Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 28 2012
By: fstopover Lombax Warrior 251 posts
Accepted Solution

Defeating Yuni in the Archyite Steppe-battle tactics, shifting paradigms?

22 replies 71 views Edited Feb 28, 2012

I've been stuck for weeks on defeating Yomi. I've played 128 hours and have 111 out of 160 fragments.

I've maxed both Sarah ( HP 7093/CP 63600 ) and Noel ( HP 9066/CP 63600 ) at 99.

I've got the Bunkerbeast ( Lvl 68 ), Denbrobium ( Lvl 64 ) and Golden Chocobo ( Lvl 32 ) in my monster paradign pack.

I've looked at Youtube videos and it seems that, during the battle, the tamed monsters are being switched.

I can change the leader but I've never been able to change the tamed monster.

I can switch paradigms by using L1 and moving the L3 control.

But it seems as if in the Youtube videos and written guides that the paradigm options are different than what I have. I can get different paradigms by using different tamed monsters ( using the Bunkerbeast or Denbrobium produces different paradigms for example ) but I've been only able to use one of them during the battle.

Is there anything that I'm not doing right?

I guess I could change my mode to "easy." I'm on "normal."  Wouldn't that alter my entire game achievements.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
212 posts

Re: Defeating Yuni in the Archyite Steppe-battle tactics, shifting paradigms?

Feb 28, 2012

You have played 128 hours and don't know how the paragdigms work?!

I got platinum in the first FFXIII in 112 hours and XIII-2 in 63 hours.

What have you been doing?!

You can modify your paragdigms however you want.  You can have medic, medic, monster 1.  medic medic monster 2, etc.

I had a sentinal monster, medic monster, and either commando/ravenger monster.

Yomi is hard but beatable.  Just keep your hp up, switch to all sentinals when he uses his powerful attack.  Use wounding attacks.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Feb 28, 2012

Thanks for the encouragement.

Could you give me a link about the paradigms?

How do you configure Sarah or Noel as a medic, for example?

At least according to Dengeki PlayStation's interview  with Final Fantasy XIII-2 director Motomu Toriyama and battle director Yusuke Matsui the game's not intuitive to the extreme:

"It's possible to build up your monsters into powerful beasts, as you can make one monster inherit abilities from others. Toriyama said that he's currently try to make the ultimate monster. This is the first time he's wanted a strategy guide while test playing a game."

http://andriasang.com/comywh/

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
436 posts

Feb 28, 2012

I platinumd it awhile ago but the way i used to do it and i know its not the best way was using a sentinel in all my paradigms except the synergist paradigm. I mainly chose this method because i didn't have a high level saboteur monster but this method works well. My sentinel is silver chocobo. the battle shouldn't be a challenge at all if you use a sentinel in all paradigms except 3 synergists but may be a bit more time consuming than normal.

Here is the setup(remember sentinel in all paradigms except 3 synergists one)

Commando+ravager (main one)

ravager+ravager (build up chain guage)

saboteur+saboteur (inflict ailments deprotect,deshell,imperil,poison)

synergist+synergist+synergist (only use this at the very beginning of the battle and during impenetrable aura)

medic+medic

sentinel+sentinel

you want to beef your party up with serah,noel, and purple chocobo or yakshini on synergist then switch to saboteur+saboteur and cast deprotect,deshell,imperil, and the most important POISON! keep casting poison over and over then switch to your assault when yomi is poisoned. when it uses impenetrable aura, heal if needed then stick to synergist until the aura is gone and when it is gone switch to saboteurs and repeat.remember to only use 3 synergists when yomi is in the impenetrable aura mode. when yomi uses whicked whirl quickly switch to tortoise(sentinel+sentinel+sentinel) and then heal if needed.

Most important part of the battle is getting poison on yomi. it will take multiple full atb bar attempts for poison to stick but keep at it, it's a must for this battle.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
436 posts

Feb 29, 2012

use a sentinel with your 2 medics serah and hope. use a sentinel in every paradigm except for your 3 synergists one. i recommended using serah and hope as saboteur and keeping a sentinel in and casting the 4 ailments on yomi until its on and then continue with the assault (commando+ravager and ravager+ravager)

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Feb 29, 2012

It isn't so bad, once you realize the pattern of the boss, it just takes time.

I always start with SAB/SYN/SEN to start laying out some debuffs and getting buffs up on myself.

If Noel is done buffing, and the boss still dosen't have deprotect and poison stuck, I switch to SAB/SAB/SEN.

Once at least deprotect and poison are up I switch to Relentless Assault (RAV/COM/RAV) to try and stagger him, he should already be close because of the SAB's. Once staggered I switch to all COM's (COM/COM/COM) because on a staggered foe that's how you do the most damage.

Now, he'll throw up his shield quite often. Sometimes you'll get him staggered, sometimes you won't, but when he throws up his shield you go to MED/MED/SEN to get back to full health.

Then you rinse and repeat from the start until he dies. Honestly, poison does most of the work in this fight. I'm usually only able to stagger him once or twice, but when it happens he looses a lot of health.

I usually don't care if I start to get low on health when he's staggered, because when he throws his shield up he just sits there doing nothing giving you plenty of time to heal up and/or raise a dead monster.

Change the difficulty to "Easy" in the options menu if you haven't already and are still having trouble unless you want the challenege. Regardless, with two durable collector's catalog's you get over 100k gil each time you kill him.

I should also say that with both Noel and Sarah I use the ATB +50% weapons, in my opinion they are the best in the game. Even though they don't have the highest Strength or Magic, you attack/buff/debuff/heal twice as fast more than making up for it.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Feb 29, 2012

Thanks everyone. And, oh yeah, it's Yomi not Yuni...

I went back to my Piggyback strategy guide and finally found the area about paradigms.

What I didn't understand was the mechanics of creating them. The guide wasn't too instructive about this but I figured it out. It did have suggestions as to what paradigms were supposed to be effective.

It recommended:

SAB/SYN/Dendrobium

MED/SYN/Dendrobium

SAB/SAB/Dendrobium

MED/MED/Yakshini

COM/COM/Dendrobium

SEN/SEN/Bunkerbeast

Yakshini is found on The Vile Peaks, so I haven't been there...

I've used the Gahongas Synergist, now at Lvl 48. My Dendrobium is Lvl 65 and my Bunkerbeast is Lvl 68.

I was supposed to use the first two; then MED/MED...

and SEN/SEN... when Yomi uses the Wicked Whirl.

I still haven't beat Yomi. And I'm a little confused about when to use the paradigms.

When I'm getting wiped out I've used the MED/MED/Gahongas one.

I'm not sure when to use the Commando one.

Dayed, you've been using SYN/SYN when Yoni is in the imprenetrable mode.  That's SAB/SYN/Dendrobium ( Espionage ) in my case.

To poison, when Yomi's not in the impenetratable mode, I would use SAB/SAB/Dendrobium ( Infiltration ).

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Feb 29, 2012

I must be crazy.

I've been battling Yomi for hours now and the lineline is still about 50% for this infernal critter.

I may try to play all day...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
251 posts

Feb 29, 2012

After about four hours I failed...

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2062 posts

Mar 1, 2012

You must not be using poison, because four hours of that would of killed it 3.5 hours ago...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 23 (71 Views)
0 Likes