Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
15 posts

Re: If SE wants FF to sell big in the west...

Apr 4, 2010

smurfinator wrote:

dCow90 wrote:

Smurfinator:  You wonder what the story would be like if Snow saw a bloody broken Nora.  I've got to disagree with you on this one..  You're missing the pivotal point in Snow's character development!  The point is that he doesn't get it.  He doesn't see a bloody broken Nora.  He doesn't understand how his actions affect others.. not until Hope tries to kill him.  It is that fact that fuels  Hopes rage.  Hope, a kid, sees more than the guy parading around as the 'hero'.  

Don't judge a book by it's cover..

well yeah i got that part  since i did mention that since they already had his character in mind that its written the way it is. however he should've already had an idea of how his actions affect people since he was holding on to a dying women that fought with him. but he really is that clueless.  also i figured Hope would've understood that even if Snow wasnt there to reqruit her that they would've been killed anyway. She saw a chance to save her son and she took it. but Hope is a very angry, scared,  confused,  lost kid. he doesn't understand what happened. just that Snow showed up and his mother was gone.

It seems like you would've just written the story differently had you been in charge (with a more mature Snow and Hope).  I'm sure it would've turned out fine either way.  They just choose they way the did.  Take that for what it is.  I don't think I've ever read a book where I've, 100% of the way, always agreed with the authors choice of plot points.  (And I agree I thought the Snow/Hope thing was a little shoddy, I didn't understand why Hope should be so angry either.. well not until I read through all the datalog entries).  But that what makes each story unique.  There is no perfect formula for a story and every story is open to criticism.  I think it's interesting to hear yours.  Eventually, you learn to appreciate a work for what it is (unless there's some major flaw with it) and you'll spend less time complaining or disappointed and more time enjoying what is really good about a story.  

Please use plain text.
Message 31 of 32 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2924 posts

Re: If SE wants FF to sell big in the west...

Apr 4, 2010

dCow90 wrote:

It seems like you would've just written the story differently had you been in charge (with a more mature Snow and Hope).  I'm sure it would've turned out fine either way.  They just choose they way the did.  Take that for what it is.  I don't think I've ever read a book where I've, 100% of the way, always agreed with the authors choice of plot points.  (And I agree I thought the Snow/Hope thing was a little shoddy, I didn't understand why Hope should be so angry either.. well not until I read through all the datalog entries).  But that what makes each story unique.  There is no perfect formula for a story and every story is open to criticism.  I think it's interesting to hear yours.  Eventually, you learn to appreciate a work for what it is (unless there's some major flaw with it) and you'll spend less time complaining or disappointed and more time enjoying what is really good about a story.  

nah i'm not much of a writer. though i would've kept Hope with the same personality. just would've changed the scene a bit to where it looked like Snow really is to blame from Hopes point of view and not make it seem like he's just using Snow as a scapegoat for Nora. would've also made Snow a little less of a meat head. just a little since Lightning needs a reason to knock him on his ass.

Please use plain text.
Message 32 of 32 (28 Views)
0 Likes