Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Wastelander
664 posts

Re: Final Fantasy XIV Online vs Playstation Home

Jun 23, 2013

LunarEmerald wrote:

Played the beta a lot the past two days and reached level 21.

My issues with it.

- PS3 desperately needs a button to target closest enemy. To my knowledge it doesn't, I have to push F11 on my keyboard to do it. The targetting system is wonky. An enemy can be right in your face, hitting you and it won't target it.

- Sometimes checking the duty journal crashes the game and kicks you to the XMB. Had this happen about 6 times in the 30 hours I played.

- Some of the later story line bosses need to have their special attack damage reduced. Gladiators don't have time to get away and their higher defense doesn't help when an attack is doing 200+ damage. I think it's unfair to them and heavily favors ranged classes. You can't be a tank against those type of attacks and you don't always have time to get away since you need to be right in their face to fight.

- What I hate most about this game is travelling around, especially cities. It can be a headache trying to find where to go for a mission. Unless you're in the same area as it, you can't see it on your map. There should always be an icon showing which way you need to go regardless what area you're at.

- A silly nitpick but none of the emotes are continuous. If you want to dance and continue dancing, you have to keep activating it.

Overall, it's  fun, but once it's released, I won't be playing because $13 a month is too much. $5 would be a lot better.

I actually have no trouble locking on to any enemy at all, and I'm using controller for that. I'm guessing you are talking about higher level party based instances where enemies hit for 200+ points of damage, that is perfectly acceptable if you see an AoE coming run out of range because a GLD will not lose hate too fast just for evading the attack. Infact if you flash, savage blade etc. your enmity will be constantly high.

If you are getting merc'd by big damaging attacks avoid them or have a talk with your CNJ for not healing you correctly. This map issue I don't have it either. I memorized the zones real easy all I need is to see the zone where my mission is located in and I find it easy everytime.

Emotes are annoying as hell is cool if you want to wave or whatever but they serve no purpose, only to be cute or funny. If you get onn an MMO just to emote then an MMO isn't for you and you might want to re-evaluate your life (not an attack to anyone here. I seen 2 people kiss spamming in the adveturer guild in Ul'Dah that filled my log with nonsense).

I was randomly ejected from the game to the XMB like 3x only. But the first time it happened I laughed hysterically since I chose to teleport and I was teleported to the XMB. :smileylol:

MMO's take a while to get used to especially when you get used to solo play and then it shifts to party play. I myself have no serious issues that need to seriously be addressed after playing part 2 of phase 3. Maybe it's cause i'm not a stranger to console MMO's or MMO's in general but I get the hang of everything I've done in the game so far instantly and to make my experience even better I hang with my friends that are veterans at MMO's also.

And about the pricing for the monthly fees, I will not get into that anymore they have many option plan choices for paying. All of you that are in the beta go to your SE account and search for the way to pay for the game and choose from the one you like.

A big hint: They have a PSN like card thing that adds 2000 crysta to your account. So if you are on the $15 a month plan it will take 1500 crysta from you leaving 500 crysta left over. Meaning that after the third month the next month auto pays for itself. I digress, just really annoyed by the complaints about pricing for no reason.

rwby photo: ~ 0ZRug_zps3527be48.gif
Please use plain text.
Message 441 of 995 (3,090 Views)
Lombax Warrior
224 posts

Jun 23, 2013
Haku you're a bajillion times better at explaining that stuff than I am.

Haven't had any issues with targeting with the controller either. Honestly it's easier doing this target system and macro system than it was on XI and I thought XI was the best before. Yeah it's not freeeee shot target shooting like it is on Defiance, but well I prefer lock on target like XIV when I'm using a bow compared to guns and rocket launchers on Defiance. Plus it's funny when the arrow shoots in a circle to hit the target behind you when you're running. That saved my butt yesterday twice.

So far I've only had one server glitch where it totally froze the system yesterday. The plus side is this game just gained my massive respect when I got back on and it spawned me EXACTLY where I had frozen and I hadn't lost any quest progress at all. Whereas on Defiance... If you're in something like a bunker scene and you have a server disconnect..... You have to start over on the whole thing. I was at Boss fight on Defiance the other day and was on the very last end of it when the server crapped out. The fact that they have that level of game safety already implemented on XIV ARR in Beta mode makes me bonkers excited for the game release.

After seeing how well they've done on reconstructing the game for PS3 and how WELL they've got everything loading out, I am more than fine with the monthly fee. Saying holds true, you get what you pay for.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 442 of 995 (3,071 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
229 posts

Jun 23, 2013
I wont lie, on PS3 I was getting super mad at the targeting. For some reason it would either take it off the monster i was battling and focus on myself, or it just would still be stuck on an NPC from a million miles ago. I'd press X and it would say "you are too far away".

So I can understand, maybe we're hitting a weird button or something I dunno.

