Highlighted
Nov 10 2003
By: Mysterious_Otter Keyblade Wielder 10751 posts

Thoughts after playing the FFX-2 demo

19 replies 5 views Edited Nov 10, 2003

First, anyone who has read my previous posts about FFX-2 knows that I wasn't expecting much.  They also know that I hate Rikku and anything to do with Rikku therefore any game that had Rikku in it was doomed in my not so humble opinion.

Having said that I must admit that the demo wasn't that bad.  The graphics are outstanding as usual...though the demo seemed a bit blurry in places.  If I had a complaint about graphics (and I've made this complaint before) it's that newer games have too much detail and it's hard to find things; stuff gets lost in all the background detail. 

The music was okay.  Not exactly my style, but not nearly as annoying as I was thinking it might have been.  I liked the opening theme--very slow and relaxing and...melancholy.

I do NOT like the jumping/climbing.  As I was hopping around I had an unpleasant flashback to Xenogears Babel Tower *cringe*.  I don't like that I can't rotate the camera.  Too often I was just jumping blind, following the map instead of what was on the screen.  So, I don't consider the jumping an improvement.

I wasn't always able to watch the action.  I was too busy manipulating the menu, picking costumes and attacks.  I felt like I missed most of the game.

The voice acting...I'm just as indifferent to it as I ever have been.  I especially hate Rikku's squeaky voice.  It's annoying beyond endurance.  I hope there is an option for subtitles only--I'll put that girl on mute.  Paine's comments were often lost in the background music because her voice is so low.  In other words, the sound could've been mixed better...and Rikku's voice should be recast.

Hated the outfits.  The thongs, hip-huggers, hot pants, plunging necklines, and uber-tight clothing were just plain ugly.  There wasn't one outfit aside from Healer that didn't make the character look like a low end prostitute.  It would've helped if the characters had been at all attractive but they aren't.  These are the most homely gaggle of girls I think I've ever seen in a video game.  And LeBlanc looks like a drag queen.  Skimpy clothing does not equal femininity. 

I liked the return to jobs.  It was nice to be able to change jobs within a battle and the abilities were pretty good too!  These characters are no wimps, that's for sure.

That's about it for now.  I definitely will NOT buy FFX but I WILL rent it for sure now...give it a good once over.  I can overlook ugly characters and even annoying voice-overs.  I can even tolerate the jumping for the most part.  The gameplay looks like it has potential and though I liked the ending of FFX, seeing this "epilogue" won't spoil that for me.

Message 1 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1624 posts

Re: Thoughts after playing the FFX-2 demo

Nov 10, 2003
Those are not the worst part of FFX-2, the story is.... wait untill you learn more about the story in FFX-2.... I remember I made a post/personal review on X-2 back in the first few days I came to these boards *A big novel size one, too LOL*, and I pretty much stated most of what you have stated.... by the way, how were the dialogue done in the US version, I meant the actual content, 'cause in my Japanese release these girls talk like no brainers which turned me totally off.... needless to say that I've lost all my respects to Rikku/Yuna from FFX.... though FFX sucked in my book, but I do respect Yuna or Rikku as characters - thought I'd add this 'cause it is one of the major reasons I disliked X-2 is that Yuna/Rikku changes from respectful individuals to... "low life street walkers" - maricam....

Message Edited by Xin on 11-09-2003 11:41 PM

Message 2 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1230 posts

Nov 10, 2003
You know, I agree with you on the voice acting. (I haven't played the demo, but heard on the site) the only one i really liked was Gippel, he sounds cool! lol.  other than that the voice acting is making me cringe....but to me, Jade's version of Real Emotion makes up for it! lol i love it! *hem* so anyway--
GAP member
Message 3 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10751 posts

Nov 10, 2003

,Xin wrote:
Those are not the worst part of FFX-2, the story is.... wait untill you learn more about the story in FFX-2.... I remember I made a post/personal review on X-2 back in the first few days I came to these boards *A big novel size one, too LOL*, and I pretty much stated most of what you have stated.... by the way, how were the dialogue done in the US version, I meant the actual content, 'cause in my Japanese release these girls talk like no brainers which turned me totally off.... needless to say that I've lost all my respects to Rikku/Yuna from FFX....

They didn't have much to say in the demo...which sounds like it might have been a good thing! LOL!  I also watched the recent FFX-2 demo which was more of a short movie.  Again, not really enough dialogue for me to get an idea of "how" the girls talked, but Rikku's helium voice is annoying no matter what she says.

I was hoping the story would at least be "charming".  I certainly wasn't expecting anything deep.  FFX was such a shallow game, I didn't expect the sequel to be any less shallow.

Message 4 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1624 posts

Nov 10, 2003

,maricam wrote:

They didn't have much to say in the demo...which sounds like it might have been a good thing! LOL!  I also watched the recent FFX-2 demo which was more of a short movie.  Again, not really enough dialogue for me to get an idea of "how" the girls talked, but Rikku's helium voice is annoying no matter what she says.

