Wastelander
629 posts

Re: Final Fantasy XIV Online vs Playstation Home

Jul 1, 2013

I had forgotten this was a home thread...*cough* my 3 favorite areas on home are Limsa Lominsa, Gridania and Ul'dah. I also like the battle system that home has no one ever approaches me with frivolous questions like "Where are youf from?" on home, they just ask me if I want to party and raid dungeons. /endsarcasm

To me home is crap but that's just to me. Once FFXIV is out I will drop home without a second thought.

rwby photo: ~ 0ZRug_zps3527be48.gif
Please use plain text.
Message 611 of 995 (327 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3603 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote

What does it matter?

Because it can't hurt to discuss?

Pretty sure the original topic of this thread was just to gather opinions. No one's saying what someone else can and can't use.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 612 of 995 (316 Views)
VP of Gaming
25398 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Bravo.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 613 of 995 (306 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1282 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Conrad_Max wrote:

It's one of the silliest questions asked. And it's been asked before (regarding other games) and will be asked again.

What does it matter?

There are some people who may decide to leave Home for Final Fantasy XIV. And there may be those who would never step outside of Home. But there're also those of us who can use/play both (as well as a few other games).

Putting aside certain circumstances, I do play videogames, and i also log into Home every day/night to play, explore and socialize.

Why do we have to choose? Can't we not to both (all)?

I tend to think that some people might not want to leave PS Home because they may just have trouble letting go of their egos, delusional sense of popularity and also their unwarranted self-importance , in general. If People give FF14 a fair chance, they will find that its capable of doing everything that Home can do ..except with an actual purpose. For many people, the thought of using FF14 and PS Home together might seem redundant in that regard; hence why its understandable when someone announces they will choose FF14 over PS Home which is mostly likely dying anyway .

Understand now , Conrad?

"Do you remember what today is , Jack?"
Please use plain text.
Message 614 of 995 (280 Views)
Survivor
1979 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

"Capable of doing everything that Home can do" (Quoted from Lightning Emotion)

Except voice chat and all text chat is confined to the chat log. No pop up bubbles over anyones heads. Cant send invites to people off of FFXIV to join you, like you can on Home. Theres no casual shopping, like within Home. When you buy stuff at the merchants on FFXIV, you have to deal with class restrictions, level restrictions, job restrictions, etc... It's not like Home where you can go, "Oh, that shirt looks cool. I think I'll buy it." It dont work that way.

Text chatting is a little more complex on the PS3. For example, to enter the chat log, you gotta press select to navigate over to it, press X, then press triangle to bring up the OSK (on screen keyboard) type out your message, then press start, then hit X to send the message. On Home...you can just bust out the keyboard and type away, then hit enter. Boom. Quick and easy. 

Home is a little heavier on social aspects than FFXIV, although FFXIV supports it. With Home...you can just walk up to anyone and strike up a convo in a matter of seconds. On FFXIV...everyone is more focused on playing the game. When social interaction does ocour, it's usually to solicit for a party, raid or for help in general with the game. It's not really a place for social hangouts...at least not yet. 

There are no personal spaces or homes for you to chill at, like on Home. At least Home gave you a free, Harbour studio as a default. Now, I have heard talk of building or buying your own house in FFXIV...but that has yet to be introduced and Im sure you wont be getting any freebies. Gonna have to grind for GIL and save up for that dream house. Even then, once you get the house...will you be able to place furniture in it, hang photos on the walls, customise it to your liking and preference? Im sure there will be some limitations to that as well. 

Home has holiday and seasonal events. Canada day and 4th of July says hi. These events are good for festivities, partys, and social gatherings. It creates a change of scenery and everyone loves to see fireworks on the 4th of July, snow and snowmen on Christmas, pumpkins and creepy ghouls on Halloween, etc.. I dont know if FF11 ever decorated for these festivities or if FF14 intends to partake at some time...but somethin tells me, I doubt it. Im sure the game will have it's own unique festive moments...but will they be in relation to real world, national holidays? Hmm...

There will be differences...

However, FFXIV offers something that Home simply just does not. A game, set in an open world...ever changing, ever evolving. Plenty of quests to keep you busy to the point that your eyes bleed, LOL. You can fight and battle hordes of creatures and enemies, earn in game money to buy stuff with, in game loot such as weapons, accessories, and clothing. Spells, special abilities, jobs. You can hunt, fish, be a carpenter, a sorceror, you can heal the wounded and raise the dead, join several guilds. It gives you an objective, goals and a storyline. It gives you and your avatar a sense of purpose, other than existing just to chat in a social environment, like Home does.

