Survivor
2924 posts

Re: Quotes from the Masters of Game Development

Feb 19, 2010
^^^^ Chrono Trigger is in my opinion the greatest RPG ever made.
Message Edited by smurfinator on 02-19-2010 09:24 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 26 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
154 posts

Feb 19, 2010
Funny how I couldn't find those quotes anywhere else on the internet than here or in that review.
360 Gamertag: The Gdm Batman

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 26 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
868 posts

Feb 19, 2010

They may be so old but the guy kept articles or whatever for sentimental value. This article backs up what Yuji Horii said, not exactly the quote, but what he believes to be RPG's

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/i_dragonquestviii_ps2

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/617/617479p1.html

Message Edited by coffeerox on 02-19-2010 11:02 AM
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 26 (49 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 20, 2010
Here i thought that this might help your anger Aeternitas <3  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIjba0sR4D0
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 26 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
591 posts

Feb 20, 2010

Aeternitas33 wrote:

I just found his (GZay2Stay) 4.0 review of FF XIII. Several sections are worth quoting:

"FFXIII is an interactive movie with RPG elements. This is not a video game and it doesn't even try to pretend it is one. It is unashamedly a CGI movie with a stylish battle system and pretty character growth system tacked on. Summing up the game is really that simple."

Product Development Division - 1 has even axed the towns, shops, conversable NPCs, side-quests and other JRPG staples. Sorry, but I need to repeat this so really it hits home:

- No towns.
- No shops.
- No conversable NPCs.
- No side-quests.
- No mini-games.
- No airship.
- No world map.

The bottom line is simple: If you're buying looking for the sexiest and most beautiful looking interactive movie ever made then buy this without hesitation. However, If you're looking for a RPG with more than just pretty graphics and instead with good RPG game design and interactive storytelling then you should avoid it.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasy13/player_review.html?id=704901

And I just have to repeat the quote from Yuji Horii as well.

"The most important part of a RPG is the player feeling like they are taking the role of a character in a fully realised fantasy world. They can explore, visit various towns and places, talk to people, customise their character, collect various items, and defeat monsters. The story is not the focus of the experience and is only there to make the atmosphere of the fantasy world more interesting and engaging during the course of the game." ~ Yuji Horii (Creator of the JRPG genre. Supervisor: Chrono Trigger)

And if anyone here hasn't played Chrono Trigger yet, it was released as part of the FF Anthonlogy with FF IV. Go play it, now, and then if you play FF XIII afterwards you'll understand what a pathetic joke it is to call FF XIII an RPG. 

Message Edited by Aeternitas33 on 02-19-2010 04:27 AM

hmm yeah, theres one problem you making your judgement based off of someone's review wow just wow.

At least Coffee played the game and enjoyed it somewhat and you have one not played the game two making your judgement based off of someone's review.  oh by the way i have played chrono trigger and still think FF XIII looks enjoyable 

Message Edited by Zengaku92 on 02-19-2010 06:08 PM
Message Edited by Cobra1 on 02-19-2010 09:47 PM
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!" Kurt Vonnegut

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 26 (49 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5088 posts

Feb 20, 2010

Zengaku92 wrote:

Aeternitas33 wrote:

I just found his (GZay2Stay) 4.0 review of FF XIII. Several sections are worth quoting:

"FFXIII is an interactive movie with RPG elements. This is not a video game and it doesn't even try to pretend it is one. It is unashamedly a CGI movie with a stylish battle system and pretty character growth system tacked on. Summing up the game is really that simple."

Product Development Division - 1 has even axed the towns, shops, conversable NPCs, side-quests and other JRPG staples. Sorry, but I need to repeat this so really it hits home:

- No towns.
- No shops.
- No conversable NPCs.
- No side-quests.
- No mini-games.
- No airship.
- No world map.

The bottom line is simple: If you're buying looking for the sexiest and most beautiful looking interactive movie ever made then buy this without hesitation. However, If you're looking for a RPG with more than just pretty graphics and instead with good RPG game design and interactive storytelling then you should avoid it.

"The most important part of a RPG is the player feeling like they are taking the role of a character in a fully realised fantasy world. They can explore, visit various towns and places, talk to people, customise their character, collect various items, and defeat monsters. The story is not the focus of the experience and is only there to make the atmosphere of the fantasy world more interesting and engaging during the course of the game." ~ Yuji Horii (Creator of the JRPG genre. Supervisor: Chrono Trigger)

And if anyone here hasn't played Chrono Trigger yet, it was released as part of the FF Anthonlogy with FF IV. Go play it, now, and then if you play FF XIII afterwards you'll understand what a pathetic joke it is to call FF XIII an RPG. 

hmm yeah, theres one problem you making your judgement based off of someone's review wow just wow. i have tried reasoning with you but at this point i am just arguing with a child

its all wah wah wah, why didn't FF XIII have this or this or this, wah wah wah, i cant even respect your opinons anymore. At least Coffee played the game and enjoyed it somewhat and you have one not played the game two making your judgement based off of someone's review

Will my playing the game change the fact - not opinion - that there are no towns? 

Will my playing the game change the fact - not opinion - that there are no shops?

Will my playing the game change the fact - not opinion - that there are no conversable NPCs?

Will my playing the game change the fact - not opinion - that there are no side-quests?

Will my playing the game change the fact - not opinion - that there are no mini-games?

Will my playing the game change the fact - not opinion - that there are no airships?

Will my playing the game change the fact - not opinion - that there is no traversable world map?

And oh yeah, one more question, since you haven't played the game either, what are you basing your judgement on?
Pot, kettle, black. 
Message Edited by Aeternitas33 on 02-19-2010 09:59 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 26 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5088 posts

Feb 20, 2010

dkbatman06 wrote:
Funny how I couldn't find those quotes anywhere else on the internet than here or in that review.

Guess you've never heard of books, or magazines, or newspapers...

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 26 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5088 posts

Feb 20, 2010

- No towns.
- No shops.
- No conversable NPCs.
- No side-quests.
- No mini-games.
- No airship.
- No world map.

And if anyone here hasn't played Chrono Trigger yet, it was released as part of the FF Anthology with FF IV. Go play it, now, and then if you play FF XIII afterwards you'll understand what a pathetic joke it is to call FF XIII an RPG. 

Message Edited by Aeternitas33 on 02-19-2010 10:46 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 26 (49 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Feb 20, 2010
You know you will have the game on day one :smileywink: 
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 26 (49 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 27, 2012

FF13 has the hardest battles in the whole series and is probably the only FF where I'd say game play is actually a highlight. I have the Platinum trophy for the JP version btw

They removed side stuff to have an elevated focus on a more finely crafted story. There are tons of NPCs through the game, so that part is just a lie. No Airship is true, but why does that matter? Is he saying that controlling a flying ship makes a game an RPG? I personally don't understand the fuss over minigames either. Look at their name... they're MINI GAMES. I'd bust out Mario Party on my n64 if i wanted stupid mini games. I'd much rather take the 64 side missions (many of which are uniquely fought) over mini games or getting that sweet old lady a damned flower for 100 gil.

The only legitimate complaint that can be derived from that load of mindless ranting is that due to the streamlined experienced, one now can't experience the ups and downs in adrenaline associated with regular JRPGs that have dull segments. Why would you want to be bored on purpose? Because it lets you take in everything exciting that's happened thus far in the journey and gets you slowly built up for the next events. FFXIII still has the ups and downs in the narrative, but the downs aren't completely in the form of chilling in town, doing misc quests, managing inventory, and grinding, which is what we're all very used to. FFXIII would have been amazingly more accepted if it were a sort of Action Adventure RPG.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 26 (49 Views)