Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/26/2008
Offline
94 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Jan 25, 2012

I really loved FF X--I got completely hooked into the story and loved the characters. That one is my favorite. After that 6 & 7 are tied as my next favorites for the same reason. I liked FF VIII and XIII about the same (after my top 3 ). The only one I really didn't like or finish was FF XII. I really disliked the majority of the characters and didn't care what happened to them, so I struggled with that game a lot (although I loved the little hunting missions in that game).

Photobucket
Message 20 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 01/06/2011
Offline
4029 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Jan 25, 2012

Weidleface wrote:

Admittedly, I never finished XIII. Of course, that in itself should say something. I'm thinking about giving it another shot soon, just to prep for XIII-2. And since Sushi's playing, we could just make an event out of it!

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl, Final Fantasy VIII

I'd definitely be up for that!  Any ideas?

I made it to chapter 7 last night.  All I'll say (as I don't want to post spoilers), is that the more I learn about Sazh, the more he becomes my favorite character of the game by far.  I've even started to warm up to Lightnight...just a bit.  I keep hoping for what I call the Wakka moment.  Essentially in FF X I couldn't stand Wakka until they developed his character and you learned a key fact about his past relating to LuLu (hopefully that is cryptic enough ), which completely changed my feelings towards him.

-SP


Message 21 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 03/11/2007
Offline
2050 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Jan 25, 2012

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

Weidleface wrote:

Admittedly, I never finished XIII. Of course, that in itself should say something. I'm thinking about giving it another shot soon, just to prep for XIII-2. And since Sushi's playing, we could just make an event out of it!

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl, Final Fantasy VIII

I'd definitely be up for that!  Any ideas?

I made it to chapter 7 last night.  All I'll say (as I don't want to post spoilers), is that the more I learn about Sazh, the more he becomes my favorite character of the game by far.  I've even started to warm up to Lightnight...just a bit.  I keep hoping for what I call the Wakka moment.  Essentially in FF X I couldn't stand Wakka until they developed his character and you learned a key fact about his past relating to LuLu (hopefully that is cryptic enough ), which completely changed my feelings towards him.

-SP

I hope "Lightnight" is your nickname for Lightning and not just a typo. ^_^

Spoony Bard

Message 22 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 04/10/2010
Offline
37 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Jan 28, 2012

I liked XIII a lot, but it's not my favorite of the series.

I agree with most of the criticisms - linearity, lack of exploration ,etc. - I just didn't really care about them by the time I got into the game.  The extraordinary artistry (not just technical graphic brillance, but inspiring designs) along with the music and battle system made it extremely fun for me.  I liked the story a lot too, but do wish it had a more interesting villain.  When the exploration did come in in chapter 11, it just got better.

My favorites, in order are:

VI

IV

IX

XIII

VII

The rest can fall anywhere.  I never liked X, and never understood the attraction to it.  It's the only one I wish I never played.  VI and IV are at the top for me because of simple yet emotional stories.  I can't relate to people being dream clones.  They also win for a large cast of likable characters,  my favorite music tracks, variety in gameplay and memorable story moments.

Message 23 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 03/31/2005
Online
7874 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Feb 4, 2012

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

Weidleface wrote:

Admittedly, I never finished XIII. Of course, that in itself should say something. I'm thinking about giving it another shot soon, just to prep for XIII-2. And since Sushi's playing, we could just make an event out of it!

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl, Final Fantasy VIII

I'd definitely be up for that!  Any ideas?

I made it to chapter 7 last night.  All I'll say (as I don't want to post spoilers), is that the more I learn about Sazh, the more he becomes my favorite character of the game by far. 


{ My Question of the Week: Game Difficulty }
Check out our PS Vita Events!
{ What not to do with your Vita! } { Augment your reality! }
Check out our Uncharted Events!
{ Uncharted 3 Gif'ing }

I don't know where you're standing right now, but I just made it to the beginning of Chapter 4. I liked Sazh in my first attempt at the game, and I'm only liking him more this time through. He's basically the Murtaugh of the cast.

