Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Mar 05 2010
By: t3hlazy1 Treasure Hunter 9075 posts
Offline

Getting game before Strat Guide.

8 replies 13 views Edited Mar 5, 2010

Okay, I preordered the Strategy guide from Amazon and am getting it the 12th at earliest.

I was just wondering if I should wait to use the guide, or not.

Basically, I'm asking if there is anything that sets your path at the beginning of the game...

Like in Kingdom Hearts, I believe.

 

And I don't plan on following the book completely, but I do plan on using it some.

 

Thanks.

-t3hlazy1 

Message 1 of 9 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 10/16/2009
Offline
349 posts
 

Re: Getting game before Strat Guide.

Mar 5, 2010

i normaly never buy the guide until i beat the game first. then i buy the guide to 100 percent the game in my second or current playthrough.

but for this instance i pre ordered the limited edition guide so i could have one. but will not use it i might buy an original guide later but will not use limited 

Message 2 of 9 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/15/2008
Offline
2065 posts
 

Re: Getting game before Strat Guide.

Mar 5, 2010

t3hlazy1 wrote:

Okay, I preordered the Strategy guide from Amazon and am getting it the 12th at earliest.

I was just wondering if I should wait to use the guide, or not.

Basically, I'm asking if there is anything that sets your path at the beginning of the game...

Like in Kingdom Hearts, I believe.

 

And I don't plan on following the book completely, but I do plan on using it some.

 

Thanks.

-t3hlazy1 


 

No, you do not get any choices at the start of the game that 'set your path'. So feel free to play before you get the guide.

Message 3 of 9 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 03/31/2004
Offline
408 posts
 

Re: Getting game before Strat Guide.

Mar 5, 2010

colstripcapn wrote:

t3hlazy1 wrote:

Okay, I preordered the Strategy guide from Amazon and am getting it the 12th at earliest.

I was just wondering if I should wait to use the guide, or not.

Basically, I'm asking if there is anything that sets your path at the beginning of the game...

Like in Kingdom Hearts, I believe.

 

And I don't plan on following the book completely, but I do plan on using it some.

 

Thanks.

-t3hlazy1 


 

No, you do not get any choices at the start of the game that 'set your path'. So feel free to play before you get the guide.


 

I may be in the same situation, I just remeber that terrible way to get the best weapon in FFXII having to deal with which chests you open, if theres somthing like that in this game I will be rather disappointed.

Message 4 of 9 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 03/05/2010
Offline
2 posts
 

Re: Getting game before Strat Guide.

Mar 5, 2010

I am picking up the guide at the same time from GameStop so i get the member discount of around 20% off the guide. I figured if i cant get the collectors edition game i might as well by the collector guide and get it for cheaper

Message 5 of 9 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 11/13/2008
Offline
967 posts
 

Re: Getting game before Strat Guide.

Mar 5, 2010

You won't need a guide at all because the game is that linear.

 

Basically your path is set from the very beginning. Pretty much nothing is missable. And even if you do miss a weapon, it won't really matter too much since the weapon is available at the shop later. Plus you could stick with your starting weapon and get through the story regardless.Theres no superpowerful weapon like the Zodiac Spear or w/e since all your weapons can be upgraded to ultimate.

 

Only thing I see that the guide can offer is tips. How to beat those missions, how to level up a certain way (it really doesn't matter), and pictures of maps (even though you literally don't need one since most of them are straight paths from beginning to end).

 

Only thing I see the guide as is a collector's item.

Message 6 of 9 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/19/2008
Offline
1816 posts
 

Re: Getting game before Strat Guide.

Mar 5, 2010

 


Ltcellis wrote:

You won't need a guide at all because the game is that linear.

 

Basically your path is set from the very beginning. Pretty much nothing is missable. And even if you do miss a weapon, it won't really matter too much since the weapon is available at the shop later. Plus you could stick with your starting weapon and get through the story regardless.Theres no superpowerful weapon like the Zodiac Spear or w/e since all your weapons can be upgraded to ultimate.

 

Only thing I see that the guide can offer is tips. How to beat those missions, how to level up a certain way (it really doesn't matter), and pictures of maps (even though you literally don't need one since most of them are straight paths from beginning to end).

 

Only thing I see the guide as is a collector's item.


 

The devopler of the game said only the begining is liner, and once you get about half way threw the game it becomes way more open, the point of the liner in the begining is to get the players emotionly atached to the story.

 

Photobucket
Message 7 of 9 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 04/15/2008
Offline
2065 posts
 

Re: Getting game before Strat Guide.

Mar 5, 2010

Brensen wrote:

I am picking up the guide at the same time from GameStop so i get the member discount of around 20% off the guide. I figured if i cant get the collectors edition game i might as well by the collector guide and get it for cheaper


 

You can get the limited edition guide online for 45% (or more) off...

 

Gamestop is a total ripoff for the guide unless you absolutly must have it day one.

 

Everyone is free to do what they want with their own money though.

Message 8 of 9 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/19/2008
Offline
1816 posts
 

Re: Getting game before Strat Guide.

Mar 5, 2010

 


colstripcapn wrote:

Brensen wrote:

I am picking up the guide at the same time from GameStop so i get the member discount of around 20% off the guide. I figured if i cant get the collectors edition game i might as well by the collector guide and get it for cheaper


 

You can get the limited edition guide online for 45% (or more) off...

 

Gamestop is a total ripoff for the guide unless you absolutly must have it day one.

 

Everyone is free to do what they want with their own money though.


 

i want it day one >.>

 

Photobucket
Message 9 of 9 (13 Views)
Reply
0 Likes