Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 21 2010
By: RedPyramidThing Hekseville Citizen 382 posts

I can't play any FF before 13 now...

11 replies 48 views Edited Feb 21, 2010

After 100%ing the game I took a week off from gaming, then got the urge to fire up some of the older FF games for nostalgia's sake. My favorite as a kid was FF8. I replayed it along with a few others some years ago and they held up really well, but after 13 it's a whole different story. Here are my findings!

FF8

This is by far the slowest of all 4 games I started replaying. It takes like 2 seconds for a new background to load, which happens every few steps. During battles there can only be one attack animation going on at a time, and all ATB gauges are paused during it. THIS. WAS. TORTURE. I'll also never have the time to draw 100 of any magic like I did as a kid, and there's no real motivation to level up. At least the characters are still lovable. That said, I don't see myself finishing this game again unless it's in Japanese (which I can't read too well just yet). Oh, and I spent like 30 minutes messing around with Triple Triad, which these days I found more fun than the main game.

FF9

There were some definite improvements here. Backgrounds loaded much faster than FF8, and they were bigger, with treasures to find... It's funny when it comes to battles because the ATB gauge doesn't pause like FF8 but it takes much longer to fill up, so there's almost nothing gained there. Let's see, presentation has held up really well, still don't care for the characters, and as usual I didn't find myself talking to any NPCs since they're hippos and crap! So it's slightly more fun, but the lame characters will probably keep me from finishing it again, ever.

FF6

I was kinda surprised to see this little gem holding up better than all the others. Battles flowed faster since they didn't have to load and there weren't any long animations. Of course there's no loading when exploring - that's the beauty of flash media! Still loved Terra, still loved the music... FF6 was not the first FF game I played, and not my childhood favorite, but I think that these days it's the only one I have a shot at fully replaying. The great thing about SNES games is that every moment is as perfect as you can make it. Like the opera scene here, it's so beautiful in my mind I can still cry :smileytongue:

Anyway that's what I think. After you finish FF13, I urge you to replay some of the older games and see what you think about them. You might be surprised. Me, I don't think I could ever finish a traditional RPG again, not unless it's something I played as kid on SNES. Good luck to the devs trying to top FF13, though. For me to care about a future RPG it must have no loading times, fast and exciting (non-random) battles, and basically no chaff. It needs to be lean and mean!

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2984 posts

Re: I can't play any FF before 13 now...

Feb 21, 2010
good thing i have replaying in anticapation of XIII. i am sure i will return to them after as well
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Feb 21, 2010

Sadly, I can't play 13 either, but that's because my PS3 decided to die on me:smileysad:

I just found out the drives motor is broken, hopefully it's just temporary.

"Can you see your end? Then death be yours!" ~ Brahms
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1323 posts

Feb 22, 2010

I recently bought my copies of FF VIII and FF IX since I have never played those games, the only FF games I have played are FF VII, FF X, FF X-2, FF XII, and FF VII for the PSP.

But I will not try to play them until I am all done with FF XIII and any other JRPGs coming out this year, since JRPGs are my favorite video game genre.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Feb 22, 2010

Yeah, were kind of forced to since we cant demand SE to give us a game. I think ill play 7 or Tactics again.

Message Edited by IxxBalmungxxI on 02-21-2010 08:34 PM
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2714 posts

Feb 23, 2010

RedPyramidThing-

I know exactly what you mean by this! I feel the same way about this even though I haven't played Final Fantasy XIII yet, although I have played Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XII and found myself trying to replay Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII and for the love of my life I couldn't play them for more than ten minutes, it was if I needed more speed, I was used to the action and speed that PS2 Final Fantasy games delivered and with that said I will probably feel the same way about Final Fantasy XII (cant say Final Fantasy X because I love this game so much, it is just untouchable to me) when I play Final Fantasy XIII.

Future Final Fantasy tittles would have to be just as fast as final Fantasy XIII or faster. Perhaps this is a psychological thing going on in our brains haha! 

