Hekseville Citizen
426 posts

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Feb 13, 2012

I'm an oldschool FF fan. My favorites are FF2, FF3, FFVII, FFX and FF12. I got about 10 hours in FF13 and just didn't feel like playing it anymore. Story was boring the crap outta me and no exploration or towns. Maybe I don't want to let go of the past..lol. I'm assuming FF13-2 is more of the same. Should I give it another go?

One more old school turn based FF and I'd be happy.

Message 50 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Feb 13, 2012

I'll always consider myself an old school fan at heart just because I started way back with the original release of 1 and because to this day I still had the most fun with and most fond memories of FFII and III (US, now IV and VI).

In no way does that diminish my enjoyment of the new ones though.  I love XIII and XIII-2 for what they have rather than being upset at what they're missing.  It sounds a little pep-talky I admit but I enjoy the graphics, music and battle system so much I really wasn't bothered by the fact that XIII did away with half of what made FF games what they were.  What was there was just that good to me.

As far as XIII-2 I think you might be surprised.  SE almost went too far in listening to the complaints about FFXIII's linearity. There are actually NPCs to interact with, missions to accept outside the story, puzzles to break the monotony, interesting stuff to collect for a purpose, and much more variety in the battles.  Most notably, you can instantly return to anywhere you've been for additional quests and or just to stare at the scenery and do a host of optional stuff.  It actually reminds me of VI in many ways, and in no way is it tied down by the original's lack of exploration.  It's just missing a few things to me so far, but right now it feels like a great mix of new graphical and musical brilliance with just enough old school to tickle my nostalgia bone.

As far the the difficulty spike in XIII I'll go on about it a bit.  I did go for the platinum and got it a couple years ago because I loved the battle system that much, and that game's trophy requirements were all about the battles, unlike FFX (the only one I wish I never played) where the best rewards came from horrendous non-RPG dexterity challenges.

As with all FF, a little levelling goes a long way.  The cave in chapter 11 is a great place to do this.  Just a couple hours there will make a big difference.  Also, simple paradigm choices are huge too.  You'd be surprised what just a little thought and levelling will do here.  I admit it feels odd because the rest of the game didn't require this, but it's not bad to get used to.   The difficulty spike in chapter 11 was actually my favorite part of the game.

Also, you are not far from the end so you will be on to XIII-2 pretty soon.

I'm actually a fan of the AI based fights in the newer games.  It seemed bad at first that I didn't have to manually heal people but when it got into it I still felt like I was making all the same strategic and reactive decisions as before, I just didn't have to push 8 buttons to do it.  I actually get mad and bored now replaying old FF titles having to stop to heal with potions after battles.  It seems like annoying ancient grunt work to me, like how you had to buy potions one at a time in FF1   I'm all for making the game more a game and less of an assembly line chore.  The battles, story and artwork are what I like.  The more I can experience that the better.

Message 51 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
426 posts

Feb 14, 2012

Ok...you sold me. I'm gonna try FF13 again but from the beginning. Sounds as if I'll get FF13-2. Thanks for your input.

Message 52 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5541 posts

Feb 14, 2012

I finished the main story. FF XIII-2 is a must buy. The story is beautiful (even if "to be continued...") and it's fun to play although often too fast and easy. Or it can get nearly impossible.The characters are just... nice. I was afarid of Serah, she actually turned out to be a cool person. Noel is good, just a regular boy. Caius is a great villain. WIth good motivations, wrong idea to fulfill them.. The graphics IS a bit dumbed down compard to FF XIII, but the audio is terrific, even with an old DPL II receiver. Most of the music is pretty good.

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 53 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Feb 15, 2012

I beat FFXIII about a year ago, and to be honest, I don't remember much of what it was about. Something about becoming "branded" and having to defeat something or other to stop themselves from becoming monsters..? Some corrupt government? I don't know. All I remember was being frustrated that I couldn't control my party, that the characters were forgettable and I couldn't relate to a one of them (except MAYBE Lightning), and that it seemed as though they had 90% of their staff working on graphics, while the other 10% were rushing to just get something out.