Compared to the old game, this one is already 10 times better then that of original game. 1.0 had so many bugs, and was released without them being fixed. SE was rushed cause Blizzard was releasing a new patch and they wanted to beat them to the punch with a new game.

I love this one, the maps and everything are SO much different, I have before and after shots I took lol, specifically went to certain parts just to see the difference. But I can tell you the PS3 does need a tiny bit more work. if you use a keyboard it's a heck of a lot easier (still not screen shot though even with KB)

Let me explain though what I have an issue with.
Chat. I don't know if it's just me, but to access an easier way for chat I hit select, and it lets me scroll and flip through what i wanna do. When i hit O to exit, sometimes it remains active until i talk to an NPC then it turns it off, other times it shuts off as soon as I hit O. So just in case, i reported it.

Typing. I noticed when I sit still for a while, and talk to much my PS3 ends up freezing. it happened a total of 6 times all weekend (i reported 4, but it happened more) I don't know the main cause, but it sure was getting annoying.

Now the things I loved about it, looking at the camp names and remembering how bland they used to be, makes me SUPER nerdy. i have so many levequests I did at camp drybone, and all it was, was a tiny circle with a tiny atheryte inside it, and a few camp fires and maybe 4 NPCs. Now it's AMAZING and huge, and looks WAY better!

I also remember in the old version, people would lure monsters into the camps and have them kill people because the monsters would just roam through. Now it's programmed better to not let that happen, true it was a glitch people abused to kill people but i'm glad that glitch is gone. (yes I'm the jerk that tested it out)

I honestly can't wait for launch. I can't wait to have all my smexy characters, and I think we should all designate a PS3 forum user server choice so we all can hang out!
Please use plain text.
Message 443 of 995 (3,059 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
664 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

The targeting is not a problem in anyway or form for me. The game is very lenient at first to teach you the ropes, but once it's kicking up you had best bring your A game since the game will crush you if you want to play blindly. Last night me and a friend ended up doin Tam Tara Deepcroft and swore we had a CNJ that was trolling us. We had never seen someone be so bad at playing their class that we figured he must be trying to suck on purpose.

My friend was a Gladiator and I was an Archer. He never once lost hate in Sastasha where the DPS was me and and a THM both going all in to destroy all the things. And in TTD I was Archer again and we had a LNC he never lost hate at all. He played it smartly he evaded nasty AoE's threw his sheild to keep hate, he would flash and WS etc.

This game is built to play casually in the beginning but once you are in a party you need to play it right or just don't bother playing it at all. And as such the difficulty should ramp up accordingly. I'm so tired of all these god damned whiners crying it's too hard, that the difficulty should be toned down....Use your brain and play with people that can grasp the concept of the game and their classes/jobs role and this game is amazing.

Also the whole the game is too expensive BS has me irate. PSH is by far way more expensive than FFXIV every wednesday they release new crap that you really can't do anything with, but dress up nicely and dance with or whatever. Everyday/week you are spending money on Home and you literally only use the thing to talk to randoms or friends...or in a rare instance play some mini games. But to say an MMO is too expensive reality checks are needed.

And it's not mainly the PS group they raise their voices here and there but a good portion of PSN members don't mind paying. I was shocked at all the filth that washed up into the FF online series forums. Saying that Tera/GW2/Rift etc. are all free to play...If you had any brains at all you would know that a F2P is pure garbage. You get no real content with updates that you DO GET with P2P types. You have to buy things in F2P type MMO's just to look cool or even enjoy end game content that should be free.

If you don't like FF online that's cool but to say it's expensive or that it's too hard...Do us all a favor and play something else as this is not for you. 

Please use plain text.
Message 444 of 995 (3,058 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
229 posts

Jun 23, 2013
Maybe I haven't been looking, but i didn't see anyone really complaining too much about the monthly fee, I've just seen the hate against legacy members fly high lately.
Please use plain text.
Message 445 of 995 (3,053 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
664 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

Should read those on the beta forums. If I had a stick I'd beat all of those people. Also what is with the Legacy player hate? Imo they deserve every perk possible since they stuck with that catastrophe that 1.0 was. So hating on them seems pointless to me.

Now there is no denying the PS3 version has it's issues but it's mainly that it's a 7yr old console going up against PCs..yeah not going to cut it. PS3 version was only to fulfill the promise made back in 2010. Also to let PS players play till they release the PS4 version that will be as smooth as the PC version once it's out and DX11 is running on both.

I'm guessing it depends on how comfortable you are with controllers on MMO's. I personally don't have any issues with the maps or targeting, also I use the controller to type lol I can't stand KBs on things that aren't my PC...I might have an OCD about that I guess. But I don't like hooking up a usb KB to my consoles.

