Oct 06 2009
By: mistermom7 Hekseville Citizen 377 posts

A Review For FFX (NOT an MVP review, please respond)

7 replies 23 views Edited Oct 6, 2009

This is what I wrote over the summer about FFX.  I'm a budding reviewer, so please tell me what you think!

Final Fantasy X Review

After my first day with Final Fantasy X (which I spent about 6 hours on), I could tell it was my favorite of the series. After I was about half-way done, I could tell it was my favorite game of the RPG genre. Now that I have completed it (well, technically I'm stuck on the last level, but close enough), I honestly have no problem saying this is absolutely the best game I have EVER played. Better than Pokemon, Kingdom Hearts, and even Zelda, this is a fantastic example of what a game is supposed to do.

Gameplay 10/10

The gameplay is where FFX truly shines. It's a game that gives you a lot of options and freedom, particually in battle. After all, since in any RPG you play you're going to spend half the time in battle, this is very important. This is the first game since Final Fantasy III to have a turn-based battle system, just much more strategic. This is partially due to the fact that you can see the turn order, allowing you to plan carefully on how you're going to move. Another great element is the large variety of moves at your disposal. You have everything from normal attacks to engulfing an enemy in fire to increasing your party's speed to lowering enemy's status to summoning massive beasts to aid you - in other words, a LOT of variety.

Battles work like this - you have three characters out at a time while fighting up to four enemies. Whenever it's your character's turn, they can perform an action or with a tap of the L1 button switch to one of your 7 characters with no cost at all. You'll want to take advantage of this to make sure everyone gets in a turn, because if they don't, they won't get any AP at the end (more on that later). Another cool option is the ability to have Yuna summon a creature to fight for you. While in other Final Fantasy games summons were just powerful spells, in this game they take the place of your party to attack and take damage for you. You can even choose to raise their attributes and give them new abilities if you choose.

The Sphere Grid is how your characters get stronger. Instead of gaining Exp. Points to raise their levels and get more status in everything, you gain the afore-mentioned AP to move around this giant board game type thing. Each node on this grid raises a particular stats., such as 200 more HP or 4 more Strength. What's nice about this is that after literally every two or three battles your characters will have enough AP to move one more space. As a result, you're constantly getting stronger instead of waiting for like 30 min. just to gain one Level Up like in other games. There are also points where you can use Key Spheres to go into other character's area on the grid. As a result, you can eventually have everyone get good at everything after activating every single node, although this would take dozens of hours to do. Some nodes also teach new ablities, such as spells, so everyone can learn all the spells eventually. Finally, there are empty nodes which you can fill with yellow spheres to create new nodes better than the norm (for example, 300 more HP instead of 200).

Story/World 10/10

No story has ever enthralled me nearly as well as FFX's did. It starts out with Tidus, who is the star player of a Blitzball team, get his city destroyed by something called "Sin" and wake up in a place called Spira. Here he is told that Zanarkand (the name of his city) was destroyed 1000 years ago. Convinced that is NOT his Zanarkand, he sets out with his new friend Wakka, A Goth girl named Lulu, the summoner Yuna, the blue Ronso Kimahri, a buff warrior named Auron, and an Al Bhed named Rikku. All of the characters have unique personalities and backstories that further adds to the (particually late in the game) complex plot. I won't go into much detail so you can experience the plot for yourself, but this is a great story that anyone should enjoy (and no, it is not just a love story).

Graphics 9/10

The game stacks up amazingly well compared to today's games, especially considering it's over 7 years old. There is also over an hour's worth of amazing CGI sequences that look amazing. My only problem is that every now and then there is some noticiable slowdown in the frame rate, but overall the game looks almost as well as it plays.

Sound 10/10

The music here offers a large variety of excellent tunes. From the game's beautiful opening piano piece to the heavy rock song in the first CGI sequence, the game sounds fantastic. The sound effects are also nice and meaty.

Value 10/10

It would be a crime to not mention that in addition to the 50 hours it takes to beat the game, there's enough content in this game to get that number into the hundreds. All of that can be yours for only $13. In short, the best bargain EVER.

