Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 29 2003
By: Naijaman Fender Bender 3353 posts

Not a diss but...........

9 replies 1 views Edited Oct 29, 2003
what is so apealing about turn based combat games? it reminds me of the old way of warfare. whe you took turns at shooting at each other.
Message 1 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1984 posts

Re: Not a diss but...........

Oct 29, 2003

,Agros wrote:
what is so apealing about turn based combat games? it reminds me of the old way of warfare. whe you took turns at shooting at each other.

wow, never thought of it like that, i dunno really.it's probably trying to find the weakness and exploiting it, i guess
Message 2 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
848 posts

Oct 29, 2003
Actually it's not that appealing, just seems most rpgs are made that way, we don't really have a choice.  Make the best of the combat system.  Although games like the Secret of Mana series allowed real time combat and FFX-2 does a pretty good job of realistic fighting and so does KH.
did you see that....................ho over there that that THAT.......nevermind ;op
Message 3 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3353 posts

Oct 29, 2003
Played FF-X last week and i wasn't feeling it, i wonder if Onimusha is considered a RPG?
Message 4 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7838 posts

Oct 29, 2003

,Agros wrote:
Played FF-X last week and i wasn't feeling it,i wonder if Onimusha is considered a RPG?

Nah, Onimusha is in the Action/Adventure genre.

-Griever_08

http://goo.gl/SjUkM
Message 5 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
859 posts

Oct 29, 2003
It's not the battles that appeal to me, I like the freedom to roam around and what-not.  Vice City did a good job of that.
Message 6 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12360 posts

Oct 30, 2003

It's just planning, and when it's down you set off a cinematic sequence which is fun to watch.

I also dig the part of being able to attack with swords and use magical spells, very role playing-ish...

hence the name, RPG

Message 7 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
288 posts

Oct 30, 2003

Turned based strategy is as fun in many contexts as real-time simulation. Inherently players have a disadvantage when fighting a computer in real time. The options in real time are also extremely limited and in many cases do not always properly represent realistic combat. While it would be hard to understand how igo-ugo systems might be more realistic, that is only because it is a form of abstraction.

Also turn-based strategy can be more involved and complicated than real-time. Ask anyone who hated, and was ultimately horible at, Final Fantasy Tactics and compare that to say the ease with which just about anyone can defeat ___craft #. Yes, some people prefer not to turn their minds off when entertaining themselves.

Message 8 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Oct 30, 2003

I'm a fan of the strategy involved in turn based combat, and I think it is almost necessary for most RPGs that have wide ranges of spells and options during combat.  FFX-2's weirdo real-time/turn-based hypertense combat system is thus far pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to getting a feel for it when the full game actually comes out.

However, TacticAngel's assertion of an inherent disadvantage in real time play vs. a computer is a rather blanket-heavy assumption and frankly, juvenile and pessimistic.  He also misspelled horrible.

thank god for john carpenter

Message 9 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1336 posts

Oct 31, 2003

,Agros wrote:

It is not only the turn base combat, but also the story in each Final Fantasy game that matters the most.

In every Final Fantasy game I've played (7, 8, 9) I have enjoyed and understand the story of each one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Everyone has a purpose, but few know what it is; do you know your purpose in life?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 10 of 10 (1 View)
0 Likes