Let me make the best suggestions for gaming on FFXIV. First of all play with your PSN or XBL friends that are playing or plan to get FFXIV. Secondly use Skype, Ventrillo, Mumble, Team speak, or Xbox live parties if your friends have access to these and a headset to Xbox or PC. Thirdly play your class correctly and use skills from other classes just to make yourself better.

Please use plain text.
Message 446 of 995 (3,050 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
229 posts

Jun 23, 2013
Personally I have no issues, I can get used to the controls very easily, I don't see how it's that much of an issue for anyone, I mean focusing on the ideas of the game is a better way to get through it, and then it makes it easier for people to learn to game better.

yes i saw all the hate posts on the beta forums, but also on other forums as well, and I don't see the problems, if there's someone there who was in the original game, then maybe they can help the newbies with any of their questions or ways to figure out how to play.

I hooked up the keyboard 'cause my small controller keyboard was dying, but i think it did more harm then good, but I think it's a good idea for some people who're used to PC gaming more then console gaming.

I guess it's all on preference, I dunno. I play in a way that mixes each class into one main class, using the skills of others to help aid my attacks, i find it way easier, but that's just me, I know my room mate hates the PS3 system of using R2 and L2 to actually make your attacks happen. he wants simple buttons.
Please use plain text.
Message 447 of 995 (3,042 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1157 posts

Jun 23, 2013

To anyone having issues with targeting, keep in mind that you have to press X to confirm your target switch, you can't just press the d-pad to switch enemies whilst attacking another, you'll go right back to attacking the monster you initially had targeted. Also, upon defeating a monster, you can generally insta-target the next closest enemy just by tapping X. Every so often you'll target a party member instead, but it served me pretty well.

Please use plain text.
Message 448 of 995 (3,033 Views)
Wastelander
664 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

TrickedOutHoro wrote:

To anyone having issues with targeting, keep in mind that you have to press X to confirm your target switch, you can't just press the d-pad to switch enemies whilst attacking another, you'll go right back to attacking the monster you initially had targeted. Also, upon defeating a monster, you can generally insta-target the next closest enemy just by tapping X. Every so often you'll target a party member instead, but it served me pretty well.

^ so much this! also use L3 to fully lock on to the enemy so you aren't running around like a headless chicken. And hit it again if things are getting bad and you need to sprint away XD.

Also if you are on Leviathan server and want to do party oriented things hit me up. I promise i'm not as mean as I may have sounded in my recent posts :smileytongue: , Ok maybe a little lol XD. But I wouldn't mind helping/teaming up with anyone on these forums if you'd really like to try out dungeons/guildhests.

Please use plain text.
Message 449 of 995 (3,027 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1649 posts

Jun 23, 2013

Haku_Legacy wrote:

The targeting is not a problem in anyway or form for me. The game is very lenient at first to teach you the ropes, but once it's kicking up you had best bring your A game since the game will crush you if you want to play blindly. Last night me and a friend ended up doin Tam Tara Deepcroft and swore we had a CNJ that was trolling us. We had never seen someone be so bad at playing their class that we figured he must be trying to suck on purpose.

My friend was a Gladiator and I was an Archer. He never once lost hate in Sastasha where the DPS was me and and a THM both going all in to destroy all the things. And in TTD I was Archer again and we had a LNC he never lost hate at all. He played it smartly he evaded nasty AoE's threw his sheild to keep hate, he would flash and WS etc.

This game is built to play casually in the beginning but once you are in a party you need to play it right or just don't bother playing it at all. And as such the difficulty should ramp up accordingly. I'm so tired of all these god damned whiners crying it's too hard, that the difficulty should be toned down....Use your brain and play with people that can grasp the concept of the game and their classes/jobs role and this game is amazing.

Also the whole the game is too expensive BS has me irate. PSH is by far way more expensive than FFXIV every wednesday they release new crap that you really can't do anything with, but dress up nicely and dance with or whatever. Everyday/week you are spending money on Home and you literally only use the thing to talk to randoms or friends...or in a rare instance play some mini games. But to say an MMO is too expensive reality checks are needed.

And it's not mainly the PS group they raise their voices here and there but a good portion of PSN members don't mind paying. I was shocked at all the filth that washed up into the FF online series forums. Saying that Tera/GW2/Rift etc. are all free to play...If you had any brains at all you would know that a F2P is pure garbage. You get no real content with updates that you DO GET with P2P types. You have to buy things in F2P type MMO's just to look cool or even enjoy end game content that should be free.

If you don't like FF online that's cool but to say it's expensive or that it's too hard...Do us all a favor and play something else as this is not for you. 

Not everybody buys a bunch of home items every week. I only buy if something really catches my interest. I'm thinking I'll buy the game and play it for the 30 day free trial and only renew the subscripion whenever there's major content patches. I should be able to exhaust the game of all the content I care about in a month.

Please use plain text.
Message 450 of 995 (2,998 Views)
0 Likes