Monster Hunter
43 posts

Re: What happened to ffxii characters???

Jul 3, 2009

KyleStMartin wrote:
I am by no means a fan of FFXII, nor do I know the story all that well (I gave up at the Phon Coast...) but now that I think about it a little more; what about the connection Vaan and Ashe have, being the only ones who can see the spirit of her late husband? Just throwing that out there...

They never really expanded on it. They should've though.

Message 31 of 35 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jul 3, 2009

KyleStMartin wrote:
I am by no means a fan of FFXII, nor do I know the story all that well (I gave up at the Phon Coast...) but now that I think about it a little more; what about the connection Vaan and Ashe have, being the only ones who can see the spirit of her late husband? Just throwing that out there...
Vaan explained that he saw his brother.  It's inferred that everyone saw a deceased loved one.  It was merely the Occuria trying to gain the trust of the group.

Message 32 of 35 (8 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jul 4, 2009

Truthfully, while I believe XII is a good game, with lots of extras and great music - I do believe that the story and the characters fell short in full development.  I'm playing my second play through, hoping to acheive Order of Ambrosia status this time, and some parts of the storyline still have me a little confused.  With help, I'll grant that I can see another's vision, but - well I'm not so sure it's clear for me, even with someone's interpretation clearly presented to me.

Still, I consider XII a good game due to what it does have character and storywise.  It's graphics and it's music are excellent.  I can agree (with the one person I came across to type this) that when zones change, I do feel like I've traveled some distance, and am not 'close to home.'  The parts of the story I can appreciate show that relationships influence life, that life is not just one's little world and one's own problems and priorities.  Life goes deeper and is much more complex than that.  One has to open their eyes (like Ashe did) to see this; utter chaos could ensue if it is not done, who knows where it would cast everyone involved and/or affected.

Honestly, the game play attracted me more so than the storyline.  Meaning, the extra hunts one can go on, equiping a new piece of accessories could gain you rarer and more valuable objects.  New enemies could pop up at any time, and what were the requirements for those rare creatures again?  It's grabbing to the eyes, ears and mind, all at once. :smileyhappy:  Of course, this is my own opinion.

~ Arianna ~
Message 33 of 35 (8 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jul 4, 2009

TheHolySummon wrote:

Truthfully, while I believe XII is a good game, with lots of extras and great music - I do believe that the story and the characters fell short in full development.  I'm playing my second play through, hoping to acheive Order of Ambrosia status this time, and some parts of the storyline still have me a little confused.  With help, I'll grant that I can see another's vision, but - well I'm not so sure it's clear for me, even with someone's interpretation clearly presented to me.

Still, I consider XII a good game due to what it does have character and storywise.  It's graphics and it's music are excellent.  I can agree (with the one person I came across to type this) that when zones change, I do feel like I've traveled some distance, and am not 'close to home.'  The parts of the story I can appreciate show that relationships influence life, that life is not just one's little world and one's own problems and priorities.  Life goes deeper and is much more complex than that.  One has to open their eyes (like Ashe did) to see this; utter chaos could ensue if it is not done, who knows where it would cast everyone involved and/or affected.

Honestly, the game play attracted me more so than the storyline.  Meaning, the extra hunts one can go on, equiping a new piece of accessories could gain you rarer and more valuable objects.  New enemies could pop up at any time, and what were the requirements for those rare creatures again?  It's grabbing to the eyes, ears and mind, all at once. :smileyhappy:  Of course, this is my own opinion.

Yeah, it's hard to grasp things, story-wise.  The dialogue goes by fast, and with the Shakespearean nonsense going on, things can get confusing.  I have to admit, I only started to understand the story on my 3rd play-through, when I payed attention to facial expressions, and I saw every line had more to it than I thought beforehand.

Message 34 of 35 (8 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jul 4, 2009

JohnnyBadger wrote:

Yeah, it's hard to grasp things, story-wise.  The dialogue goes by fast, and with the Shakespearean nonsense going on, things can get confusing.  I have to admit, I only started to understand the story on my 3rd play-through, when I payed attention to facial expressions, and I saw every line had more to it than I thought beforehand.

Exactly.  It's so political and so intertwined with everyone else, almost all over the world - it's hard to grasp who, where, why, for what...  It's really complex.  It's a game that actually requires thinking, instead of just button mashing. 

Now, I am not trying to be rude to 'button mashers' or people who admire less mentally engaging games.  I'm just saying XII is a game that also requires some thought on strategy - as much (not much!) as I know of such a thing!

~ Arianna ~
Message 35 of 35 (8 Views)
0 Likes