You will never get bored on FFXIV. Theres ALWAYS something you can be doing, with an objective behind every task. In Home...sometimes you have to literally FIND something to do or boredom will set in, quick. Noone wants to be confined to the same mundane mini games in Home. Playing poker every day, racing in Sodium2, playing countless rounds of FUBAR, etc... In Home, once you've had your experience with the mini games, youre done with it and you move on. In FF14...the experience never ends. Even when you reach level cap, theres still loads of crap for you to do, untill the next expansion hits.

In my opinion, Home shouldve been more like an MMO with MMO qualities, rather its just a platform for advertisement, marketing and social aspects, with a few mini games on the side. Youre flooded with an over abundance of new content every week, but rarely new things for you to do. Even with Acorn park, once you've done all the challenges and tasks and got all the rewards...then what? Stand around and chat? Home needs something to keep the user busy CONSTANTLY with a plethora of activities that keep you coming back, every day. If all youre doing is coming back, JUST to hang out and chat with friends...thats not much of an experience.

And it's simply NOT ENOUGH to maintain that popularity, that X factor that makes people want to abandon their COD or Netflix or web browsing...to stay on Home. Home captivates. But it doesnt KEEP you there. It's launched itself into a slow but determined downward spiral. It needs a redesign, an uplift. They redesigned Home to add the HUB and redefined what Home is, a while back. But they thought they just had to do this ONCE. NOPE! This needs to be done at least once a year. Or it's gonna get old and stale. Noone wants to keep coming back on Home, only to keep staring at the same old crap over and over again. year after year. And they wonder why people are losing interest?! it's not hard to do the math on that one. 

I could rant all day. But Im sure by now, you can see where Im going with this, and see my point. It's perfectly understandable why some people would want to jump ship to an MMO universe like Final Fantasy. Home is gonna have to reinvent itself once more, if it intends to compete with the typical MMO. It's lacking. In MANY ways. 

Here's a little food for thought: FFXIV AAR has been in beta since Feburary, 2013. Thats just less than 5 months, give or take...and has already started diverting people AWAY from Home. PlayStation Home has been in beta for 4-5 years now, ongoing...and is STILL diverting people away. Think about that for a sec...

I'm A Shadow. One That No Light Will Shine On. As Long As You Follow Me....You Will Never See The Day.
Please use plain text.
Message 615 of 995 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Jul 1, 2013
O_O Shadow you took the words outta my brain.

I used to hang on Home for HOURS. Then I got in the XIV Beta. I tried doing the usual stuff on Home yesterday after playing Beta all weekend, and it just wasn't cutting it. I only did a third of what I normally do before hopping on Defiance and even that wasn't the same anymore.

Also on XIV you can run anywhere on the map and still manage to run into friends without even planning to. I was just running around doing quests and pretty much made a friend jump when I almost bowled them over getting to the final location where we then just sat and chatted for a few minutes before going our own ways again.

Also don't know if anyone has noticed, but Pottermore on Home is as good as dead really and I hate saying that. Last four times I've gone there to get the daily card, first time was one person in the Alley, none on train. Second time same deal. Third time both places were totally empty and I took pics to prove it. Fourth time, being yesterday I got curious and went to train, alley, great hall, and the three common rooms I have access to. Total people consensus was TWO people sitting idle, one in hall, one in train. Everywhere else is like a wasteland. Thinking Home might be getting the axe after all the way it's going on there.

Oh Shadow! There issss a roundabout way to use chat faster. Honestly I say PS3 chat pad is necessary period. For some reason the controller is limited on accessing things the chat pad isn't. With chat pad I can access XMB with press of one lil button. To chat all I have to do is press the enter/return button once then just start typing. Usually all I have to do is just start typing really and it will take it. So with chat pad you still have the Select then type, the enter/return then type, AND the just typing the message already option.

I want the Beta back up already!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 616 of 995 (243 Views)
Wastelander
629 posts

Jul 1, 2013

There is a major difference in shopping in FFXIV than Home firstly, it doesn't cost you actual money to buy gear in FFXIV while on Home you must pay for a virtual item. The voice chat thing in an MMO in this generation is important but there are other ways to chat, like Ventrillo and Mumble, hell there is xbox live if your friends own an xbox.

