Aug 27 2012
By: Vailintine Lombax Warrior 134 posts

Why is Final Fantasy XIII a "bad game"?

66 replies 3777 views Edited Aug 27, 2012

I personally enjoyed the game and believe it was a true Final Fantasy game. Although, it did not follow the flow feeling of the others, it did have it's unique qualities. I rather enjoyed the story and the games. We did not have the freedom to go about where ever we wanted, but what was wrong with moving a game forward? It's a game that wants to make a point and is pushing us to into battle ready or not. Sure the story may not be much of a fantasy story, since (from what I hear) most say that the story is having real world problems into it. However, isn't the fact that we can relate to the games that made Final Fantasy stories awesome? Sure, as far as the game-play, there is no way to say that this game has any relation to how the original Final Fantasy was made. Not being able to freely roam and get lost for nearly an hour before finding out where you're supposed to go. I remember I used to play games without any care about reputation or having any idea what it was about. What is wrong for taking this game for what it is rather than how the others were in comparison? It seems to me that most people hate that this game was called Final Fantasy XIII. If it wasn't a Final Fantasy entry? Would you guys criticize about how bad the game was?

Message 1 of 67 (3,777 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Re: Why is Final Fantasy XIII a "bad game"?

Aug 27, 2012

A good question, but I believe you already answered it yourself in your post.

Gameplay. The gameplay of this entry is almost nothing like any of the other games in the series. When games are from a numbered series, or a collection of a common theme (for example the "Tales of" series of action RPGs) there is an expectation on how the game will play.

Take for instance the Tales of series, can you imagine how upset people would be if they made the next game in the series a SRPG?

Personally I thought XIII was an okay game. I enjoyed the story, I liked some of the characters, but I really dissliked the combat. Same goes for XIII-2 however I liked the characters less in that game.

To answer your last question, yes if taken on its own, if they did not make it a numbered game, more people probably would of liked the game because it would not have come with the expectations of the Final Fantasy gameplay (turn based, semi-free roam world, mini games, side quests, cities, etc).

PS: In future posts, use your Enter key a bit :smileywink: A wall of text is less likely to get read.

Message 2 of 67 (3,772 Views)
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Aug 27, 2012

It's fine if it doesn't get read, lol. I'll get lucky if people even give me a straight answer at all. Thanks for you'r response though.

What about the gameplay did you not like exactly?

Message 3 of 67 (3,767 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11304 posts

Aug 27, 2012

The problem isn't that Final Fantasy XIII is a bad game, the problem is that Final Fantasy XIII isn't an incredible game. Like going to the finest restaurant in the world and being served instant mashed potatoes, Final Fantasy XIII cuts all the corners that once elevated this giant into stardom. That is the start of where many gamers have had a problem with Square's latest offerings.

I was able to tolerate the first Final Fantasy XIII. It's straightforward and has a weaker plot than any other Final Fantasy I've played. It doesn't have an outstanding soundtrack, its battle system isn't at the top of its class, and the experience system is less fun to deal with. Personally it's not a bad game, but by no means does the game meet the higher standards that Final Fantasy used to be known for.

Even Final Fantasy XII broke away from the Final Fantasy standards on some fronts, but did deliver outstanding qualities on most others. Final Fantasy XIII by comparison doesn't prove itself to be very strong or compelling in any particular category. For an RPG it survives well enough to be enjoyed, but it does so well outside the realm of where most Final Fantasy releases were able to celebrate their victory as a favorite by all Final Fantasy fans.

Message 4 of 67 (3,766 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Aug 27, 2012

Taking the fact that it is called "Final Fantasy XIII" what about it was bad?

I understand what you mean about the level up system. I wasn't a big fan about it either. However, didn't it allow players more freedom to evolve the characters status by their own terms of what strenghts mattered most?

Taking note that Final Fantasy XIII sure doesn't meet the standard qualities of a traditional Final Fantasy game, as GrayGargoyle* stated. How did it not set the standard?

Music taste varies from person to person, so that isn't something I look at. The battle system, sets up a time based attacks as well having to be lucky on where in the battle field your characters stand to be able to be out of range of enemy attacks.

Although I agree that it doesn't follow traditional strategies, so what part of the battle system exactly did you not like?

What "higher standards" are you talking about?

