buy, not the girls.

"Tell me friend, you ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?"
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 28 (1 View)
0 Likes