Sackboy
504 posts

Re: What happened to ffxii characters???

Jul 2, 2009
FF12 characters and story were mediocre at best. The game potential but i felt like gambits made the game way too easy. I literally fell asleep playing this game 2 times because i never had to do anything.
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jul 2, 2009

JohnnyBadger wrote:

Beowulf304 wrote:
nice to see how FFXII fanboys are kudoing people who defend the game. Real worthy reason for a kudo.... Gotta stick together when your so few in number...
Vaan- We meet Vaan as a petty thief.  Backtracking a bit, we learn he was orphaned when the plague came and took his parents.  He grew up with his brother Reks.  When Archades and Rozzaria enter war, Archadia begins a march across Ivalice, conquering all the small countries.  Landis was the first to fall, then Nabudis.  Not wanting war, Dalmasca prepares to sign a treaty with Archades.  Reks enlists in the military and is severely injured.  Reks soon dies afterward.  Back to the present, we Vaan proclaiming he wants to be a sky pirate.  Later in the game at Jahara, Vaan tells Ashe that he only says he wants to sky pirate as a way to run away from his problems.  For the rest of the game we see Vaan more mature and facing his problems head on.

funny how most of the stuff you write about Van is abot the war and his brother, NOT directly about him and how he starts. also you really did not show much how he grows, you just showed point a to point b. which is why i still think the game has a bad char development.

i wonder if people who played the XII were people who either it was their first FF or their second (the first being XI) but that's just a crazy theory and i know i will get refuted by the next guy who replies to this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://freestylelance.blogspot.com/ JUST STARTED A BLOG; GIVE IT TIME TO GROW BUT DO CHECK IT OUT!!!

ID: de5gravity
games: dead space, resistance 2, LBP, the darkness, soul calibur 4, bioshock, prototype, flowers, rag doll kung fu, persona 4, guitar hero, star ocean 2nd evolution, the orange box, every single DMC lol
rented: cod 4, infamous, street fighter 4, virtua fighter 5, red faction guerrilla
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jul 2, 2009

JohnnyBadger wrote:

Beowulf304 wrote:
nice to see how FFXII fanboys are kudoing people who defend the game. Real worthy reason for a kudo.... Gotta stick together when your so few in number...
You sure are mature chief.

Vaan- We meet Vaan as a petty thief.  Backtracking a bit, we learn he was orphaned when the plague came and took his parents.  He grew up with his brother Reks.  When Archades and Rozzaria enter war, Archadia begins a march across Ivalice, conquering all the small countries.  Landis was the first to fall, then Nabudis.  Not wanting war, Dalmasca prepares to sign a treaty with Archades.  Reks enlists in the military and is severely injured.  Reks soon dies afterward.  Back to the present, we Vaan proclaiming he wants to be a sky pirate.  Later in the game at Jahara, Vaan tells Ashe that he only says he wants to sky pirate as a way to run away from his problems.  For the rest of the game we see Vaan more mature and facing his problems head on.

Ashe- Ashe is the princess of Dalmasca.  She married the prince of Nabudis, Rassler.  Rassler dies in war.  When Ashe's father is assasinated, the Marquis Ondore announces that she commited suicide.  Ashe goes into hiding, plotting with the Resistance in order to take back her throne. ** Now before we go on any further with Ashe, I'd like to clear up things with Ashe's attitude.  She is stern and confident.  After you get robbed of throne, I think you would be angry.  She can't go around complementing people and making tea for them, she has to save her kingdom. **  Now back to Ashe.  When nethicite comes into the picture, it's really where her ark starts.  For the rest of the game she is in a search for power.  When confronted by the Occuria, she learns of how history was governed by the Occuria.  At the Ridoran Cataract, Ashe is given the oppurtunity to get the power she needs to take back her thrown.  In fear that she would play puppet to Occuria, and end up thirsty for power like Vayne, Ashe destroys the nethicite.

Balthier-  Balthier is the son of Doctor Cid, the head of the Draklor Laboratory.  Doctor Cid uses his power in the Archades government to appoint Balthier as a judge.  After the destruction of Nabudis, Balthier is disgusted by Archades, and how his father is changing.  Balthier relinquishes his title as judge and runs away to become a sky pirate.  When he bumps into Vaan and gets entangled in story, Balthier decides to stick it out with the gang in order to see things through with his father and Archades.

that shows us what happened to them, it doesn't tell us who they are.They don't have personallities, they are just bland. You have to look deeper than just events. As I said before, the character just don't interact.  The only things they say to eachother is pretty much what's happening with the war and the world.  They don't talk about each other. They don't socially interact like human beings. They are like 2 guys at the office talking to eachother about how the company is doing. Come on? You think that's all people talk about?