And in this day and age everyone has a laptop and most likely a headset for chatting on it. And even though you want voice chat in FFXIV you have to understand that there are some perverted individuals out there. Home is the perfect example of it, yes Home had a cool purpose but it has been twisted and many have turned it into a ratchet e-harmony knock off.

And here is what Yoshi said about voice chat:

Hi all, it’s ‘coming down with the flu’ Yoshida here,

Thanks for the discussion regarding voice chat. I wanted to present my thoughts on the subject, too.

Conclusion
We currently have no plans to implement voice chat into FFXIV, even for Version 2.0.

Level of Communication
I’m also an online gamer when I have spare time, so I use voice chat when playing MMOs, online games, FPSs, and fighting games. However, voice chat is mostly used by the “hardcore players”. In MMORPGs, “chat” is the main form of communication and because it is text based it is fairly simple to use. However, hearing everyone’s voices when you’re communicating amongst a huge group of players can be highly irritating. Risks put aside, I think that the communication level in comparison to chat is a few steps higher.

Pros and Cons
Everyone pretty much said everything already.

The main cons:

• There will be times when voice chat will be mandatory for things like instanced raids.
  • In particular, there is a fear that female gamers will get harassed when the say something and will then want to stay away.
  • A gap will appear between those that have/don’t have a mic.
  • As this will eat up more bandwidth, there will be more bandwidth costs.
  • We will need to create some kind of sound management, like creating an effect so that it's not your “real voice” that is being heard.

The main pros:

• It is much faster than chat for direct communication so when playing as a party it is much easier.
  • If you can get along well with the other person, it is convenient, just like being on the phone.

Alternatives to Voice Chat
There are loads of great alternatives to voice chat such as Skype and Ventrillo. If we don’t officially support it, I think that there will be fewer cases where people will be forced to use it and told things like "come on, just use voice chat for crying out loud!" So for linkshells and what will become the Free Companies, if you can come to an agreement, I think that it would be good to consider using external software for voice chat purposes.

Summary
We will continue to make it so that our FFXIV players can play safely across all regions. Even if we can technically support it, for things that involve communication, we would have to make it official, but I think we would really need to think about this carefully so it won't be a stressful experience. So with that in mind, we will not be having official support for voice chat.

Please use plain text.
Message 617 of 995 (196 Views)
Wastelander
629 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 1, 2013

FFXIV will have seasonal events. No 4th of july but thats mainly because SE is a japanese company. You will have Halloween/Christmas/New Years/Summer festivals etc. And you will get free stuff by completing the quests for these seasonal events.

On the whole social aspect, I personally prefer keeping things goal oriented than wasting my time talking about myself to a person over the internet. Housing i'm not 100% certain but It might not have limits mainly due to the fact that it doesn't share your storage, and you can open up your house to the public and turn it into a little shop.

All in all if you need to get on the interwebs to socialize then that's all on you, I personally will keep that social aspect to real life only. And stay a robotic automaton while gaming since I don't enjoy socializing on Home with randoms and on FFXIV no one will care for my personal business and I'd prefer it that way. Well the people I'll talk to through Vent and Live won't care XD.

If some of that silly Home garbage leaks over to FFXIV like "Where are you from?" {Run away!}.

Please use plain text.
Message 618 of 995 (185 Views)
PlayStation MVP
31543 posts

Jul 1, 2013

Haku_Legacy wrote:

This final week is going to be depressing til they release Phase 4.....I'm feeling the withdrawal now :smileysad:.

i think im probably going to hold off on doing quests till phase 4. no point in starting to do things this late into phase 3 only for it to get reset in a few weeks. :smileytongue:

ill probably just play around and get a feel for things. havent actually got into a battle yet, so that will be #1 on my list to do this weekend.

Please use plain text.
Message 619 of 995 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
34 posts

Jul 1, 2013

I'm in the beta. They are two different things. FF14 is a full fledged game focused on gameplay and story, while having social attributes since you can chat, party up, and are surrounded by other online players. Home, to me, is primaraly focused on social interactions, with minigames and events as added activities. I go on Home to hangout and maybe check out whatever new mini game or event is out. I go on FF14 to play, level up my character, beat some quests, if my friends are on great, maybe i'll say hi, chat or party up here and there.

Please use plain text.
Message 620 of 995 (149 Views)
0 Likes