I was hoping the story would at least be "charming".  I certainly wasn't expecting anything deep.  FFX was such a shallow game, I didn't expect the sequel to be any less shallow.

Well, you'd be surprised....
Message 5 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10751 posts

Nov 10, 2003

,Xin wrote:

Well, you'd be surprised....

Well...rats!

Hey, would you be so kind as to look up your original review of FFX-2 and post the URL?  I'd love to read it.

Message 6 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1230 posts

Nov 10, 2003
i'm just curious on how they combined the whole story with like, Lenne and shuin, Gippel Nooj and Baralai, the sphere with the truth of spira, etc with the soo many different options you have on where to go in FFX-2.
GAP member
Message 7 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1624 posts

Nov 10, 2003

Just looked over my Member's info and anything seems impossible to find, I'll just write a new one when I have time... plus I advanced the game a little further, too! *lol from 3% around a year ago all the way up to 16% currently busy with THPS 4 now so X-2 will have to wait... again...*

The game is comming out soon so you should be able to get more accurate/averaged reviews on the internet... GameSpot's readers' reviews or gamereviews both give a pretty accurate impression on what most people feel about the game.... the average score is what I usually look for, since each reviewer is different - say some may give X-2 a 6 or even 8, I'll probably just give it 1 or 2 for trying...

Whatever for a quick overview of the game, may contain spoilers; as you all know that Yuna is a quest to find her lost love, Rikku is the same old Rikku from FFX only this time she's lost her mind and became more annoying, Paine is newly introduced to FFX-2, yet she's the one who actually have a bit story to tell so I'll probably leave that for now since X-2 isn't really a game filled with surprises....

The game plays, once again as you all heard, missions... why? I dunno, but some missions will grant you some spheres, movie spheres are what you are looking for; but why not take some of the excellent dress spheres as well? The transforming scene with dress spheres are done very nice, like the summon scenes, but where are the summons you ask? For those of you actually paid attention to the end of FFX, you were partly right, there are no summons in X-2.... however you'll see some familair faces like the Bahamut in one of the vids of X-2, and you realized that he looks darker right? Now for any of you who has playes FFX:International, it shouldn't be hard for you to realize that the summonses in X-2 are Machinas and are bosses as well (not all optional nor that hard), kind of like the Dark Aeons in FFX: International... people may wonder what are missions? Actually the only reason they are being called "missions" was because of the freedom the game gives, of course if you don't complete the missions in Story level 1 there's no way you can do a mission in Story level 4.... then you just explore the place until defeat the boss then mission ends. of course side quests are there, and there are many. But not all of them are fun, I've actually beaten a side quest where you had to travel around the world and ask different people for opinions *yes I know how fun is that* not to mention I didn't get anything significant other than 1% added to my manual screen.

The musics, were not nearly as good as FFX, and FFX didn't have a very impressive music score either... other than Zanarkand...

Graphics are a little better than FFX, don't expect it to be any significant improvement since the fact is that X-2 does use the same graphical engine as FFX... Square and their lazy bums...

Story, the only thing I'm going to say is find that out for yourselves, each of us will have different tastes for sure - some may like FFX, which I didn't... and some hated FFX story, like me.... the only thing I could tell you is that don't expect it to ever reach the same level as the two Xeno does; which interesting enough, 99.99% of the RPGamers agreed on that Xenogears had great if not the best storyline for a RPG....

Gameplay? It is a RPG, don't expect it to be as fun as games like Zone of the Enders 2ed Runner, which happens to be my fav. action game.... haven't played much genres other than RPGs anyways, but I know for sure that ZOE 2's gameplay beats any RPG out there.... The jumps and climbing doesn't work in this game imo.

Overall, this game is not for everyone, perhaps teenage boys will find something eye popping... sadly I've past that age long ago, maybe I should love it if i were 10 years younger.... the story, like I stated: we all have different tastes, so even if anyone argue that this game's story is DEEP, I've got nothing to say. IMO however, this game has no story, or a very lame one for that matter. Now, if you are a big FFun and feels that you absolutely have to get this game in order to have a completed collection, go ahead and have fun.

Message 8 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1624 posts

Nov 10, 2003

,_Yuna_ wrote:
i'm just curious on how they combined the whole story with like, Lenne and shuin, Gippel Nooj and Baralai, the sphere with the truth of spira, etc with the soo many different options you have on where to go in FFX-2.

hint: Lenne and Shuiin are what you learn from the spheres you collect, and they are supposedly to be related to Yuna and Tidus story in FFX... as for the other sphere hunters, they are the ones you meet, not necessary for the main plot...
Message 9 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10751 posts

Nov 10, 2003
Thanks for the input.  If I read your assessment and the other opinions at this board what I'm coming away with are two completely divergent views.  This game obviously is NOT for everyone--you either love it or you hate it.  I haven't heard anyone go on the record with a truly moderate view (though I think Tifa came the closest)...which I find interesting. 
Message 10 of 20 (5 Views)
0 Likes