Overall 10/10

While if I was to get really, really nitpicky, like complaining that there is some slowdown and and every now and then the game feels a tad bit repetitive, denying this masterpiece a 10 is like denying a starving puppy food. While this game costs 13 bucks now, I would have been completely satisfied if I paid $50 plus the money it costs to buy a PS2. It really is a crime to not have this game in your collection. I don't know what else to say to convince you to buy this game. While I do realize that I am more than 7 years late to the party, it was worth it. The worst part of the game is when you are forced to turn off your PS2 and disconnect yourself from the wonderful world of Spira.

------------------------------
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy Tactics, Wild ARMs, Suikoden.
Just Completed: Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days.
Still Waiting For: LBP on PSP, Lost Frontier for PSP.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!! It will only make them gassy.
Message 1 of 8 (23 Views)
Survivor
2568 posts

Re: A Review For FFX (NOT an MVP review, please respond)

Oct 6, 2009
couldntve said it better myself.  i really love this game.
Message 2 of 8 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
377 posts

Oct 6, 2009
I should mention that I wrote this about a week before I beat the game, so please disregard that one line about being stuck on the last level.  The ending was surprisingly emotional, IMO.  'Tis truly one heck of a game; for 13 bucks I got 58 hours to beat it (I think) and another 10 afterwards.  As my friend said about Chrono Trigger, it "reeks of awesomeness!!!"

Message 3 of 8 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5269 posts

Oct 6, 2009
10/10 seems a bit overrated to me. :smileytongue:
Message 4 of 8 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5470 posts

Oct 6, 2009

Final Fantasy X was really a fun game indeed! I was amazed by it. It did a ton of stuff that other Final Fantasy games did not do.

Like the leveling up system, you had to use the Sphere Grid. It was also fun to use because you have all your party members on this gigantic grid map for spheres to raise your stats and learn new abilities and magic.

One of the BEST RPG games I have played in my life. Lets see if XIII will be as fun.

Nice thread by the way.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac202/Cenix13xpe/Smallerlogo.png

deviantART gallery | Twitter

PSN: Cenix13xpe

Message 5 of 8 (23 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1174 posts

Oct 6, 2009

Welcome to the family mistermom! lol.

FFX is the greatest game I have played. Linear? Yes, but ooooh so amazing. Everything is amazing about the game from the music, to the story to the graphics.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 8 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
377 posts

Oct 7, 2009

Wow, I get off for an hour to do my homework, come back on and I've gotten a Kudos and a bunch of positive comments!  Thanks to all of you so much - it means a lot to be recognized instead of being called a nerd :smileytongue: .

As to the guy who said I overrated it, might I point out that in my opinion 10 doesn't mean perfect; it just means I extremely recommend the game.  I only give 10's to games very rarely (in fact, this and Chrono Trigger are the only 2 I can think of), so I'm just saying that it's an awesome game.

If you all want, I can write more reviews.  The rest I've written were for games on Nintendo platforms, so I can't post them here.  Wait - I've got a Battlefront II review saved on here.  I'll go post it now under the Star Wars Battlefront series forum.

To see the reviews I've written for Nintendo platforms, go to www.thesummerblog.zoomshare.com, go to Blog, Older Entries, and the Review Blog.  Anything written by mistermom7 is mine.

Message 7 of 8 (23 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
757 posts

Oct 9, 2009
well its better late than neverr ive got to agree withyou on the 10/10 i myself have put about 180 hours into this and still dont hae everything stupid lulu with her lightnng bolts ill never get her best weapon but other than that yep ive got pretty much everything watch them rerelease this for the ps3 then watch me actually get everything anyway as for the final boss **possible spoiler here lol** i one shotted every form and every aeon or what ever once you put so much time in this its too easy i mean auron wakka tidus through most of each others grids and the game is like simple equip aurons masamune give him the slayer ability and use tornado and itll finish off pretty much anything in a single blow except  if there was 3 or more things killed he gets put back into overdrive and repeat auron is insane the only real thing my normal party need is break hp limit also this is a very good review kudos for you man way to go
Message Edited by redflamescrest on 10-09-2009 08:07 AM
"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow!"- Auron
Message 8 of 8 (23 Views)
0 Likes