This widget could not be displayed.

Re: The Best Final Fantasy Game is XIII?

Jan 17, 2012

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

Hmm, it's interesting to see everyone's feedback.  I decided the other day to give FFXIII a second chance as I'd like to try FFXIII-2 and am pretty much at the beginning.  Two quick questions:

When did the story start to pull you in?

I read a bunch about character development above, when does this kick in as well? 

So far I'm not feeling the characters or story.

Thanks!

-SP

I liked the story from the start, but when I learned about Sazh's son for the first time, that's when it really connected with me.

The character development as in the Crystarium? That's pretty early in I think. Chapter 3 is where you are introduced to the Roles and the Crystarium.

Message 10 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes

Jan 17, 2012

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

Hmm, it's interesting to see everyone's feedback.  I decided the other day to give FFXIII a second chance as I'd like to try FFXIII-2 and am pretty much at the beginning.  Two quick questions:

When did the story start to pull you in?

I read a bunch about character development above, when does this kick in as well? 

So far I'm not feeling the characters or story.

Thanks!

-SP

Personally, I found the story kind of hard to follow and not very interesting. I liked more of the charcter development and the fighting more. Now FFXIII-2 the story already has me interested and I played the demo and I like how they addressed the issues of the first one.

IMO character development starts to kick in when you are able to select who you want in your party and I think that happens once you get to Gran Pulse. I will say the first 15 - 20 hours of the game really dragged on for me. After that, everything seemed to pickup more and the game became much more enjoyable. All in all I liked the game but because of the begining I will not play through it again.

Message 11 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes

Jan 18, 2012

Oops, sorry I meant character development, as in character growth and change as the story progressess.   I guess I'm saying, will I be stuck with Snow throwing his fists in the air and shouting "I'm the Hero!" until the end of the game? 

At this time Sazh is the only character that I can stand tbh.  I find the two kids very annoying, especially the girl as she falls into a ton of stereo types.  The boy reminds me of Shinji from Evangelion, and he was my least favorite character of the show.  Lastly, Lighting is a virtual blank slate, who gets angry every now and then, etc.

I guess I'm just trying to get a feeling that they will flush out and develop their characters more and there will be some growth there, as I'll need that to stick through a 100+ hour game. 

Thanks!

-SP

P.S. My 3000th post, not bad for a year. 

Message 12 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes

Jan 18, 2012

Final Fantasy XIII's story walks along the path of a band of rebellious allies, who stick together for their own reasons. Whether that be a vendetta to settle or a rescue to see through, you'll find out bits and pieces along the way about each of them, as the characters get closer to one another.

Along the way characters are split up into groups. There is development, or dramatized outbursts that will shape them through flashbacks and such. Though the story isn't bad, it's not remarkable. In the same way previous Final Fantasies had an appealing central villain or so, Final Fantasy XIII lacks that much instead feeling like a far cry from the unbreakable structure established by the series' long-celebrated groundwork.

Personally, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, and Final Fantasy IV sit among the top favorites, with Final Fantasy XIII falling somewhere near the bottom.

Message 13 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes

Jan 18, 2012

Sushi_Pirate wrote:

Oops, sorry I meant character development, as in character growth and change as the story progressess.   I guess I'm saying, will I be stuck with Snow throwing his fists in the air and shouting "I'm the Hero!" until the end of the game? 

At this time Sazh is the only character that I can stand tbh.  I find the two kids very annoying, especially the girl as she falls into a ton of stereo types.  The boy reminds me of Shinji from Evangelion, and he was my least favorite character of the show.  Lastly, Lighting is a virtual blank slate, who gets angry every now and then, etc.

I guess I'm just trying to get a feeling that they will flush out and develop their characters more and there will be some growth there, as I'll need that to stick through a 100+ hour game. 

Thanks!

-SP

P.S. My 3000th post, not bad for a year. 

Unfortunately, Snow does not get any better. In the years leading up to Final Fantasy XIII, I loved his character design, and when I got the game, I found he also has an amazing voice actor. Unfortunately, the writing for his character is awful and he's a terrible character. Just removing all of his dialogue that included the word "hero" or "focus" would have done wonders. Sure, he would have been mostly mute, but he would have been an infinitely better character.

Hope is just the worst and don't expect that to change much, even if the character purports to change (at least Shinji had a talent). Lightning stays thoroughly dull throughout, though they try to get you to emphasize with her more.

There's a chance Vanille will grow on your, though. I didn't mind her from the onset, but I know people who did who eventually warmed up to her. You'll see a better defined character arc for her.

Sazh is definitely the best written character of the bunch. One of Square's better written characters in general, really. (Which must be why they're not allowing him in XIII-2!)

Fang is still my favorite in the game, though. <3

EDIT: Also, assuming you're not going for the platinum, it's more like a...60 hours game? Something like that, I think. And the story as a whole isn't too much more engaging than the characters. They just throw a lot of undefined proper nouns at you and other jargon that you'll tend to filter out (especially if you don't read the datalogs)

Spoony Bard

Message 14 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes

Jan 19, 2012

I'm over 5 hours in and on chapter 4.  So far Sazh is fine, he's what I'd expect from a FF game, a reasonably rich, defined character with room for exploration and growth.  I'm strarting to see pieces from their backgrounds, and so far Vanille is absent in these, and I think I just can't stand her.  She has all the worst qualities of Rikku from FFX but none of the good/redeaming ones.

I'm hoping this part will get better though. 

I was briefly introduced to Fang, as she knocked out Snow (hey, at least he stopped talking  ), so not much from that end as of yet.

As to the overall story, I'm feeling it a bit more, and the combat system and crystallis system seem pretty descent and engaging, so that part is good at least.

-SP

Message 15 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes

Jan 20, 2012

I don't know if its THE best, but I've enjoyed it so far and thats what counts in my book

Message 16 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes

Jan 21, 2012

No sorry, thats not a true statement.  FF6, FF7, FF10 are toss up for the best.  13 you have to go where they tell you, try going into the days of actual exploration my friends, u will find it to be more filling and the storys are way better than 13.  All I can remember from 13 is that whinny little baby hope, I still wish he would just shut up.

Message 17 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes

Jan 24, 2012

It can't compete overhall against  FF 6, 7, or 10

it lack gameplay

lack growth development

great graphics

its a pretty 4 function calculator

Message 18 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted

Jan 25, 2012

Admittedly, I never finished XIII. Of course, that in itself should say something. I'm thinking about giving it another shot soon, just to prep for XIII-2. And since Sushi's playing, we could just make an event out of it!

But I thought it was highly lacking overall. The cast was decently likable, but couldn't compare to the cast of VIII, X, or even VII for that matter (I don't care for VII much, but the characters are fantastic). The linear gameplay (keep in mind, didn't make it to Gran Pulse) just felt shackling. Before anyone mentions X in terms of linearity, I will say that while it is linear, it isn't forced on you like in XIII. Everything just felt more engaging in X, not like you were running down an endless hallway. The Chrystarium and the combat system are the only redeeming qualities that come immediately to mind in XIII.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Persona 4 Golden
Message 19 of 81 (372 Views)
0 Likes