Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Splicer
75 posts

Re: FF8-Triple Triad...no spoilers plz, I'm only on disc 2!

Oct 31, 2003

,What happens when you use the rule called Diff?

With the Diff trading rule, the number of cards you win is due to the difference in your score and the loser's. If you won 8 to 2, you'd get all of your opponent's cards; 7 to 3, four cards, and so on. While All is better, it tends to "de-evolve" after a while into Direct, which really, really sucks (you only win the cards you turn over during the game). Diff just de-evolves back into One.

In order to get Diff in my game, I first had to repeatedly challenge the Queen of Cards until she used it, then I had to make it the dominant trading rule (just by playing a lot in one area) and then spread it from place to place.

Message 11 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3161 posts

Oct 31, 2003

,Marigold Futura wrote:

With the Diff trading rule, the number of cards you win is due to the difference in your score and the loser's. If you won 8 to 2, you'd get all of your opponent's cards; 7 to 3, four cards, and so on. While All is better, it tends to "de-evolve" after a while into Direct, which really, really sucks (you only win the cards you turn over during the game). Diff just de-evolves back into One.

In order to get Diff in my game, I first had to repeatedly challenge the Queen of Cards until she used it, then I had to make it the dominant trading rule (just by playing a lot in one area) and then spread it from place to place.

Hmm, that sounds like a cool rule!  I think I'll be making a visit to the Queen of Cards this morning...
Message 12 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7204 posts

Oct 31, 2003

,BaltimoreGirl wrote:

,Marigold Futura wrote:

Hmm, that sounds like a cool rule!  I think I'll be making a visit to the Queen of Cards this morning...
Have fun. . .the Queen of Cards Quest is one of the hardest sidequests that I have ever done.  It is almost impossible to complete the card quest with the Direct rule, Random rule, or Difference rule.  If you have any questions about the quest or where the newly-made cards get sent to, then PM me.
Message 13 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

Nov 1, 2003

,Have fun. . .the Queen of Cards Quest is one of the hardest sidequests that I have ever done.  It is almost impossible to complete the card quest with the Direct rule, Random rule, or Difference rule. 

It's incredibly easy, however, if you've manipulated the rules to be Open everywhere.

And what do you mean, it's impossible to complete with Diff?

Message 14 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
913 posts

Nov 1, 2003
Well, it was just a card game, but, well, it does help you get to the second moon in disk 5...
Message 15 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8547 posts

Nov 1, 2003

,BaltimoreGirl wrote:

Did anyone else get totally addicted to that damn card gane in FF8?  I have. 

I'm trying to get at least one of every card, especially the player cards.  I'll get more of each card if I can make something good with them.  In the past few days, I think I've spent more hours on the card game than advancing through the plot of the game!  IMO, Triple Triad is way better than any of the mini-games in FF7...what do y'all think? 

-Sarah a.k.a. Baltimore Girl

I loved playing it, it's so much fun, but I hate when you get the random rule, it blows.

Message Edited by drivefast1690 on 11-01-2003 12:27 PM

Message 16 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7204 posts

Nov 1, 2003

,Marigold Futura wrote:

,Have fun. . .the Queen of Cards Quest is one of the hardest sidequests that I have ever done.  It is almost impossible to complete the card quest with the Direct rule, Random rule, or Difference rule. 

It's incredibly easy, however, if you've manipulated the rules to be Open everywhere.

And what do you mean, it's impossible to complete with Diff?

In order for the queen's father to make new cards for you, you must lose the correct card to the queen, when you have the Difference rule on. . .it makes things a little harder than the One rule, don't you think?
Message 17 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3161 posts

Nov 2, 2003

,Grakkar wrote:
Well, it was just a card game, but, well, it does help you get to the second moon in disk 5...

Helloooo?  I asked for no spoilers, that means don't hint to other parts of the game!  Please pay attention to things like that.    If I wanted help or spoilers, I would have asked!
Message 18 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1203 posts

Nov 2, 2003

,Grakkar wrote:

there is no disk five. nor do you land on the moon. where did you get that from, grakkar?

"Tell me friend, you ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?"
Message 19 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4285 posts

Nov 2, 2003

,FF_Master777 wrote:

,Grakkar wrote:

there is no disk five. nor do you land on the moon. where did you get that from, grakkar?

The only five disc game I know of is Riven. Is Myst' sequel....Maybe he's referring to that...or maybe he's gone crazy.
Message 20 of 24 (1 View)
0 Likes