Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Re: Why is Final Fantasy XIII a "bad game"?

Oct 5, 2012

Merton9999 wrote:

I definitely agree in the context of XIII's story that it wouldn't make sense to allow a return to the Cocoon areas.  You're also right that there's nothing to back for in terms of content.  

I'm not saying the way they designed this didn't make sense in the game world.  I just would have been happier had it not been designed that way.  Exploration and returning to old areas in previous games made sense with the story and offered rewards.  I missed this in XIII.

Having said that though, as a result of this design I thought the story was faster paced and more exciting than previous installments.  It was a decent trade-off, just not one that ultimately fits my taste.  

It's nitpicky from my perpective, fatal for others that really want some sense of free-roaming.  I always say the one thing that keeps me interested in the series as a whole is the drastic changes they make from game to game.  That doesn't mean I don't have a checklist of perfect features I'd love to be integrated into one game.  That's why I was so happy to see the Historia Crux alternate view with the glimpses of future areas.   

We all have a checklist, even if we don't think about it for every game.

I would like to ask, how would you design the exploration and travel to areas in the game?

I really wouldn't have a clue about the traveling issue since it didn't really bother me as other things. As for exploration I would have liked areas to have been more open and pathways wider than as narrow as they were. The world in the game was beautiful and the graphics helped with that, but the limitation did limit the enjoyment.

Message 41 of 67 (364 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Dark_arc wrote:

Too many to explain, but as a summary for me:

• Weak character development (storywise)
  • Counterintuitive leveling system, both for character development and item development
  • Eidolon system really disappointed me
  • Other things that take too long to talk about right now

I should say that these are things that were personal as problems. They were no objective problems, such as missing graphics, broken controls, etc. This is just what made it a bad game to me. However, I talked other people who played it after I beat it, and they had the same reasons for not liking it. It is a functioning game, but it does not hold my attention, nor does it draw me to it's sequels.

I understand that you wouldn't see the appeal in gameplay, but if you had no interest in the sequel then you didn't like the story so much.

Is it just the character's background that got you or is it other stuff?

I have played games with no character backgrounds or any develpment on who they even were, and the game turned out good. So, I just want to know what part of there develpment did you not like?

Message 42 of 67 (363 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Oct 5, 2012

I agree the world was gorgeous.  After I got to the part in Sunleth Waterspace that opened up to the sky I just sat there for hours swinging the camera around and marvelling at what they designed - the aurora, the other side of Cocoon visible in the sky.  That's why I say the travelling aspect was nitpicking for me.  It was a little "what-if" sigh at the back of mind as I was really enjoying what I was seeing and playing.

The lack of exploration fit with the story, so I don't know how I would have added the wondering traveller aspect while keeping the same fast-paced narrative.  What I'm saying is I would give up that pace and structure to have more free roaming back.

It doesn't have to be a complex system to do the job though, because the Historia Crux alternate view gave me enough in this respect.  Maybe just a 3 dimensional map of inner cocoon that one of Lightning's gadgets could conjure.  It sounds dumb if it doesn't serve a purpose though.  

One thing they could have done along those lines is at least provided a reason to linger in places longer.  For example, I would have enjoyed a couple games in Nautilus.  They did a good job with the hunts on Pulse, but Cocoon was so beautiful I would have rather lingered there.

The idea is kind of troublesome going forward.  The moment FF becomes a visual work of art they design the story so you rush through the places that would have been great to look at.  It seemed mismatched.  Now Lightning Returns scares me.  The world will be free-roaming but there will be a doom clock that makes me paranoid to explore it.  Hmmm.

Message 43 of 67 (355 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Oct 5, 2012

Vailintine wrote:

Dark_arc wrote:

Too many to explain, but as a summary for me:

• Weak character development (storywise)
  • Counterintuitive leveling system, both for character development and item development
  • Eidolon system really disappointed me
  • Other things that take too long to talk about right now

I should say that these are things that were personal as problems. They were no objective problems, such as missing graphics, broken controls, etc. This is just what made it a bad game to me. However, I talked other people who played it after I beat it, and they had the same reasons for not liking it. It is a functioning game, but it does not hold my attention, nor does it draw me to it's sequels.

I understand that you wouldn't see the appeal in gameplay, but if you had no interest in the sequel then you didn't like the story so much.

Is it just the character's background that got you or is it other stuff?

I have played games with no character backgrounds or any develpment on who they even were, and the game turned out good. So, I just want to know what part of there develpment did you not like?

It was the complete lack of character development that I didn't like. It seemed like the game was trying to tell me that Lightning had changed so much, but she didn't actually change. It changed from "**bleep** you Snow, we are failures" to "**bleep** you Snow, we can do this". If she had actually changed, I would have been impressed, but there was no change in the tone of her voice, her facial expressions, and only minute changes in her actions.

