Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
683 posts

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Feb 8, 2012

what do you consider the best then?

http://slagzombie.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/tourettes-guy-01.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 40 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
456 posts

Feb 8, 2012

I don't really consider any of them to be "the best" because most of the time, they're one-upped by a sequel in the series. Albeit XIII was not as good, Square Enix was bound to have a slip-up and it was inevitable, but for the most part, Final Fantasy is often an ever-strengthening brand that continues to get better with each sequel. The only time one will be able to fully declare which one is the "best" is when Final Fantasy ends. Even then, it's all a matter of opinion, so continuing to debate about it is just going to result in wasted words.

Just have fun! Enjoy Final Fantasy instead of getting wrapped up in which one is the best.

Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
683 posts

Feb 8, 2012

Wise words.

http://slagzombie.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/tourettes-guy-01.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2050 posts

Feb 8, 2012

Oh, and interesting about your respective line-ups!

I immediately gravitated to Fang as my party leader, as she is the best commando (and so satisfying when you get Highwind <3). Lightning is the best ravager, so I had her in there, too.

Technically, Hope works out to be the best third party member, but Hope is awful, so I used Vanille as my ravager/medic/saboteur.

Girl power through and through!

Would liked to have fit Sazh into my party somehow, as he's the best character in the game (from a writing, dialogue and story perspective), but these gals just out-classed him. He's too old for this...stuff!

Spoony Bard

Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5540 posts

Feb 8, 2012

stickmen1 wrote:

Best Final Fantasy is XII? No wai. i think u mean VII.

If there will ever be a remake, yes. Otherwise, sorry, but anything below FF VIII can get just too boring. FF VII is a SNES game ported to the PSOne. The story is good, the FMVs are great and so on. But the gameplay graphics was outdated already when it came out.

Personally I quit playing for 10 years, before the Playstaton. I simply didn't enjoy those sprites, 2D graphics made of blocks and so on anymore. they all looked the same. It was since when I was a kid that to me the videogames had to be 3D (FF VII fits in the middle). I wasn't playing with the arcade machines either. Only pinball. I have been playing FF VI lately but I must force myself to pick it up again and end it. The story is great, but the gameplay.. Oh boy. Especially moving around is painful.

I enjoyed an heck of a lot FF VIII, and I have been hypnotized by FF X. When I put it on my very first time my reaction has simple been... WOW! And it isn't because I am graphics maniac (which I am, actually) because I still consider FF X the most beautiful Final Fantasy game ever. Thus even better looking than the 2 for the PS3. the only complain I have against it is the random encounter frequency. Otherwise it would be perfect.

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7859 posts

Feb 10, 2012

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

Weidleface wrote:

I don't mean to hijack this thread with my progress, but there's no sense in starting a new thread when I'm halfway finished. I blame Sushi.

I'm somewhere in Ch. 9. I'd imagine I'm close to the end of it. Regardless, I'm into now territory here since this is all stuff I didn't get to the first time around.I'm about to bust in on the Primarch, with my party being Lightning, Vanille, and Fang. Fang is straight BEASTING fools for me. Of course, the fact that I boosted her attack 100+ with a couple of accessories is a big part of that.

Paradigm wise, I'm mainly using Fang as a Commando, Lightning as a Ravager, and Vanille as a Medic/Ravager. Other than that, I like to run with a Commando/Saboteur/Synergist for a while during bigger battles.

Allow me to vent for a second- I think I've pinpointed my big issue with this game. There's an ABSURD amount of hand holding the entire game (saves everywhere, healing after every battle, linearity, etc.) and they try to make up for that with stupid encounters like that and enemies with unnecessarily large amounts of health to make battles more "difficult." That's not to say I'm not enjoying myself, but a lot of this seems silly. There's no reason a run-of-the-mill encounter with one or two enemies should take more than a minute or so.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Soul Calibur V, Final Fantasy XIII

Yep, you are at the end of Chapter 9, I just got past that part the other day. 

My main team/core is Lite-Brite/Nightlight/Lightning as a Commando (I have her strength over 300 with the help of equipment), Vanilla-Ice/Vanille as my medic/support role, and either Fang, or Sazh as my ravager/buff/debuffer (Sorry Snowglobe and Hope(less)) 

I was surprised as well to find that you healed completely between battles, but it makes sense during the early stages when there are times that you don't have a medic in your line-up.  So far I'm enjoying it, though the fight against the Primarch went on for a loooooong time.  It's interesting though, and some good plot/story progression is about to happen.

-SP

I've come a long way since my last update. I'm making my way towards Oerba after just getting Vanille's Eidolon (SO glad to have that crap over with). I'm torn between my parties. I liked my Sazh/Vanille/Fang lineup, but Lightning is a far better Ravager than Sazh. However, Sazh is my best Synergist. I'm tempted to throw both of them out for Hope te get the best of both worlds, but I hate him. That, and He's not as powerful as either of the others in any regard. My most common setup is Diversity (Rav/Med/Com).

The game seemed to really crank up the difficulty when I hit Ch. 11. All of a sudden, regular encounters are giving me more trouble than a majority of the bosses I've come across thus far. Granted, the CP reward matches the difficulty spike, but it makes me feel like I've either been missing the boat when it comes to leveling (again) that the game is overcompensating for itself. There is no reason for me to have to fight 7 enemies at once, especially when one of them is capable of buffing the others into indestructible godzilla monsters.

