Splicer
77 posts

Re: New Final Fantasy VII player here...

Sep 2, 2009

WhiteMorpheus wrote:

I'm 36 and just finished FF7 for the 2nd time. I originally played it when it first came out but, I just plowed through the game. With the 2nd go-through I took the time to get all of the secrets and cool stuff. It was totally worth it. I had a much better experience the 2nd time through. I really had no idea that there was so much to do, from breeding Chocobos, to racing them, messing around in the Gold Saucer in general is a lot of fun.

You're never too old to play an FF game, because you get to play it the way you want... fast or slow, serious about collecting everything or not, it's your choice

I think you made a good buy. For 10 bucks, it really a great value. My final save was at 83 hours.... where else can you get that kind of entertainment vaue for 10 dollars....

Wow! I'm getting a lot of support in this thread. Believe it or not, my #1 reason for buying this game for $10 is because it's a huge download; and it took 8 hours to download it!

83 Hours on a final save? Ok, I'm jealous... I can play Cube for up to 4 hours at one time, and I've seen Josh, my wife's nephew play Surf, and have a savedata file of 55 hours. I got stuck in Tokobot... What happens if I get stuck in FF7?

Thanks for the tips.

Happy PSP-3001 Owner with System Software 6.31
Heavy User of Skype on PSP (Kuya.Marc) and Internet Radio
Favorite Games: Namco Museum Battle Collection, Sudoku, Work Time Fun
Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Message 11 of 32 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5149 posts

Sep 2, 2009

PasigMarcos wrote:

Wow! I'm getting a lot of support in this thread. Believe it or not, my #1 reason for buying this game for $10 is because it's a huge download; and it took 8 hours to download it!

83 Hours on a final save? Ok, I'm jealous... I can play Cube for up to 4 hours at one time, and I've seen Josh, my wife's nephew play Surf, and have a savedata file of 55 hours. I got stuck in Tokobot... What happens if I get stuck in FF7?

Thanks for the tips.

That's the beauty of playing a game that's a decade old, there are a million guides if you get stuck. For instance, there are a couple of UBER bosses in the game that are a real challenge. I needed help so, I asked on these very forums (Ruby and Emerald Weapon thread) and got some termendous help. If you really are worried about getting stuck, you should also be able to find the full walkthrough guide by brady games as a PDF on the internet.

I say jump into FF7... its a very engaging game that once you're into, can be played in 10 minute spurts or, for hours on end, depending on your mood.

I know 83 hours is qute a bit of time to sink into a game but, I think I got that high because with the PSP's sleep mode, it was so easy to just pick up during a commercial or whatever and have a few battles. I must have advanced at least 10 levels over the month and a half I played... just when I was on the john...  lol. I know "gross" but, I think a lot of pople play PSP while on the pot! Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by WhiteMorpheus on 09-02-2009 12:30 AM
Message Edited by WhiteMorpheus on 09-02-2009 12:35 AM
Message 12 of 32 (5 Views)
Sackboy
460 posts

Sep 2, 2009

Don't worry too much about getting stuck in FF7 we can help out no problem.

Once you get the hang of it with the materia slots on weapons and armor it'll be a cake walk. only a few places are truly difficult, but they are optional.

Message Edited by Ashenshugura on 09-02-2009 12:56 AM
Message 13 of 32 (5 Views)
Splicer
77 posts

Sep 2, 2009

WhiteMorpheus wrote:

PasigMarcos wrote:

Thanks for the tips.

That's the beauty of playing a game that's a decade old, there are a million guides if you get stuck. For instance, there are a couple of UBER bosses in the game that are a real challenge. I needed help so, I asked on these very forums (Ruby and Emerald Weapon thread) and got some termendous help. If you really are worried about getting stuck, you should also be able to find the full walkthrough guide by brady games as a PDF on the internet.

I say jump into FF7... its a very engaging game that once you're into, can be played in 10 minute spurts or, for hours on end, depending on your mood.

I know 83 hours is qute a bit of time to sink into a game but, I think I got that high because with the PSP's sleep mode, it was so easy to just pick up during a commercial or whatever and have a few battles. I must have advanced at least 10 levels over the month and a half I played... just when I was on the john...  lol. I know "gross" but, I think a lot of pople play PSP while on the pot! Smiley Tongue

Message Edited by WhiteMorpheus on 09-02-2009 12:30 AM
Message Edited by WhiteMorpheus on 09-02-2009 12:35 AM

Thanks for the advice. As for the saving, it's manual, right? I say the saving options when I press the Home key.

Between writing in my two blogs, and now PlayStation.com Forums, I guess playing FF7 would be beneficial when I'm clueless about to write about. Usually, my primary blog is the first to be updated on my PSP activities, but, during the past couple of days, my PSP activites are posted on PlayStation.com Forums. I guess I'll be the "Blog Writer that plays Final Fantasy VII on the side..."

I haven't played much with PSP's sleep feature, though I have Josh use it when he has to take a break from his games. (He's 9 years ago, and he has to stop playing, very frequently...)

Again, thanks for the advice.

Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Message 14 of 32 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Sep 2, 2009

Ashenshugura wrote:

Don't worry too much about getting stuck in FF7 we can help out no problem.

Once you get the hang of it with the materia slots on weapons and armor it'll be a cake walk. only a few places are truly difficult, but they are optional.

