Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Re: Final Fantasy XIII "NON" Hyped Reviews

Jan 6, 2010

You really should have warned people that the second article there has a crap ton of spoilers in it. I don't recommend reading it if you don't want to learn anything about the story before you play the game.

Why do people complain about linearity? Would it have made everyone feel better if the path was 'S' shaped instead of a straight line? Almost every FF is linear until you are several hours in. Sure, you can go backwards and re-visit old places if you spend the time doing all that walking, but generally there is absolutly no reason what-so-ever to do that.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 92 (17 Views)
Splicer
79 posts

Jan 6, 2010

awesome idea to make this thread.  but im sure people will take it as you flaming the game...even though you technically never said a word.

And the the guy who posted above me...the thing with the game being linear is that it is....well....REALLY linear.  The map is literally just a straight line.  There are a couple of map shots in one of the reviews that exemplify this.  It seems like it will be an ok game and i may pick it up later used or when its cheaper...but im not gonna be a fanboy and run to pick it up and play it as soon as it comes out and say its the best game ever. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 92 (17 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Jan 6, 2010

eyesooxdeex wrote:

awesome idea to make this thread.  but im sure people will take it as you flaming the game...even though you technically never said a word.

And the the guy who posted above me...the thing with the game being linear is that it is....well....REALLY linear.  The map is literally just a straight line.  There are a couple of map shots in one of the reviews that exemplify this.  It seems like it will be an ok game and i may pick it up later used or when its cheaper...but im not gonna be a fanboy and run to pick it up and play it as soon as it comes out and say its the best game ever. 

See, that's kind of my point when I asked if an 'S' shape would make people feel better. Take FFX for example, no free roam at all, you get a little when the airship arrives but that's at the very end of the main story.

FFXIII has a huge open area, eventually, but it's several hours into the game (a third or half way in). Those 'straight line' maps are just the first couple chapters.

Regardless, FFX was nothing but straight line maps. Sure, they might make an 'S' or an 'L' shape but they still had no real side paths. You never came across a "do I go left or right" decision because if you made the wrong decision the path was blocked until you went the right way. There were a few exceptions, but the majority was dead linear. Even with the set in stone path, it was a pretty good game.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 92 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Jan 6, 2010
Meh I don't really read reviews a whole lot, all I know that I am going to have fun with it like I did with the previous ones. See I'm just a simple person who wants a game to entertain me one way or the other, but I guess for the real diehard "fans" the only way to satisfy you is to revert to the old ATB system, add a psychopathic clown or a guy with a long katana as the antagonist and have Nobuo compose the music for it.

"Can you see your end? Then death be yours!" ~ Brahms
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 92 (17 Views)
Splicer
79 posts

Jan 6, 2010

colstripcapn wrote:

eyesooxdeex wrote:

See, that's kind of my point when I asked if an 'S' shape would make people feel better. Take FFX for example, no free roam at all, you get a little when the airship arrives but that's at the very end of the main story.

FFXIII has a huge open area, eventually, but it's several hours into the game (a third or half way in). Those 'straight line' maps are just the first couple chapters.

Regardless, FFX was nothing but straight line maps. Sure, they might make an 'S' or an 'L' shape but they still had no real side paths. You never came across a "do I go left or right" decision because if you made the wrong decision the path was blocked until you went the right way. There were a few exceptions, but the majority was dead linear. Even with the set in stone path, it was a pretty good game.

I played FFX, never finished it, and you are right it is straight line maps.  But thats also probably why i didn't finish it, there wasn't anything that made me wanna keep going instead of playing another game.

Another thing that i enjoy in FF games and isn't going to be in FFXIII is towns.  No towns in XIII.  Im sure others might not mind this at all, but i like towns in my RPGs.  It adds another dimension to the game.  
Now not once am i saying that FFXIII will be awful or not enjoyable, i just wont be getting it as soon as it comes out cause its not as revolutionary as some may wish it to be.  I will be pre-ordering WKC instead. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 92 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
445 posts

Jan 7, 2010

eyesooxdeex wrote:

Always do

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 92 (17 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11160 posts

Jan 7, 2010

Myth384 wrote:
Meh I don't really read reviews a whole lot, all I know that I am going to have fun with it like I did with the previous ones. See I'm just a simple person who wants a game to entertain me one way or the other,

I don't read reviews often and when I do it's usually in a game magazine. The only reason is just simple curiousity. What score was given and were there any major flaws? But the bulk of any review is simple opinion. Something that is practically impossible for most people to comprehend, since if a 'professional reviewer' wrote it, it must be a fact.

Honestly, until I came here, I thought that was the only reason to play a game. To have fun. Now I find I'm wrong. The only reasons to play games today apparently are: Trophies/Achievements, bragging rights, to kill each other over & over online in the same 4 multiplayer concepts, or to be graphically impressed. It's nice to know there are those who prefer to be entertained in a similar fashion to my own preference.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 92 (17 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5151 posts

Jan 7, 2010

"you can have up to three characters in your party, but only when the game says so. And here’s the real kicker: You only control one of them during battle, and you don’t even get to pick who that is".

Wow none of those reviews/previews even pass the chapter 11 where you can choose your party and assign party leaders as you wish  lol. Those are websites who are looking only for hits don't mind them , geeze some people haha

First 10 chapters are like a long tutorial , i know maybe a mistake but is not like those websites are saying lol , after chapter 11the world opens and everything plays as it should 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 92 (17 Views)
Splicer
79 posts

Jan 7, 2010

Beren- wrote:

"you can have up to three characters in your party, but only when the game says so. And here’s the real kicker: You only control one of them during battle, and you don’t even get to pick who that is".

Wow none of those reviews/previews even pass the chapter 11 where you can choose your party and assign party leaders as you wish  lol. Those are websites who are looking only for hits don't mind them , geeze some people haha

First 10 chapters are like a long tutorial , i know maybe a mistake but is not like those websites are saying lol , after chapter 11the world opens and everything plays as it should 

Aren't there 13 chapters? If this is true, that would mean around 3/4 of the game is a tutorial and doesn't play like it should in an enclosed world?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 92 (17 Views)
0 Likes