I felt like Vanille and Sazh should have had similar kinds of character development, for obvious reasons, but Sazh was the only one of the two I felt had actual growth. Vanille was like a switch, no sign of guilt or complete guilt, no layers to her character.

With Snow, I was just expected to understand how much he loved Serah, and that was all he had, he was dedicated to the point of annoyance, and that was all his character was. While I didn't care much for the concept of his comrades in NORA, they were ignored for most of the game.His only chance to not seem like a dog with no master, and it isn't even used.

I don't even remember anything about Fang, I didn't use her, and I didn't pay enough attention to her for me to say her character was good or bad.

Hope changed, but I couldn't get attached to him at any point enough to care about him. So I felt like his changed was from intolerable, to not quite as intolerable, which I would consider weak character development. He wouldn't stop complaining, "I lost something, I hate Snow, I hate Snow. WAH!" I felt like that plotpoint was forced, and I didn't really care for it. I felt like saying, "Why is he **bleep**? Snow didn't do anything, shut up kid!"

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Message 44 of 67 (354 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1135 posts

Oct 6, 2012

FF13 was very unoriginal and too many Anime freaks start running around saying "Lightening is soo awesome!". It's just annoying.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like waffles
Message 45 of 67 (346 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Oct 8, 2012
Horrible battle system, too linear, Square needs to just go back to old school ABT
Message 46 of 67 (336 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Oct 10, 2012
Is not a bad game, is just not as good as the previous FFs. People just like to hate it because everybody else does.
It has decent character development
It has entertaining Eidolon system
It has awesome battle system and grapchis, wich are imo the strongest points of the game, are they enough to make it one of the best? not even close, is one of the worst? Hell no!
Message 47 of 67 (327 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Oct 10, 2012

Merton9999 wrote:

I agree the world was gorgeous.  After I got to the part in Sunleth Waterspace that opened up to the sky I just sat there for hours swinging the camera around and marvelling at what they designed - the aurora, the other side of Cocoon visible in the sky.  That's why I say the travelling aspect was nitpicking for me.  It was a little "what-if" sigh at the back of mind as I was really enjoying what I was seeing and playing.

The lack of exploration fit with the story, so I don't know how I would have added the wondering traveller aspect while keeping the same fast-paced narrative.  What I'm saying is I would give up that pace and structure to have more free roaming back.

It doesn't have to be a complex system to do the job though, because the Historia Crux alternate view gave me enough in this respect.  Maybe just a 3 dimensional map of inner cocoon that one of Lightning's gadgets could conjure.  It sounds dumb if it doesn't serve a purpose though.  

One thing they could have done along those lines is at least provided a reason to linger in places longer.  For example, I would have enjoyed a couple games in Nautilus.  They did a good job with the hunts on Pulse, but Cocoon was so beautiful I would have rather lingered there.

The idea is kind of troublesome going forward.  The moment FF becomes a visual work of art they design the story so you rush through the places that would have been great to look at.  It seemed mismatched.  Now Lightning Returns scares me.  The world will be free-roaming but there will be a doom clock that makes me paranoid to explore it.  Hmmm.

Well, as far as Lightning Returns goes. I would say that they want us to play it more than just one run through of the game.

I only played the original XIII twice and XIII-2 once. I don't think I would go about it again because I feel like it would be a waste of everything I did.

It's kinda how I felt for XIII at first. I admit I do like the story, it's just that I am one of the few who have difficulty mastering the battle system.

Message 48 of 67 (322 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
134 posts

Oct 10, 2012

@Dark_arc:

Well, I wouldn't really say I would care so much as her tone or facial expression. I mean, even back in PS2 days, voice actors weren't the best as far as video games went. And they were simple pixels that you couldn't make out a face. Especially PS1 times, when Final Fantasy 7-9 came out.

I understand that the characters don't have 'amazing' personality traits, but I guess people mean to say they look cool. I believe Lightning has the "I believe it when I see it" and "No orders me around" attitude. 

I don't know if Square-Enix is losing ideas, or that's how the creator for the story just saw her as. Maybe he had the perfect Lightning that we just can't see.

Message 49 of 67 (320 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Oct 11, 2012

Vailintine wrote:

@Dark_arc:

Well, I wouldn't really say I would care so much as her tone or facial expression. I mean, even back in PS2 days, voice actors weren't the best as far as video games went. And they were simple pixels that you couldn't make out a face. Especially PS1 times, when Final Fantasy 7-9 came out.

I understand that the characters don't have 'amazing' personality traits, but I guess people mean to say they look cool. I believe Lightning has the "I believe it when I see it" and "No orders me around" attitude. 

I don't know if Square-Enix is losing ideas, or that's how the creator for the story just saw her as. Maybe he had the perfect Lightning that we just can't see.

The thing is in Japan series/mangas/videogames the character are worked around archtypes, and after 13+ titles, you are bound to get short on ideas sooner or later

Message 50 of 67 (315 Views)
0 Likes