PSN: Cpt-GargameL
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2022 posts

Feb 23, 2010

RedPyramidThing wrote:

After 100%ing the game I took a week off from gaming, then got the urge to fire up some of the older FF games for nostalgia's sake. My favorite as a kid was FF8. I replayed it along with a few others some years ago and they held up really well, but after 13 it's a whole different story. Here are my findings!

FF8

This is by far the slowest of all 4 games I started replaying. It takes like 2 seconds for a new background to load, which happens every few steps. During battles there can only be one attack animation going on at a time, and all ATB gauges are paused during it. THIS. WAS. TORTURE. I'll also never have the time to draw 100 of any magic like I did as a kid, and there's no real motivation to level up. At least the characters are still lovable. That said, I don't see myself finishing this game again unless it's in Japanese (which I can't read too well just yet). Oh, and I spent like 30 minutes messing around with Triple Triad, which these days I found more fun than the main game.

FF9

There were some definite improvements here. Backgrounds loaded much faster than FF8, and they were bigger, with treasures to find... It's funny when it comes to battles because the ATB gauge doesn't pause like FF8 but it takes much longer to fill up, so there's almost nothing gained there. Let's see, presentation has held up really well, still don't care for the characters, and as usual I didn't find myself talking to any NPCs since they're hippos and crap! So it's slightly more fun, but the lame characters will probably keep me from finishing it again, ever.

FF6

I was kinda surprised to see this little gem holding up better than all the others. Battles flowed faster since they didn't have to load and there weren't any long animations. Of course there's no loading when exploring - that's the beauty of flash media! Still loved Terra, still loved the music... FF6 was not the first FF game I played, and not my childhood favorite, but I think that these days it's the only one I have a shot at fully replaying. The great thing about SNES games is that every moment is as perfect as you can make it. Like the opera scene here, it's so beautiful in my mind I can still cry :smileytongue:

Anyway that's what I think. After you finish FF13, I urge you to replay some of the older games and see what you think about them. You might be surprised. Me, I don't think I could ever finish a traditional RPG again, not unless it's something I played as kid on SNES. Good luck to the devs trying to top FF13, though. For me to care about a future RPG it must have no loading times, fast and exciting (non-random) battles, and basically no chaff. It needs to be lean and mean!

You have fallen into their trap and you will never get out. You will miss out on good games because they do not meet a certain standard or quality. IMHO, A good game is a good game no matter the maker or the speed or anything else.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8519 posts

Feb 23, 2010

s2kneSs wrote:

RedPyramidThing-

I know exactly what you mean by this! I feel the same way about this even though I haven't played Final Fantasy XIII yet, although I have played Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy XII and found myself trying to replay Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII and for the love of my life I couldn't play them for more than ten minutes, it was if I needed more speed, I was used to the action and speed that PS2 Final Fantasy games delivered and with that said I will probably feel the same way about Final Fantasy XII (cant say Final Fantasy X because I love this game so much, it is just untouchable to me) when I play Final Fantasy XIII.

Future Final Fantasy tittles would have to be just as fast as final Fantasy XIII or faster. Perhaps this is a psychological thing going on in our brains haha! 

That's the thing, you need patience in early FFs, especially IX. Even X in my opinion doesn't get interesting (replaying it, anyway) until Lake Macalania.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
591 posts

Feb 24, 2010

RedPyramidThing wrote:

FF8

FF9

FF6

well i have been playing FF VIII and it's just like VII as far as gameplay goes, but it is still good none the less. Yes FF XIII is taking a step in another direction and trying to open their fanbase to other people other than the hardcore fanbase. that's why FF XIII has FPS elements but it's still an RPG somewhat.

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!" Kurt Vonnegut

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3552 posts

Feb 24, 2010
Meh, I already replayed FF7 and am now on disc 2 of FF8. The game is a little bit slower than some of the newer games but it's still fun to play. Gotta get my $10 worth anyway. I would love to replay FFX though...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (48 Views)
0 Likes