Jul 30 2012
By: RobertGrimm First Son 4 posts

Final Fantasy Tactics Fans Unite!!!

8 replies 605 views Edited Jul 30, 2012

Ok. Here's the thing. I love the original "Final Fantasy Tactics" that was out for the PS1. I want to get the upgraded version of the game. However it is only for the PSP. Its called "Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions". I called up the PS Company to see if I could get it for the PS3 or at least get it as a DLC for the PSN version of the game. Well that didn't go anywhere. The company would be willing to do something like this if we can get enough fans to get behind the idea. After all, if they're not going to get the fan base behind it, they're not going to put the time or money into doing it. So in a nutshell who's up for the idea? 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (605 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10781 posts

Re: Final Fantasy Tactics Fans Unite!!!

Jul 30, 2012

Attaching DLC to PSOne Classics on the PlayStation Store is an impossible dream. For one, PlayStation games are not like modern games in that they're less customizable. PlayStation 3 or PlayStation Network games you can manage to add an expansion pack to, and with that more trophies. PlayStation games of old don't have this function.

However, there are bundles on the store that include primary games and their attached content. It's a question of whether or not Square Enix would ever want to boost the sales of a fourteen-year-old PlayStation best-seller and a five-year-old PlayStation Portable game, which is currently on a device fading into the background of gamer history. With the Vita out now, it's doubtful Square is still extremely interested in profiting off the PlayStation Portable.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (604 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 31, 2012

Honestly, I like the PS1 version the way it is. I have the PSP version, and it's just not the same. I think it's mostly due to the extream lag the game suffers from that the PS1 version does not have.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (600 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Jul 31, 2012

Good points. Disappointing. But good points all the same. Ok. So maybe it is a pipe dream get that to happen. However I still think there needs to a new FFT game. Come on FFT number 3!!! Come out, come out where ever you are!

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (597 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jul 31, 2012

I just want to get a fresh take on an old game without having to buy something(PSP) that I'm only going to use once. And now that the Vita is out(also not going to buy) the PSP is going to be phased out just like the PS2 games on the PS3. FYI I'm a hardcore console gamer. I don't do the whole hand held game systems. When I'm not at home getting my game on it means I'm busy doing life. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (596 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 31, 2012

There are actually four games in the series.

The original PS1 FFT

The PSP remake (War of the Lions) which is mostly the same but does have a different translation and some added content, game difficulty is also tweaked [harder].

FFT:Advanced which came out on the GBA and is an entirely new game.

FFT:A2 which follows the same line as the GBA game, but came out on the NDS.

Sadly, turn-based games are about 98% dead on consoles. The only SRPGs to appear on the consoles this generation have by and large been PSN releases (Vandel Hearts, Record of Agarest War, Rainbow Moon). Then there is Valkyria Chronicles which is more of a blend with an Action game. Square-Enix in particular is not willing to do turn-based anymore, they feel since the hardware is more powerful they should take advantage of that for more 'exciting' action gameplay.

The PSP has quite an impressive list of these games if that's what you really enjoy, with three being exceptionaly good if you include the FFT release. The other two are Jean d'Arc and Tactics Ogre [This one in particularly is similar to FFT as FFT was based off of this game and done by the same developers]. However, if you are totally against playing on a PSP these are not options. For reference, a PSP-3000 used at Gamestop is ~$80.

FFT is my favorite game in the entire Final Fantasy franchise. I too deeply wish we would see more on the consoles, but I know with SE the way it is we'll never see another turn-based game out of them on the PS3/4 or 360/NextBox. I'm not opposed to handheld games though, so I feel there is at least a chance they'll continue the "Advanced" line of the game (even though ironically the games are far easier than the original and thus not really "Advanced"). The sequal only sold 680k units though so the fate of the series looks grim.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (593 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Aug 2, 2012

Well looks like I'm going to have to do it myself if I want to get a SRPG on a console. I feel like the games that I have come across theses days have more flash than substance. The games look nice but as far as game play and depth of story, they all kind of fizzle out. I'm looking for the epic games that keep you up all night (and some of the morning) totally pulled into the world, a game that makes you sit there and debate "Should I eat something?", "Should I go to the bathroom?", "Should I even bathe?". I want a game to be an event in its self. My problem is replay value. I tend to get done with a game too quickly. Especially if I'm into the story. However once I beat the game then what? I'm out $60.00 for a three day fix.(if I'm lucky) I want a game that takes months not days. Don't get me wrong, there are exceptions to the rule. Example the Assasin's Creed series(except for the first one-it blows). I believe the last game that made me feel like that was FF7. Now THAT was a game! They need to hurry up and remake that game with newer graphics and for God's sake!....throw in some DLCs! It just seems like all the gaming companies care about is one-upping their rival companies(Microsoft, Nintendo) and try to make as much money as they can on the bare minimum. You got to put your very soul into a game if it is going to last the test of time with the fans. I could be wrong but its how I feel.....Phew! I'm spent.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (585 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Aug 3, 2012

I say aye. and  please include the mistranslations of weapons and summons. if only sony based what games they developed based on pure nostalgia

Video Games are Art. Period.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (580 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jan 16, 2014

I am hoping many of you check this board.  There is a spiritual succesor to FFT and Tactics OGRE on kickstarter named Unsung heroe that is trying to get funding (and is doing well).  The game is being made by the original creator of the the two games!  Get your butts up and go fund ths project and spread the word.  Also music will be done by the original composer of FFT if some of the stretch goals are funded.  Go Go Go!!

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (99 Views)
0 Likes