Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 28 2011
By: Hurakan2008 Sackboy 484 posts
Accepted Solution

Final Fantasy 14*

19 replies 55 views Edited Dec 28, 2010

I've been looking on youtube at FF14 gameplay. I do plan on getting this game. But it looks really hard. I've seen big parties of people fighting one animal that looks weak. The party is doing about 15dmg per hit with most having around 1000hp. But these animal hit around 800dmg. and some guys go down in one hitIt seems very unfair and very annoying. Do you have to party up with others? I'd like too anyway but if no one is online can I run round solo doing quests without dying all the time.I've never played FF11, so I know almost nothing about how the linkshell thing works or the game. It will be my first MMORPG

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 20 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
484 posts

Re: Final Fantasy 14*

Dec 29, 2010

.... o.o

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 20 (55 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Dec 31, 2010

From what I played of the game in the Closed Beta and from what I know of the game itself, you do not have to group with other players to gain xp or fight mobs at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 20 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Dec 31, 2010

Do not under any circumstances get this game. It's gotten terrible reviews because of how broken everything is. The PS3 version may not even come out because the PC version is going through a huge reworking. Much of the staff was fired and replaced to fix the game. If I were you I would download MapleStory, it's a much better MMO and it's free too.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 20 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
484 posts

Jan 2, 2011

Whats a "mob"?

I tried other mmo's didnt like maple story. I will be getting ff14, I have seen the reviews. SE know ff14 is bad, but they are fixing it. Better than other games, Oblivion... never get patched & full of crap bugs.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 20 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8519 posts

Jan 3, 2011

Hurakan, a 'mob' is a term generally used for any attackable target (generally monsters). Not sure if it is an abbreviation or something, but that's what it means.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 20 (55 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3470 posts

Jan 3, 2011

sgtJARHEADxX wrote:

Do not under any circumstances get this game. It's gotten terrible reviews because of how broken everything is. The PS3 version may not even come out because the PC version is going through a huge reworking. Much of the staff was fired and replaced to fix the game. If I were you I would download MapleStory, it's a much better MMO and it's free too.

The staff was fired?  Where did you hear that?

All MMO's go through a rough period, some worse than others, some a lot worse than others, and some get pushed out the door far to soon as this game obviously was.  It is impossible to judge an MMO at the beginning of its life until it settles.   In my opinion a good six months minimum maybe even a year should be given before final judgement depending on what kind of shape the game is in.  If they have it pretty togethor near the beginning, like a few months after launch thats great, but a game in the shape Final Fantasy is in I'd give it about a year.  If it still doesn't flow and has major issues after a year it is probably beyond help.

MMO's really need some time to mature out in the wild, just the nature of how they work. 

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 20 (55 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11161 posts

Jan 3, 2011

Mob = Monster. If I recall correcItly, it is short for Mobile Object, from the early MMO years.

I hope that by the time it is finally (if ever) released for the PS3 that it has been improved, but with all the various issues and obvious shortcomings (SE has already extended the 30day free trial period 3 times from what I've heard) I am not holding my breath. As pointed out by WhiteOyster, it is too early to tell if it's completely hopeless, yet nothing I've heard even hints at any true fixes.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 20 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Jan 4, 2011

White_oyster wrote:

sgtJARHEADxX wrote:

The staff was fired?  Where did you hear that?

All MMO's go through a rough period, some worse than others, some a lot worse than others, and some get pushed out the door far to soon as this game obviously was.  It is impossible to judge an MMO at the beginning of its life until it settles.   In my opinion a good six months minimum maybe even a year should be given before final judgement depending on what kind of shape the game is in.  If they have it pretty togethor near the beginning, like a few months after launch thats great, but a game in the shape Final Fantasy is in I'd give it about a year.  If it still doesn't flow and has major issues after a year it is probably beyond help.

MMO's really need some time to mature out in the wild, just the nature of how they work. 

Yes! No! wait...what was the question again?

They didn't use the word 'fired' obviously since official PR releases always use flowerly speech, but the game is under completely new managment with a new director and some other staff changes. The low level programmers are probably all the same, but the people in charge of the project have changed.

As for the state of the game, it's a lot better now than it was at release, but there is still of course work to be done.

Some of the big improvements that have already been made:

• The UI is a hell of a lot faster now
  • Crafting recipes are now saved (last 8 used/learned)
  • Market wards are categorized
  • Market wards can now be searched
  • You get two free retainer slots
  • Inventory space has been increased
  • You can sort your inventory
  • They removed +1, +2, +3 of items, now it's just nomral or +1 (this helps a lot with inventory space)
  • Anima costs reduced, regen increased, and 'favorite locations' added (uses 2 anima regardless of how far away)
  • Anima cost to cities is a fixed cost of 2, regardless of where you are
  • Plus many other things I've probably forgotten...

A complete list of version updates can be found here: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/verup

The biggest thing lacking (for me) right now is content. Grinding the same monsters for hours on end just isn't fun anymore. It's what FFXI did, and I really liked that game, but I guess I've been spoiled by newer games that use a quest based system for leveling up rather than the grinding based system FFXIV uses.

As for solo play ... technically you can solo all the way, but it will be EXTREAMLY slow and painful once you get into the 20's for your class rank. At that point you will rank up much, much faster if you are in a party. It is possible to solo, but extreamly slow. Crafting and gathering however are obviously solo jobs and not something you party with.

Currently PC owners get to play for free, they have not charged money yet and I'm not sure when they'll start. They didn't give a set timeline the last time they said free trials were extended.

The PS3 version is delayed to an undetermined time, it would be highly unlikely that we'll see it by March (they've said as much).

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 20 (55 Views)
Wastelander
913 posts

Jan 22, 2011

Man, this is really upsetting.. I've been out of the loop with playstation the last few months because my house was robbed by some kids and they stole my ps3.. And as a writer, I used the time to catch up on work and be a little bit more of an adult for a while.. But walking through best buy, I couldn't resist any longer, and finally got another ps3. The main reason being is that when my ps3 was stolen I was really getting into ffxiii.. I forgot the title chapter i was in.. But i just remember it being the place where the game becomes less linear, and finally allows you to be free and go around on your own.. Maybe 75% complete.. So i got the ps3 to continue on the path.. Only to realize i had to start over.. Unfortunately even though i signed in and have trophies, there was no saved game except for on the stolen ps3.. So im starting over..

But i remember really looking forward to ff 14 because it would have been my first mmorpg. Not only that, but the whole concept of an online ff seemed awesome to me. When ff xi came out on ps2, I didn't have broadband internet, and so i never got the chance.. now that i have the means and everything set up for an online ff game, I have been digging into research and playing as much rpgs as possible in preparation. So looking at youtube clips of ff 14 for pc, and watching clips of gameplay, I decided to be patient and wait for the ps3 release instead of jumping the gun and getting it for my laptop.. So to hear that it's been a failure.. and that it might not even come out for ps3 is like the worse news ever..

I really hope SE gets their stuff together because in the history of all their ff games, they've only had one mmorpg.. FFXI.. And it was a huge success.. One that continues to prosper today.. So they should be more than aware of how huge the news is that they are releasing a ff online game for the next gen console (ps3).. They can't get away that easily with canceling it due to bugs and un planned issues with it's pc release.. This is the game that would probably live & thrive non stop for the next 5 years to come.. & to be forever placed in the history books as one of the biggest titles ever.. so i hope not just for me, but for all of our sakes that they can resolve this, because i would really like to get a chance to be involved in an online ff game.. dream come true..

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 20 (55 Views)
0 Likes