Dec 28 2009
By: Sgt_Phantomizer First Son 14 posts

FFT War of The Lions - Stuck in Riovanes Castle...HELP!!!

7 replies 502 views Edited Dec 28, 2008

Not sure if i'm pposting this in the right place, but anyways.....a couple of months ago i bought FFT War of The Lions (i played the original which i still owned some 5-6 years ago) and got to Chapter 3 and Riovanes Castle Keep, i only kept one save so when i couldn't beat Wiegraf i was pretty much beaten without alternatives by the game itself, i tried and i tried but i just couldn't beat Wiegraf before he killed Ramza. Last week i decided to give the game a second go and started from scratch again (this time, keeping seperate saves including one right before Riovanes Castle) and yet again i'am stuck at Riovanes Castle Keep (god, i swear the original wasn't so hard -_-).

The way i'm playing i got Ramza to lvl 19 as a Knight (which i mastered already), however Ramza against Wiegraf as a Knight just doesn't cut it it, 1 hit from Hallowed Bolt and a sword hit on the next turn and he kills Ramza. Last night i experimented around and found that as a Monk i could stand a slightly better chance, on my first try Wiegraf came up to me leaving just 1 space between us and used that Monk skill that hits everything in a straight line in front of the character (i forgot it's name) which didn't damage me very much, on my turn i walked up to Wiegraf's side and used Aim 4 on him taking out about half his HP, on Wiegraf's second turn he walked to my side and used his sword to attack but i blocked it (yay!) and than Ramza counterattacked with Tackle taking out a little bit of HP out of Wiegraf, on Ramza's second turn i walked to Wiegraf's back and attacked him (couldn't re-use Aim 4 because it took 2 turns to use) and left Wiegraf kneeling on the Floor thus triggering the second Phase of the battle. Now here is where i got stuck yet again, i used besides Ramza Agrias, a White Mage, Mustadio and that other game Hunter dude you encounter before getting to Riovanes Castle, i only lasted long enough to beat one of the demons but the rest unfortunately overwhelmed me with their strong magic attacks (i think they were summons).

I've honestly run out of ideas, i haven't been able to successfully replicate the results of using Ramza as a Monk to beat Wiegraf, i attempted it several times but only managed to get Wiegraf to miss once, on my second turn when i went to attack him he counterattacked me and killed me.

Online yesterday i found a Walkthrough that suggested 2-3 different strategies for dealing with Wiegraf, one was to use Auto Potion and Chakra, but it would take me a while to get those skills since i don't have very many Job Points in either Chemist or Monkl jobs, the other strategy was to use the Dragoon's jump attack skill, but i haven't unlocked the Dragoon job either.

The Dragoon strategy sounds promising since Wiegraf can't counterattack it, but i'm willing to try those only as a last resort (gonna take me a fair share of battles to level up and unlock the Dragoon job).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Re: FFT War of The Lions - Stuck in Riovanes Castle...HELP!!!

Dec 31, 2008
hi i've already completed the game and i don't remember how i got past this bit but my habit with these type of games is that before i proceed with the main story line i spend my time levelling up and making my characters stronger before i do anything else this way i don't have too much trouble in the future! so that'll be your best bet at this point...sorry dude
Message 2 of 8 (502 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1003 posts

Jan 1, 2009
Wow it's been awhile since I played that but it sounds like the part where you are behind the gate with him? Sorry it was long post lol. I just used the Auto Potion and Jump skill as a lancer, but i see you wanted to avoid that i believe. Good Luck, was just saying how i beat him
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 3 of 8 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 1, 2009

Thanks for the replies, the problem is is that it'll take me a crap-load of time to get Ramza over to being a Lancer, but at this point i've waited enough and really just willing to try anything....

And it's the battle INSIDE the castle, already did the one outside.

Message 4 of 8 (502 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
61 posts

Jan 2, 2009
Dude...  I know exactly what you're talking about!  I kept getting owned by him, and I only had one save file...  I was so mad, I knew I had to start over.   I can't remember, but I think there was a guide on gamfaqs or something that went over the battle.  But yeah...   I hated that I couldn't get past that part lol
Message 5 of 8 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Jan 2, 2009

always save on a different file before you enter a castle, you never know whats gonna come up. my reccomendation is to simply backtrack and train you're ass off for a good hour or two. you'll be set. 

i loved that game. got ramza and luso to dark knight and made ramza's stats godly by leveling up as a ninja and leveling down as a bard. sorry i ranted  :smileyhappy:

Message 6 of 8 (502 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 16, 2013

Weigraf at riovanes is always the worst. I always get up to at least lvl 40 before heading in. Beat the game 3 times, my personal favorite. It is never easy.  In my most recent playthrough I have Ramza with both the knight class and the black mage class mastered. I've been leaning on mage because weigraf kills me in the knight job. As a mage he hits me once with hallowed bolt, nearly kills me; but then I hit him with flare for around 500 hp depending on what I have equipped (gotta ballance between health and magic  boosts) and roast his sorry as. HOWEVER, I am turdly stuck of the second half of the battle.  The summon spell Gigas uses is too much for me, my troops usually can't really spread out in time to react. Been using a dragoon, mastered oracle/white mage, archer (with gun equ. [is my onion knight trainee, with 4 mastered jobs so far]), a second knight/black mage unit (this one focused on the knight job)... GALL I say, GAL

Message 7 of 8 (453 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 16, 2013

sorry, that's a mystic in the remake. (haha Oracles sucked so hard, and mystics are bosses)

Message 8 of 8 (451 Views)
0 Likes