I've been hearing FFXIII-2 is better in the story and advancement department, and might be worth getting. Is there any truth to that? I don't know.

Message 54 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5541 posts

Feb 15, 2012

Synysteria1134 wrote:

I beat FFXIII about a year ago, and to be honest, I don't remember much of what it was about. Something about becoming "branded" and having to defeat something or other to stop themselves from becoming monsters..? Some corrupt government? I don't know. All I remember was being frustrated that I couldn't control my party, that the characters were forgettable and I couldn't relate to a one of them (except MAYBE Lightning), and that it seemed as though they had 90% of their staff working on graphics, while the other 10% were rushing to just get something out.

I've been hearing FFXIII-2 is better in the story and advancement department, and might be worth getting. Is there any truth to that? I don't know.

To be honest that happens to me with at most any FF game. I get a full hang of the story only on the second playthrough. Instead, bizarre enough, I can recap already the FF XIII-2 story. Strange because being a time traveling one should be more complex. I have been actually surprised to see how ell the story flew through the jumps in time.

In any case to me both games are a must buy for anyone who likes the genre. FF XIII and FF XIII-2 are completely opposite in many ways. If FF XIII  has been the most linear, the sequel is the only one where one can go back to any location, both in space and in time <!!>. To be honest, again, I prefer the FF XIII linearity with the large exploration in the final chapters. Maybe because going from a place to another takes a good deal of loading time and also some events must be repeated for 100% completion. This shows what it happens following all customer complains. Not that some reviewers/people quit complaining anyway...

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 55 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 23, 2012

For me the top five final fantasys would be

1.FFVI

2.FFIV

3.FFVII

4.FFX

5.FFIII

I know an opinion cant be wrong and although I dont think XIII was an bad as what some people thought it was (personally i did enjoy myself, I don't know why games that are linear are always considered necessarily bad) but i do not think XIII is even close to the best in the franchise and would highly recomend all 5 of the games above for anyone who thinks XIII is the best in the series.

Message 56 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Feb 23, 2012

I recently finished it too, and quite agree.  I think I'll always be more a fan of the simpler yet emotional stories of the SNES era, where no one is a clone, a dream, or a puppet (blech), but I really liked the XIII-2 story, despite all the pedantic critiques about the "narrative".

I really felt for Noel, especially in his own story chapter, enjoyed watching Serah grow into a stronger woman, and Caius was a lot more engaging to me as a villain than the old pope in XIII.

Graphic wise, there were some things I liked a lot, but it didn't seem to have as many moments where my jaw dropped to the floor like in XIII.  I'm thinking of Sunleth Waterscape, for example, where XIII opened into that impossibly beautiful vista over the cliff, but nothing in XIII-2 seemed as memorable.  Where XIII-2 did shine though was in the little details.   The snow accumulating on the characters in Bresha 300, the customizable weather, the way areas would completely transform in different time periods and with different actions.  It's amazing how I wasn't too impressed with Yaschas 10 in the dark, but the totally different color pallette in 100 was gorgeous.  I loved watching the water droplets on the camera in Bresha 5, and then when the sun came out the view from the top of the steps to the waterfalls(?) in the background mountains was just incredible.  I was blown away by the details in the final area too.

I loved the soundtrack too.  The ecclectic feel sometimes is a bit off, but track-wise there's more memorable ones to me in this than any since VI.

Message 57 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8695 posts

Feb 29, 2012

Weidleface wrote:

I just want to get into XIII-2

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Soul Calibur V, Final Fantasy XIII

You will be very happy when you do.

Not that XIII was a bad game, but XIII-2 is so freaking awesome

~Fighting the Good Fight~
Message 58 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2433 posts

Mar 5, 2012

VI, X, and XIII are my favorites.

Message 59 of 81 (131 Views)
0 Likes