Honestly, there's a lot about this game that I like, but I just want to get it over with already. The story has lost a lot of its appeal in recent chapters, as it's gotten relatively predictable and drawn out. I think I'll have a little fun doing missions on Pulse, but don't expect me to go for the Plat or anything. I just want to get into XIII-2.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy X HD, inFAMOUS: Second Son
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7859 posts

Feb 10, 2012

ResidentZoidberg wrote:

Weidleface wrote:

Allow me to vent for a second- I think I've pinpointed my big issue with this game. There's an ABSURD amount of hand holding the entire game (saves everywhere, healing after every battle, linearity, etc.) and they try to make up for that with stupid encounters like that and enemies with unnecessarily large amounts of health to make battles more "difficult." That's not to say I'm not enjoying myself, but a lot of this seems silly. There's no reason a run-of-the-mill encounter with one or two enemies should take more than a minute or so.

Speaking of Persona 3, Final Fantasy XIII could've benefited from an AI system wherein low-level enemies will avoid you, or at least not go after you. That gets annoying late in the game when you're trying to get places, because fighting them just isn't time-effective for what dispatching them yields.

My Reviews:

You bring up another good point. I can't count the number of times I've been infuriated with the AI in this game. When I have 2 party members at 90% HP, and another one that's KOed, I DON'T want my medic wasting time healing the members in decent shape, for god's sake. And I don't understand the logic of the auto ballte sometimes. Why switch between thunder and sparkstrike, when it is usually more time effective (even if we're talking fractions of a second) to just use thunder over and over? Little things like that have been adding up for me, that's for sure.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5540 posts

Feb 11, 2012

Weidleface wrote:

You bring up another good point. I can't count the number of times I've been infuriated with the AI in this game. When I have 2 party members at 90% HP, and another one that's KOed, I DON'T want my medic wasting time healing the members in decent shape, for god's sake. And I don't understand the logic of the auto ballte sometimes. Why switch between thunder and sparkstrike, when it is usually more time effective (even if we're talking fractions of a second) to just use thunder over and over? Little things like that have been adding up for me, that's for sure.

Photobucket

It could be wrong, but it could be right. In some cases it's better to keep the current members on shape than to revive the KOed members. I tried it myself manually. Unless using phoenix down (and still that doesn't always help), by the time we resurrect a member another one is gone. So one may end up just resurrecting members with no progress.

Regarding the other handholdings... Does anyone really miss the times when after each battle we had to go into the menu and heal all members? I simply hated that, it didn't add any value to the game. Just a big annoyance. Same for the frequent saves (now autosaves in FF XIII-2). I for sure don't want to go back to when I had waste at least half an hour each it time it was game over. Sometimes replaying over and over the same cutscenes. or to keep playing at 4 am because I couldn't find a save point. They don't make the game easier, justr more user friendly.

----
Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7859 posts

Feb 12, 2012

Michelasso wrote:

Regarding the other handholdings... Does anyone really miss the times when after each battle we had to go into the menu and heal all members? I simply hated that, it didn't add any value to the game. Just a big annoyance. Same for the frequent saves (now autosaves in FF XIII-2). I for sure don't want to go back to when I had waste at least half an hour each it time it was game over. Sometimes replaying over and over the same cutscenes. or to keep playing at 4 am because I couldn't find a save point. They don't make the game easier, justr more user friendly.

----

I personally do miss having to heal your party. I didn't view it as an inconvenience, but rather an additional challenge to the game. I liked having to manage your inventory a little closer, or making sure your HP/MP was up to snuff. Maybe I'm weird, maybe I'm old school, but doing things that way gave me a little more of a sense of accomplishment just because I personally was responsible for making everything unfold.

And quite frankly, I'm not mad about the hand holding. I'm mad that they added all that in and arbitrarily added a huge spike in difficulty seemingly to make up for the amount that they were helping. Regular encounters that last 5+ minutes are just plain ridiculous, especially when they occur on such a frequent basis. And it certainly hasn't gotten any better in the time I've spent on Gran Pulse.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5540 posts

Feb 12, 2012

Weidleface wrote:

I personally do miss having to heal your party. I didn't view it as an inconvenience, but rather an additional challenge to the game. I liked having to manage your inventory a little closer, or making sure your HP/MP was up to snuff. Maybe I'm weird, maybe I'm old school, but doing things that way gave me a little more of a sense of accomplishment just because I personally was responsible for making everything unfold.

And quite frankly, I'm not mad about the hand holding. I'm mad that they added all that in and arbitrarily added a huge spike in difficulty seemingly to make up for the amount that they were helping. Regular encounters that last 5+ minutes are just plain ridiculous, especially when they occur on such a frequent basis. And it certainly hasn't gotten any better in the time I've spent on Gran Pulse.

Photobucket

I admit that having to heal the party made me feel like I needed to plan better my game. But honestly I just replayed FF VI for some time recently and it was just a matter of having stacked enough potions at the beginning. Once the healers were available not even that since we can heal in the menu. Once we learned Osmose (MP sucking from enemies) it was just a waste of time.

About the long time battles with regular encounters many go down to few seconds once you level up. Also it's a two edges sword. I am actually complaining about FF XIII-2 because the battles are way too fast. Often I don't even realize what is going on that the battle is over. Total time 4 sec. FF XIII-2 definetely needed an hard mode since the beginning, Actually the nromal mode had to be the easy one and the normal had to be made harder. Hopefully it will get patched. or more likely there will be a DLC now that even SE learned how to milk money.

----
Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 81 (137 Views)
0 Likes