And I said that because it ticks me off when people get kudos for saying Generally saying: No it doesn't suck. I'm not insinuating that saying: the game sucks it kudo worth either

Message Edited by Beowulf304 on 07-02-2009 12:35 PM
Message Edited by Beowulf304 on 07-02-2009 12:39 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jul 2, 2009

Beowulf304 wrote:

JohnnyBadger wrote:

Beowulf304 wrote:

Ashe- Ashe is the princess of Dalmasca.  She married the prince of Nabudis, Rassler.  Rassler dies in war.  When Ashe's father is assasinated, the Marquis Ondore announces that she commited suicide.  Ashe goes into hiding, plotting with the Resistance in order to take back her throne. ** Now before we go on any further with Ashe, I'd like to clear up things with Ashe's attitude.  She is stern and confident.  After you get robbed of throne, I think you would be angry.  She can't go around complementing people and making tea for them, she has to save her kingdom. **  Now back to Ashe.  When nethicite comes into the picture, it's really where her ark starts.  For the rest of the game she is in a search for power.  When confronted by the Occuria, she learns of how history was governed by the Occuria.  At the Ridoran Cataract, Ashe is given the oppurtunity to get the power she needs to take back her thrown.  In fear that she would play puppet to Occuria, and end up thirsty for power like Vayne, Ashe destroys the nethicite.

Balthier-  Balthier is the son of Doctor Cid, the head of the Draklor Laboratory.  Doctor Cid uses his power in the Archades government to appoint Balthier as a judge.  After the destruction of Nabudis, Balthier is disgusted by Archades, and how his father is changing.  Balthier relinquishes his title as judge and runs away to become a sky pirate.  When he bumps into Vaan and gets entangled in story, Balthier decides to stick it out with the gang in order to see things through with his father and Archades.

that shows us what happened to them, it doesn't tell us who they are.They don't have personallities, they are just bland. You have to look deeper than just events. As I said before, the character just don't interact.  The only things they say to eachother is pretty much what's happening with the war and the world.  They don't talk about each other. They don't socially interact like human beings. They are like 2 guys at the office talking to eachother about how the company is doing. Come on? You think that's all people talk about?

And I said that because it ticks me off when people get kudos for saying Generally saying: No it doesn't suck. I'm not insinuating that saying: the game sucks it kudo worth either

Okay, so maybe I should have elaborated more on their personalities.  My bad.  But just because they haven't gone from happy to sad, doesn't mean they haven't grown.  They go beyond typical stereotypes that plagued FFVII-FFX.  They are human.  You can't just say Balthier is witty guy, there is so much more to him.  Sure, there wasn't a melodramatic moment that suddenly changed his personality, but he still grew as character.

I agree with you on this sorta.  But in the end, that is all irrelevant to story.  If they were to stop to talk about who has a crush on who, it just wouldn't fit in.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jul 2, 2009

JohnnyBadger wrote:

Beowulf304 wrote:

JohnnyBadger wrote:

Beowulf304 wrote:

Okay, so maybe I should have elaborated more on their personalities.  My bad.  But just because they haven't gone from happy to sad, doesn't mean they haven't grown.  They go beyond typical stereotypes that plagued FFVII-FFX.  They are human.  You can't just say Balthier is witty guy, there is so much more to him.  Sure, there wasn't a melodramatic moment that suddenly changed his personality, but he still grew as character.

I agree with you on this sorta.  But in the end, that is all irrelevant to story.  If they were to stop to talk about who has a crush on who, it just wouldn't fit in.

I guess there just wasn't enough emotion in this game for me.  Atleast I couldn't find any.  FFVII was the ONLY video game that made my eyes water.  This game was an atempt to try something different. Others liked, others didn't. It just didn't do it for me.
Message Edited by Beowulf304 on 07-02-2009 01:29 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jul 2, 2009

Beowulf304 wrote:

I guess there just wasn't enough emotion in this game for me.  Atleast I couldn't find any.  FFVII was the ONLY video game that made my eyes water.  This game was an atempt to try something different. Others liked, others didn't. It just didn't do it for me.

same thing (except for the eyes water part). i really did not feel anything from FFXII. i guess there really is nothing that all FF fans can agree on...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://freestylelance.blogspot.com/ JUST STARTED A BLOG; GIVE IT TIME TO GROW BUT DO CHECK IT OUT!!!

