Nov 03 2003
By: 90210~ Wastelander 741 posts

VIII question (Spoiler)

9 replies 5 views Edited Nov 3, 2003
Is there anyway for Laguna to say that he and rain are squalls parents or is it just implied
Message 1 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10751 posts

Re: VIII question (Spoiler)

Nov 3, 2003
It's just implied...strongly!
Message 2 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1998 posts

Nov 3, 2003
ive finished ff8... i dont remember anythign about laguna being sqalls father...
Message 3 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
19 posts

Nov 3, 2003
It is indeed strongly implied.   Afte all it is rare that they come out and say stuff like that in games, or at least Square...anyway. 
"One thing I've learned about vampires ­ they keep pulling new rabbits out of their cloaks. Big, fanged, carnivorous bunnies that'll eat your eyeballs if you're not paying attention"Anita Blake
Message 4 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4818 posts

Nov 4, 2003

,90210 wrote:
Is there anyway for Laguna to say that he and rain are squalls parents or is it just implied

WHAT WHAT? Where is this implied? There is no such thing as far as I can remember that implies Laguna and Raine are Squalls parents...
"I am the way into the doleful city, I am the way into eternal grief, I am the way into a forsaken race. Justice it was that moved my great creator; divine omnipotence created me, and highest wisdom joined with primal love. Before me nothing but eternal things things were made, and shall last eternally. Abandon all hope, all you who enter"
Message 5 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10751 posts

Nov 4, 2003

,Default User wrote:

WHAT WHAT? Where is this implied? There is no such thing as far as I can remember that implies Laguna and Raine are Squalls parents...

I'll start with the first last: In Esthar Kiros asks Laguna "Are you going to tell him?"  before Squall arrives. (It's been awhile so I don't know if that's verbatim.)  When Squall does arrive and hears Laguna's history, Laguna says that there is more to tell, but later after they've saved the world.  Going back a little farther, we are given enough of Laguna's history and "timeline" to realize that Raine and Laguna were married (which is confirmed in the ending sequence) and that Raine gave birth to Squall while Laguna was looking for Elaine, Raine's niece.  Elaine was consistantly referred to as Squall's "big sister"...so again there were family ties implied.  There are other nuances that are debatable but I was in no doubt at the end of FFVIII that Laguna was Squall's father.
Message 6 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4818 posts

Nov 4, 2003

,maricam wrote:

,Default User wrote:

I'll start with the first last: In Esthar Kiros asks Laguna "Are you going to tell him?"  before Squall arrives. (It's been awhile so I don't know if that's verbatim.)  When Squall does arrive and hears Laguna's history, Laguna says that there is more to tell, but later after they've saved the world.  Going back a little farther, we are given enough of Laguna's history and "timeline" to realize that Raine and Laguna were married (which is confirmed in the ending sequence) and that Raine gave birth to Squall while Laguna was looking for Elaine, Raine's niece.  Elaine was consistantly referred to as Squall's "big sister"...so again there were family ties implied.  There are other nuances that are debatable but I was in no doubt at the end of FFVIII that Laguna was Squall's father.
They never said it though so I guess it's all up to the person who wants to believe or not to believe.
"I am the way into the doleful city, I am the way into eternal grief, I am the way into a forsaken race. Justice it was that moved my great creator; divine omnipotence created me, and highest wisdom joined with primal love. Before me nothing but eternal things things were made, and shall last eternally. Abandon all hope, all you who enter"
Message 7 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10751 posts

Nov 4, 2003

,Default User wrote:

They never said it though ...
Erm...yes.  Which explains why I used the word "implied".  You may certainly believe whatever you like but how else would you explain what Kiros said?   
Message 8 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4818 posts

Nov 4, 2003

,maricam wrote:

,Default User wrote:

They never said it though ...
Erm...yes.  Which explains why I used the word "implied".  You may certainly believe whatever you like but how else would you explain what Kiros said?   

I would explain it by....Kiros? That clown? He can't even dress himself decently why should you pay attention to him?
Message 9 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4924 posts

Nov 4, 2003

,Default User wrote:

,maricam wrote:

,Default User wrote:

They never said it though so I guess it's all up to the person who wants to believe or not to believe.

Those are only some examples from the game, if you pay attention to what is said in the various conversations and put them together you'll see they spell it out for you, between the lines of course.  Like if you talk to the town people where Raine used to live they practically give you her life story about the man that walked out on her, her son, etc.   It's been a good two years since I last played that game but I do remember that Raine was married to Laguna, (her tombstone reads Raine Loire), and several people you talk to refer to Laguna as Squall's dad. 
Message 10 of 10 (5 Views)
0 Likes