Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2012
Offline
4668 posts
 

Re: FF13

Oct 7, 2012

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

DivinePaladin27 wrote:
I can't see any Final Fantasy game ever beating out any other game ever by miles, especially one after VII. Once VII came out, the chance of any other FF game succeeding over it died. There's no way XIII would've been the best FF ever, let alone game. No game ever reaches its hype, so it's not like I'm singling out FFXIII here.

That has a lot to due with the 360 port and since the PS3 Only Build was never released nothing can be said for certain.  Although, Lightning Returns is something different to the Final Fantasy Series and as potential to be as good as or better than FF7.


No, I'm saying XIII would NEVER have EVER been better than VII, not as a PS3 game nor a multiplat game, because fans are stubborn pricks.  It could've been good, but the majority of fans don't seem to allow their childhood to be surpassed.

 

Same goes for Lightning Returns, but for different reasons.  The fact that it's more of an action-RPG than a regular JRPG will turn off a lot of Japanese fans, as will the fact that Lightning's the main star (look at XIII-2's sales for my reasoning on that).

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 21 of 172 (298 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2011
Offline
5310 posts
 

Re: FF13

Oct 7, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:

Nocturnal__Gamer wrote:

DivinePaladin27 wrote:
I can't see any Final Fantasy game ever beating out any other game ever by miles, especially one after VII. Once VII came out, the chance of any other FF game succeeding over it died. There's no way XIII would've been the best FF ever, let alone game. No game ever reaches its hype, so it's not like I'm singling out FFXIII here.

That has a lot to due with the 360 port and since the PS3 Only Build was never released nothing can be said for certain.  Although, Lightning Returns is something different to the Final Fantasy Series and as potential to be as good as or better than FF7.


No, I'm saying XIII would NEVER have EVER been better than VII, not as a PS3 game nor a multiplat game, because fans are stubborn pricks.  It could've been good, but the majority of fans don't seem to allow their childhood to be surpassed.

 

Same goes for Lightning Returns, but for different reasons.  The fact that it's more of an action-RPG than a regular JRPG will turn off a lot of Japanese fans, as will the fact that Lightning's the main star (look at XIII-2's sales for my reasoning on that).


True, but from the prespective of a gamer that doesn't dwell on stupid things such as "it was my childhood."  You can't solidly say that since it was never released.  I already know that most FF fans don't like any FF that doesn't have at the end of it because they're extremely baised in judging so no one cares about them.  As for Lightning Returns I can see how the Japanese market wouldn't like at the same time I see the Japanese market embracing it like Majora's Mask.  Since the game doesn't focus heavily on action.  It just drops the tradition turn-based system most FF games have to make a more unique gameplay feel.

Message 22 of 172 (284 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 10/07/2012
Offline
521 posts
 

Re: FF13

Oct 7, 2012

Not a huge FF fan, I played XIII and I did not like it all that much.

 

My 4 favourite Final Fantasy games in order are:

1. Final Fantasy X

2. Final Fantasy VI

3. Final Fantasy VIII

4. Final Fantasy VII

 

The reason it is a top 4 list is because I only like 4 of the games. I really dislike FF I - IV and I think V is average. I like Kuja and some of the scenery and eviornments looks really neat in IX but other then that the game was fairly bland. XIII and XIII 2 are just bad games in my opinion, especially XIII 2 because the story was just god awful. FF XII Is the only one I have yet to play, but judging from the abyssmal things I hear about it, it will probably be average at best.

 

As for Microsoft ruining XIII, you are right, if what you say about the games re-build is true.

 

 

Message 23 of 172 (280 Views)
Reply
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2012
Offline
4668 posts
 

Re: FF13

Oct 7, 2012
No one cares about them, but they still have the majority rule. Either way, exclusive or not, it never would've lived up to that majority's hopes. That's really my only point, and it's the only one I can definitively say about a subject that we have no real knowledge on.

Though I'm curious as to how the 360 port ruined the games if you said yourself that the PS3 build was never released.
ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 24 of 172 (278 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2011
Offline
5310 posts
 

Re: FF13

Oct 7, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:
No one cares about them, but they still have the majority rule. Either way, exclusive or not, it never would've lived up to that majority's hopes. That's really my only point, and it's the only one I can definitively say about a subject that we have no real knowledge on.

Though I'm curious as to how the 360 port ruined the games if you said yourself that the PS3 build was never released.

I understand what you mean but that would just mean we would ignore the sales chart basically since it didn't reflect the game.  Also, what I mean by that is the original build of the game that was being made until they had to cut back, dumb down and port the game to the 360.

Message 25 of 172 (269 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2012
Offline
4668 posts
 

Re: FF13

Oct 7, 2012
I understood what you meant, but how do you know it was cut back and dumbed down when the PS3 version wasn't released?
ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 26 of 172 (266 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2011
Offline
5310 posts
 

Re: FF13

Oct 7, 2012

DivinePaladin27 wrote:
I understood what you meant, but how do you know it was cut back and dumbed down when the PS3 version wasn't released?

It's the same version but direstcially cut back and dumbed down compared to what the PS3 Only Version was suppose to be.  The one thing i remember clearly as a pic of the original build compared to the dumbed down version.  What I remember most from the picture was Lightning's clothing was far more detailed compared to what was released.

Message 27 of 172 (264 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 10/07/2012
Offline
521 posts
 

Re: FF13

Oct 7, 2012

Vague memory of a single screenshot does not add up to a very good argument. Did Square ever say that they scaled back?

Message 28 of 172 (258 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 02/25/2012
Offline
4668 posts
 

Re: FF13

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

Pretty much every screenshot I recall from early development (before the 360 version's announcement) was clearly pre-rendered. From what I've seen, the 360 version only dumbed down things specifically on that version (such as the graphics being lowered to 720p specifically on 360). The game would've still been linear and involved poorly-written characters regardless of its exclusivity, and that's what was bashed. The graphics were the only thing that changed, and the only thing that would've needed to change, with a change from PS3 to multiplat, so I don't see how one change that's exclusive to the console that was added really ruins the game when it'd've feasibly (assuming Square Enix develops like literally every other developer in existence) ended up maybe very slightly better at best.

ecdf9e46
Visit PAStadium's YouTube Channel for all of your Project Axis needs!
Message 29 of 172 (251 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 10/07/2012
Offline
521 posts
 

Re: FF13

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

Here is some unrelated food for thought.

Square said that they would release a remake of FF VII if new Final Fantasy games sold as well as past iterations. FF XIII sold better then any other game in the series. Yet no remake has been announced.

 

Well F*** you two Square. -_-

Message 30 of 172 (244 Views)
Reply
0 Likes