Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
First Son
22 posts

Re: FFXIII-2

Apr 16, 2011

Personally, I'm at most interested. I didn't play XIII because A.) I'm a broke ass loser and B.) a friend of mine bought it and I ended up watching him play through it if a few days. If there was anything I could say good about the game was that I'm glad they went back to a full-blown futuristic style for the story. I do like the medieval look, but my favs have always been FFVII and VIII (XII was what I would call a "Hybrid" of the two and was pretty decent, though I haven't really played it yet.) When I saw the teaser trailer for XIII-2 (and finished laughing at them spoiling the ending for the people who still hadn't played XIII yet), I was quite intriqued by what I was seeing. Just make it clear, I'm curious to see how they get to the point in which they are wearing armor and living in stone building. I hope that the game will at least deal with the flaws of XIII (small world, little substance, and full control of your allies.) Heck, if any thing, they could bring back the gambit system of the XII ( give a different name if they'd like, wouldn't bother me.) I hope we'll see more at E3.

Message 21 of 23 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Apr 18, 2011

AzureSkieth wrote:

Personally, I'm at most interested. I didn't play XIII because A.) I'm a broke *** loser and B.) a friend of mine bought it and I ended up watching him play through it if a few days. If there was anything I could say good about the game was that I'm glad they went back to a full-blown futuristic style for the story. I do like the medieval look, but my favs have always been FFVII and VIII (XII was what I would call a "Hybrid" of the two and was pretty decent, though I haven't really played it yet.) When I saw the teaser trailer for XIII-2 (and finished laughing at them spoiling the ending for the people who still hadn't played XIII yet), I was quite intriqued by what I was seeing. Just make it clear, I'm curious to see how they get to the point in which they are wearing armor and living in stone building. I hope that the game will at least deal with the flaws of XIII (small world, little substance, and full control of your allies.) Heck, if any thing, they could bring back the gambit system of the XII ( give a different name if they'd like, wouldn't bother me.) I hope we'll see more at E3.

That would be nice wouldn't it?

Unfortunatly they are making action games these days, and action games do not allow you to do such things simply by the fact you have no time to issue them any kind of orders.

The most you get are pre-set generic 'strategies' that never seem to work right. Gambits would be better than the nothing you get in XIII, but even so the gambits were terribly lacking and you often had to issue orders to your party members. For example the greatest flaw in XIII's gambits were the healing ones. You didn't get an option for the computer to decide if the entire party is hurt, use an AOE (Area of Effect) cure, otherwise use a single target. Same goes for damage/debuff spells for that mater. There was no concept for it to decide between single target or AOE.

Then of course you have the artificial limit on the number of gambit slots.

The AI in every RPG I have played has been absolutly terrible =/

Message 22 of 23 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Apr 18, 2011

colstripcapn wrote:

That would be nice wouldn't it?

Unfortunatly they are making action games these days, and action games do not allow you to do such things simply by the fact you have no time to issue them any kind of orders.

The most you get are pre-set generic 'strategies' that never seem to work right. Gambits would be better than the nothing you get in XIII, but even so the gambits were terribly lacking and you often had to issue orders to your party members. For example the greatest flaw in XIII's gambits were the healing ones. You didn't get an option for the computer to decide if the entire party is hurt, use an AOE (Area of Effect) cure, otherwise use a single target. Same goes for damage/debuff spells for that mater. There was no concept for it to decide between single target or AOE.

Then of course you have the artificial limit on the number of gambit slots.

The AI in every RPG I have played has been absolutly terrible =/

Even terrible, A.I. partners give some support. Even if its just as a distraction for the opponent, that gives you the chance to think up a better strategy while mob is trying to hit your other party member. I'm not saying I would love them to put the Gambit system in, I miss the turn-based combat, but considering the style it would have been nice. FF games usually have a habit of keeping what works into the next games (i.e. the sphere grid system that started in X, but as has been pointed out, has appeared in each single player game in one for or another.) Just like with thats system, they could have just brought it back and then changed the name and added a few changes. I know we would have all preferred to have direct control, but a Gambit system would have been at least a good alternative.

Message 23 of 23 (6 Views)
0 Likes