Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 16 2010
By: LikeRA1N Wastelander 631 posts

Do we REALLY want a Final Fantasy 7 remake?

57 replies 165 views Edited Nov 16, 2010

I'm FINALLY getting a chance to play FF7 after hearing about it for over a decade. I downloaded it from the PlayStation Network Store and while the game is good, I do believe it is way over hyped. I guess nostalgia got the best of FF7 fanboys as the game isn't what many make it out to be.

Best RPG ever it most certainly isn't. Best Final Fantasy game ever? That's disagreeable. This game was many people's first Final Fantasy game so it holds a place in many gamers' hearts while creating a huge cult following of fans who can't let the title rest. And I can understand that. I'm playing the game over 10 years later and having a blast with it. The graphics aren't the best, the writing is ATROCIOUS, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the game. Over a decade after release...

But...

Do we really want/need a remake of this game?

Let's face it, while it may seem like a good idea, many parts of this game is downright...silly! Too silly to be adapted to next gen!

I mean...how will they adapt Cloud's cross-dressing scene? Or will we be able to take the talking cat, Red XIII I believe his name was (I named him Arkadia. Red XIII was a bit much for me) seriously? What about all the silly mini-games? Remember Cloud snowboarding down the mountain? Just think about all the silly moments...next gen! *shivers*

Maybe FF7 should just be remembered for what it was and not what it COULD BE. It could be an epic fail if adapted to next-gen. Which would ruin the series forever.

...Fanboys, I'm talking to you.

(What are some of YOUR reasons you think FF7 should/should not make it to next-gen?)

Photobucket
Message 1 of 58 (165 Views)
Wastelander
676 posts

Re: Do we REALLY want a Final Fantasy 7 remake?

Nov 16, 2010

well to each his own , but i think a remake would be sweet. I am not a ff7 fanboy either . i think it was a really great game back when it came out but by no means would i say its the best ever. i dont even think its the best ff game. either way if they remade it i would def be into that !

Message 2 of 58 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Nov 16, 2010

I remake would be nice but I really doubt we will see it happen.

Do I want a remake...............YES! Although, I would prefer a remake or sequel to Chrono Cross or if they had to do one of the Final Fantasy series......I would vote for a remake of VIII.

Message 3 of 58 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6044 posts

Nov 16, 2010

The reason why FF7 is so overrated and loved is because it was the first truly widely marketed and successful RPG's.  Casual gamers, Mainstream gamers, and RPG gamers were all playing it and it sold VERY well. 

FF3 (FFVI in JP) is the best FF game ever made, and your right about the nostalgia part... that's prob why it's my favorite. 

If they made a remake, I wouldn't buy it.  I prefer new games. 

Level 9,999 Laharl
Message 4 of 58 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
711 posts

Nov 16, 2010

FF7 was my first foray into RPG's and I would buy a remake simply for the nostalgia.  I have it on disc, and download from the PSN.  I played it again all the way to the end, just trying to finally beat Ruby Weapon.  I may or may not be a fanboy but this one game, opened my eyes to the precessors, and I actually like one more than seven.  Just my two cents

Money will buy you a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.
If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all.
Message 5 of 58 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2022 posts

Nov 16, 2010

Unless it is brought completely up-to-date I believe we do not need a remake. I really liked the game a lot when it first came out. I pro-created every one of every Materia for every character including the Summons. If they did a re-make and expected me to purchase it Knights of the Round would have to be re-done in full 3D along with every other summon.

Message 6 of 58 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
711 posts

Nov 16, 2010

CoarseDragon wrote:

Unless it is brought completely up-to-date I believe we do not need a remake. I really liked the game a lot when it first came out. I pro-created every one of every Materia for every character including the Summons. If they did a re-make and expected me to purchase it Knights of the Round would have to be re-done in full 3D along with every other summon.

that would be SICK!

Money will buy you a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.
If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all.
Message 7 of 58 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5125 posts

Nov 16, 2010

I don't. Especially if Square Enix was to do it. At this point, Level 5 could make a better Final Fantasy game, I seriously believe this.

Message 8 of 58 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7744 posts

Nov 16, 2010

YukitoKunisaki wrote:

I don't. Especially if Square Enix was to do it. At this point, Level 5 could make a better Final Fantasy game, I seriously believe this.

That is until they kick Wada out.

"Can you see your end? Then death be yours!" ~ Brahms
Message 9 of 58 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2065 posts

Nov 16, 2010

You're right about the nostalgia. FFVII was the first real RPG I ever played and it got me hooked on the things and is now pretty much all I play. It can't be that bad of a game if it did that.

Is it the best game ever? No. Is it the best FF game? Depends on the person, for me it would be I think the 2nd for the main series. Or perhaps tied with IX for first place.

Do we need a remake? Depends. Personally I would only want the graphics updated. If they did voice acting ... they damn well had better not use the same voices they used in the Advent Children movie. That was the worst set of voices I have ever heard and that movie nearly ruined the entire game in my mind. I want to thorw that movie into a volcano so it can go back to hell where it came from ... it was THAT bad.

If they changed the story or gameplay though... no, I never want to see that happen. I like the game the way it is, if they want to change it they can make a new game on a different planet in the same universe (FFXIII and Vs XIII style). Square-Enix as it is right now would completely destroy the game, so because of that I'm going to say no I do not want a remake. I'm happy with the game as it is right now, and I still go back and play it from time to time.

I don't really understand why you think parts of the game couldn't be 'next gen' though? Because they're not 'real'? That's a poor argument as it's in the fantasy genre, not sci-fi. Just that you think it's stupid? Well, that's opinion. For example Cloud's cross dressing ... what's the big deal? That's mild to say Dragon Age where you can have a same sex relationship or Fable II (and assume III) where you can not only do the same, but also cross dress as well. Both are quote 'next gen' games and sold well. Then Red XIII? He was a science experiment to Hojo, thus he was just given bassicaly a specimen number, not at all uncommon when expirements are performed on lab animals.

Spoiler
Play the game a little further and you find out his real name is Nanaki.

Message 10 of 58 (165 Views)
0 Likes