Message 5 of 67 (3,763 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7875 posts

Aug 28, 2012

I'm still on the fence about FF XIII, to be honest. I'll be straightforward and say that I still haven't beaten the game despite getting it upon release, which is a bad sign in and of itself. It had several redeeming qualities to it, in my opinion. Of course it was an absolutely beautiful game, and the soundtrack was one of the better things about it as well. I was also a big fan of the Crystarium, Paradigm System, and overall battle system. However, that's where my infatuation with the game ends.

As someone already mentioned, the game is extremely linear. This may be hypocritical coming from a person who regards FF X as ome of their favorites, but I just feel wildly restricted whenever I play it. That doesn't make it a bad game, but it is a bad feature to include in a game that is part of a series that's known for exploration, world maps, etc.

The story is my biggest gripe with the game. I like pretty much all the characters, but I just can't get attached to anything story-wise. I hate the fact that all the backstory and explanations on characters, locations, and terminology are all confined to that compendium thing. Yeah, something like that is a great resource to have if you get confused, but it should NOT be the primary means of storytelling.

Also, those Eidolon battles can die in a fire. Seriously. They were awful.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire, Tales From The Borderlands
Message 6 of 67 (3,760 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Aug 28, 2012

I thought the game was fine but I could see how others wouldn't like it. I will say I didn't like it as much as previous entries in the series but I didn't hate it.

My only gripes are not being able to switch characters during battle (which they fixed in FFXIII-2 but was pointless sense you only had 2 playable characters).

Not being able to return to previous areas, in X and XII I frequently level grinded by walking from one end to the map to other, I didn't like I couldn't do that in this game.

Also I didn't like Lightning as a main protagonist, the other characters while I didn't like them at the beginning they redeemed themselves somewhat later in the game, but Lightning just never clicked with me.

But none of those points made me hate the game or quit playing. I enjoyed both XIII and XIII-2, were they the games I wanted? No, but there was enough in both of them that I don't feel like I wasted my money or time.

PSN Gamercards

Feel free to add me as a friend. Just put "playstation forums" in the friend request.
Message 7 of 67 (3,756 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7210 posts

Aug 28, 2012

I was one of the people in line at the Best Buy midnight release to pick up Final Fantasy XIII and a copy of the Collector's Edition Strategy Guide. I got home and played the game pretty much until morning the next day.

I remember that I liked the game overall - in particular the music and the characters. I remember feeling a little confused about the storyline and what exactly was taking place at time, but that all seemed to fall away behind the fairly addicting battles.

It's not my favorite in the series, but it is definitely not one of the worst games either. 

I haven't had a chance to really go and do some of the Pulse sidequests, but eventually I will get around to tackling some of those extra bosses/battles.

Message 8 of 67 (3,751 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Aug 28, 2012

Obviously, there is no perfect game that everyone would love. What I can't tell is what exactly you guys are trying to say.

Did you not like the liner direction the game went because it didn't follow the tradtitional world map roaming or was it just simply a bad idea that it forced you to continue despite the how much experience you gained?

Message 9 of 67 (3,747 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Aug 28, 2012

Vailintine wrote:

It's fine if it doesn't get read, lol. I'll get lucky if people even give me a straight answer at all. Thanks for you'r response though.

What about the gameplay did you not like exactly?

Gameplay is a pretty general term, as it's pretty much the whole point of the game :smileywink:

To break it down, I'll start with the combat system. For me this game was truely child's play. There was very little to no challenge in the game at all. There were two boss fights that I had to start over. Not because I died, but because I ran out of time. There was no strategy at all outside of setting up your paradigms which after getting a good set together you rarely, if ever, changed it.

For side quests, there really weren't any. All that the game had to offer were monster hunts, which after you do a dozen they all become boring and repetative. X started it, XII was more like XIII, but in both cases the game had additional side quests that expanded the story and lore of the world.

For no world map/linearity this one doesn't bother me as much as it bothers others. The game, honestly, is not much more linear than FFX was. X was straight tunnels from point A to B to C and you had no choice but to follow that path until the end of the game when you get an airship. But, it still did allow that world travel, along with some special, secret, optional areas. XIII sort of had that with the archylte steppes.

Message 10 of 67 (3,744 Views)
0 Likes