Jan 12 2010
By: Jacks-over Sackboy 445 posts

Will You play FFXIV if there's no PvP?

63 replies 19 views Edited Jan 12, 2010
Just curious of what people think I personally require PvP for online games.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 64 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2345 posts

Re: Will You play FFXIV if there's no PvP?

Jan 12, 2010
I'd still play.
YLOD 80gig PS3 1/30/09 - 7/30/11 RIP
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 64 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
94 posts

Jan 12, 2010

To have PvP you would have to have like a bad ff side and a good side right? like horde vs alliance? Are all the races in harmony in XIV? Are we talking about PvP say in arena matches ect.. or walking around the world and seeing some1 and killing them?

Sorry about my ignorance, I don't play MMORPGs although ffxiv could be my first

Message Edited by Dani061094 on 01-11-2010 08:22 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 64 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Jan 12, 2010
I'll still play but it will be a huge disappointment for me.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 64 (19 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Jan 12, 2010

Dani061094 wrote:

To have PvP you would have to have like a bad ff side and a good side right? like horde vs alliance? Are all the races in harmony in XIV? Are we talking about PvP say in arena matches ect.. or walking around the world and seeing some1 and killing them?

ACtually no you wouldn't need a 'good' side & 'bad' side for PvP. Final Fantasy XI added in Ballista a few years back. FFXI has 3 city factions but unlike WoW everyone can talk to anyone and you can easily switch your nation allegiance at any time (for a small in game fee of course). Ballista is sort of like football and sort of like basketball. You can pick up "Petras" to toss into the Rooks (think sort of like a basketball hoop that doesn't return your ball) and you can also attack members of the opposing side (think Football but with Fireballs and Katana).

As far as the initial topic goes, I don't care if it has it or not, as long as I'm not forced into it. I don't care for PvP. I hate accidently wandering around a corner and suddenly having a fireball or sword shoved in my back by someone else. (That was what I hated about WoW, even with the PvP turned off, if you were exploring an area for the first time you could come upon the opposing faction's NPC who would aggro you from a mile away and as soon as they hit you, or if you flew too close to their fortifications, so could any Tom, Harry or Jane) PvP takes a certain type of mindset. I for one won't be participating in any PvP. 

Message Edited by PapaWarlock on 01-12-2010 01:23 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 64 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8406 posts

Jan 12, 2010

Yes, I will still play XIV even if there is no PvP.

Also, even if SE decides to include PvP, I doubt it'll play a very big roll. I don't get the feeling that the developers care that much for it. Which is a little disappointing, but at the same time I'm happy that they're mostly concentrating on the story and world itself. PvP would be a nice bonus, but the feeling of playing a *real* Final Fantasy with millions of other players is what I really want out of FFXIV.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 64 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7652 posts

Jan 12, 2010
I actually dislike PvP. Perhaps that's way I liked FFXI so much vs other online games.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 64 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Jan 12, 2010

Absolutly, I hate PvP and was thrilled with FFXI for not really having it. They kept it as a side quest sort of thing for those who wanted it, but it wasn't forced on anyone. In addition to what PapaWarlock mentioned they also had another mode called Brenner (I think) which was similar to a capture the flag arena battle. You had even teams, and you could also enforce a level cap (if you wanted) so high level players could play with lower leveled friends.

For those who think it can't be an MMO without PvP .... how ignorant. MMO means Massivly Multiplayer Online. It's not like people play solo all the time. In fact in FFXI it was near impossible to play solo. The standard party was 6 players, the standard alliance was 18 players. There were several events that required multiple alliances to have any hope of completing them. There was Conquest, which was friendly competition between the three nations. Remember, the three nations are allied together to fight the beastmen, so they're going to help each other out not kill each other...

In Aht Urghan (3rd expansion pack) the main city gets periodically assaulted by hundreds of enemy monsters and well over 300 people band together to defend the city. Why? Because it's in the best interest of everyone on the server. During the assault the shop NPCs can get captured, to get them back parties have to go to the beastmen strongholds to bust them out. Now honestly, how is that not multiplayer?

Loads of other games don't get ripped on for having co-op and not deathmatch, so I don't see why people should rip on FFXI (or FFXIV) for only having co-op.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 64 (19 Views)
Welcoming Committee
7485 posts

Jan 12, 2010
heck no thank goodness there is tho. PVP is everythin to me at least y else would i waste hrs leveling up my chracter if I couldn't fight my friends who did the same to see whos the better man.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 64 (19 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1914 posts

Jan 12, 2010

Q: Will You play FFXIV if there's no PvP?

A: Yes.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 64 (19 Views)
0 Likes