Anyway, I'm just planning on blowing through the story if possible. I don't really care to do any side missions or go for the Plat, mainly because I want to get right into XIII-2. I've heard some great things so far.

This playthrough is going fairly smoothly, but nothing has really happened so far. I just got Snow's Eidolon, which is just the tip of the iceberg. I think I quit the first time because of Vanille's Eidolon battle, so here's hoping things are just a tad easier this time around.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire, Tales From The Borderlands
Message 24 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/09/2007
Offline
5541 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Feb 4, 2012

There will be only one: FF X. Soon to be FF X HD!

I still have to understand why Tidus is supposed to be the leading man, though. To me most of the story is about Yuna. Oh well, I suppose she is the leading Lady, then. But it is HER story. All characters have a great personality (yeah.. even Wakka. He is just... different! ). The combat is great: it is a matter of preparing first and then playing. No X holding, it didn't work. At least not against the Dark Aeons in the EU release. A wrong setup and you're gone as well. The grid to level up IMVHO is fantastic. And the Celestial weapons really are meaningful. Graphically it still kicks the bottoms of some "next-gen" games. Too beautiful to be true.

As you may understand I am really looking forward for the HD remaster. Or is it a remake?!

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 25 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 03/31/2005
Online
7874 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Feb 5, 2012

Weidleface wrote:

I think I quit the first time because of Vanille's Eidolon battle, so here's hoping things are just a tad easier this time around.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl, Final Fantasy VIII

Correction, I don't think I made it past Sazh or Fang's Eidolon. I forgot that Vanille's was the last one you encounter.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire, Tales From The Borderlands
Message 26 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 04/18/2007
Online
11168 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Feb 5, 2012

Michelasso wrote:

There will be only one: FF X. Soon to be FF X HD!

I still have to understand why Tidus is supposed to be the leading man, though. To me most of the story is about Yuna. Oh well, I suppose she is the leading Lady, then. But it is HER story. All characters have a great personality (yeah.. even Wakka. He is just... different! ). The combat is great: it is a matter of preparing first and then playing. No X holding, it didn't work. At least not against the Dark Aeons in the EU release. A wrong setup and you're gone as well. The grid to level up IMVHO is fantastic. And the Celestial weapons really are meaningful. Graphically it still kicks the bottoms of some "next-gen" games. Too beautiful to be true.

As you may understand I am really looking forward for the HD remaster. Or is it a remake?!

Tidus's voice acting and over all character made me cringe. I wanted to slit his throat. Ugh what a brat.

90% of battles (regardless of the RPG) aren't much more than automatic fighting. Attack > Attack > Nuke > Occasional Heal. The boss fights are where the challenge comes. Unless ye accidently wander into an area ye shouldn't be in.

Message 27 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 12/09/2007
Offline
5541 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Feb 5, 2012

PapaWarlock wrote:

Tidus's voice acting and over all character made me cringe. I wanted to slit his throat. Ugh what a brat.

90% of battles (regardless of the RPG) aren't much more than automatic fighting. Attack > Attack > Nuke > Occasional Heal. The boss fights are where the challenge comes. Unless ye accidently wander into an area ye shouldn't be in.

yeah, but still he was a great brat!

Not that I felt much sympathy for Tidus, though. Actually I love Jecht. Too bad SE didn't make a prequel instead of that junky FFX-2.

About the fighting, well yeah, most battles are a matter of X holding as in any other FF game. Still I maximed everything but luck (around 100 I think) and in the Arena, together with the Dark Aeons (as I specified) there is no way to win just smashing X. Not before reaching a certain level. The last Dark Aeon takes 1 1/2 hour. One mistake and one is gone at full stats.  Wrong equipment and one must start all over again. Also Seymour battles have been quite epic. I think I have found FF X the hardest of all of them. I died more than in any other FF game.

----
- I'm not a Playstation fanboy. I'm a Micro$oft hater. It's different.
Message 28 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 07/30/2007
Offline
436 posts
 

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Feb 5, 2012

story, battle system, music, maps, some characters are all good but the only thing holding it back is the linearity even though i didnt mind that but ffx is the best in my opinion

Message 29 of 81 (184 Views)
Reply
0 Likes