ID: de5gravity
games: dead space, resistance 2, LBP, the darkness, soul calibur 4, bioshock, prototype, flowers, rag doll kung fu, persona 4, guitar hero, star ocean 2nd evolution, the orange box, every single DMC lol
rented: cod 4, infamous, street fighter 4, virtua fighter 5, red faction guerrilla
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Jul 2, 2009

I liked Balthier, Basch (sp?) and Ashe. The other 3 were blah characters in my opinion. While there was far less character development then in say FFIX, I still enjoyed those 3 characters. I enjoyed the story line. I did like the fact that I could leave out the 3 characters that I didn't care for. Unlike in the PS1 FF titles where I was pretty well stuck with Cloud and Squall all the time. While in IX you were 'stuck' with Zidane for 95% of the game, at least I enjoyed his character.

As far as XIII's set of characters, I don't know enough about any of them right now to form much of an opinion about them. It is nice to see a solid Female lead finally in an FF title.  Yuna wasn't the main character in X and in X-2 she didn't have the same feel to her. Well actually I guess Terra in FFVI was pretty much the main character. Any way, so far looks good.

Message Edited by PapaWarlock on 07-02-2009 05:33 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
191 posts

Jul 2, 2009

I really enjoyed FFXII and I didn't really find that the characters detracted any from it.

I do agree that Vaan was a little whiney and at times annoying. As the game progressed though, he improved greatly. By the end, he was nothing like his former whiney self.

Another SE game that I finished recently is Star Ocean: The Last Hope. This is another game where the main character is a whiner. In fact, I spent most of the game wanting to reach through the screen and slap him one. To top it off, SO:TLH had Lymle who literally ended every sentence with "kay". That's the first time I ever played a game where one character was so annoying that I just had to swap them out to avoid listening to them during battle.

Here's hoping the characters in FFXIII are a little more mature, but let's face it... at this point the story is complete and no amount of hoping is going to change what's already written.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1087 posts

Jul 2, 2009

I realize that no matter what I say isn't going to change some of your minds; mostly the two who continually post saying that everything everyone is saying in favor of the game is rubbish, but what the hey (I'm bored at work).

Vaan has the most blantant growth in a character that I've seen in any FF.  He's a little whiney kid who is a theif and wants to be a sky pirate and through the game he comes around to being more of an adult and doing something about his problems rather than just complaining.  I don't remember exactly when it was but there was a scene where he basically spilled it all out and his entire stature was more mature from there on out, very well done.

Ashe doesn't progress that much, but I thought it was best described by another person as her quest for power and then when confronted with the opportunity, she destroys it.
Balthier was baddass of the group of sorts, he's very confident and seems like everything is at his fingertips, yet there is more to him as you go on and find out about his Dad and such.

Penelo annoyed me but she still grew closer to Vaan as the game progressed; obvious and predictable.

Fran I honestly don't remember the point of other than she follows Balthier around a lot and is a tribute to Playboy bunnies everywhere, lol.

Oh and FFXII was not my first FF to play, I beat FF1 through FF10 before all that (and I'm no fanboy of XII, VI is my fav and I hate VIII with a passion, but that's another forum) so I think I know a little bit about the series.  I think a lot of people went into XII with a grudge for two reasons: it took forever to come out AND it came out on the heels of the Ps3 so we wondered why it was on the Ps2.  If I start playing a game thinking "this is gonna suck" it doesn't matter how good it is; I'm going to not like it and not pay enough attention to pick up on it's true potential.  That's probably what happened for you guys.  Try playing it again with an open mind and paying more attention to the story, it's actually quite good.

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Jul 3, 2009
I am by no means a fan of FFXII, nor do I know the story all that well (I gave up at the Phon Coast...) but now that I think about it a little more; what about the connection Vaan and Ashe have, being the only ones who can see the spirit of her late husband? Just throwing that out there...
I have personally killed 6,078 men in cold blood while looking them in the eye; jumped on 1,455 live grenades; and stuffed fourteen feet of my own intestine back into my stomach. If that doesn't scare you out of your frilly pink leotards, guess what: You are an idiot and you hate America.
-The Soldier
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 35 (10 Views)
0 Likes