Message Edited by Ashenshugura on 09-02-2009 12:56 AM

That's exactly what I told my wife prior to going to sleep this afternoon. She played FarmTown and FarmVille in Facebook, for at least five hours today, and she plays more during her nightshift in her office. I'm just hoping I can really get into FF7... (Mostly because I'm discovering that playing games on my PSP is beneficial on diabetes...)

Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Message 15 of 32 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 2, 2009

I think you'll like the game.  It takes a couple of hours to get into the game though, in my opinion.  My very first opinion of it was disappointment:

I remember coming home from school that day.  My brother had stayed home that day, to pick up the game for me.  He was a senior in HS at that time, so it was a right of passage I suppose, to skip a day of school here or there.   At any rate, he picked up the game for me and played his own story before I got home.  When I got home he was an hour or so into it, and after awhile let me start a game.  I remember being disappointed, to tell the truth.  I was playing the game, and I had been so excited for it, it just didn't seem like a game I would really get into.  Of course I was wrong.  For me, the turning point is leaving the starting city Midgar.  Once I'm past that point I'm really into the game.  

Message 16 of 32 (5 Views)
Wastelander
929 posts

Sep 2, 2009
Your never too old to play a Final Fantasy game, and many many people started with FF7 for their first RPG. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much fun and how immersed you get in this genre of games. Good luck! =)
Ches-ka on http://thetester.com/

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/theCheska
Message 17 of 32 (5 Views)
Splicer
77 posts

Sep 2, 2009

highrightnow wrote:

I think you'll like the game.  It takes a couple of hours to get into the game though, in my opinion.  My very first opinion of it was disappointment:

I remember coming home from school that day.  My brother had stayed home that day, to pick up the game for me.  He was a senior in HS at that time, so it was a right of passage I suppose, to skip a day of school here or there.   At any rate, he picked up the game for me and played his own story before I got home.  When I got home he was an hour or so into it, and after awhile let me start a game.  I remember being disappointed, to tell the truth.  I was playing the game, and I had been so excited for it, it just didn't seem like a game I would really get into.  Of course I was wrong.  For me, the turning point is leaving the starting city Midgar.  Once I'm past that point I'm really into the game.  

Thanks for the tips. I just played it, earlier, for the first tiime, and then, I downloaded another game...

Here's my first saved data: Level 8, Time 00:27, Gil 478, No. 1 Reactor

Am I loosing or winning? I can't tell.

Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Message 18 of 32 (5 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 2, 2009

PasigMarcos wrote:

highrightnow wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I just played it, earlier, for the first tiime, and then, I downloaded another game...

You're doing just fine so far.  There is a lot of background story that the first couple of hours starts to delve into, and fortunately there are not many enemies that are too challenging.  That said, the boss battles can be challenging the first go-round or so, but other than that you should be fine.  If you ever have trouble with a particular boss or enemy, simple "level-up" your characters by fighting the local enemies and resting at an inn/saving periodically.  Eventually you'll be at a level high enough to get the job done.  If that fails you can find great strategies on forums or youtube.   

Message 19 of 32 (5 Views)
Splicer
77 posts

Sep 3, 2009

highrightnow wrote:

PasigMarcos wrote:

You're doing just fine so far.  There is a lot of background story that the first couple of hours starts to delve into, and fortunately there are not many enemies that are too challenging.  That said, the boss battles can be challenging the first go-round or so, but other than that you should be fine.  If you ever have trouble with a particular boss or enemy, simple "level-up" your characters by fighting the local enemies and resting at an inn/saving periodically.  Eventually you'll be at a level high enough to get the job done.  If that fails you can find great strategies on forums or youtube.   

When I got that "Level 8", I really don't know what I'm doing. I guess I'm fighting the "local enemies" when I select "Attack" and point the finger of who to attack. That part is elementary, and it looks like a turn-by-turn type of game, unlike Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. I've been looking for a map; I've pressed all the buttons and I can't see a map. I'm used to seeing an arrow of where to go next; but I'm just used to walking or running behind objects.

The "Level Up" and "Limits" parts are confusing. What are those?

It seems the X is the backwards button and O is the action button, while the triangle is like a menu button. I was surprised that the "Save" option isn't always available. 

During my initial gameplay, I kept asking myself, "What am I doing?" Then when I seen Gil and Level go up, I figured I must be doing something right. I guess I'm thinking like a programmer, "if I make this move, what's the CPU's next move?" There's always a move that the CPU expects, but I often ask, "What happens if I don't make that move?" I guess that's the choice between "Attack" and "Defend." After the first five battles with local enemies, I've noticed some type of "flowchart" programming, which is the type of programming I was doing back in the 1990's, when this game was first developed. That's similar to the old Star Trek games (text based).

Wikipedia has a informative web page on the characters used in FF7. I have to keep referring to it, while playing, to see who are friends and who are enemies. I already defeated my partner, already, in the 2nd round, and that was before killing the last enemy, which disappears. Before playing, I spent over an hour, reading the Instruction Manual provided in the PSN download. -- I'm not a teenager, anymore... I just can't have that PnP (Plug-n-Play) performance anymore. (I've already had 9 year old Josh beat me in many PSP games, already, and that's pathetic!)

Regarding ATB... If I turn that feature off, will the game just wait for my next move? In other words, will the game not make a move until I make my move?

Pasig Pac-Man's Blog
Message 20 of 32 (5 Views)
0 Likes