Feb 02 2012
By: Weidleface PlayStation MVP 7886 posts

The "I Got Soul Calibur V!" + Impressions Thread

19 replies 76 views Edited Feb 2, 2012

So, I've gotten to sink my teeth into the game a bit (I've logged just over 6 hrs.), and at the very least I can say that this is a drastic improvement on IV. Everything feels much more fleshed out rather than a fragile shell of what could have been. The Story mode is alright, but there are so many questions left and virtually nothing is explained outside of Patroklos/Pyrrah. If you're going to introduce new characters, at least include them more in the story.

Speaking of new characters, I HATE Viola. HATE, HATE, HATE! She feels to me like one of the most broken characters I can recall in the series. That stupid orb of hers can attack you from anywhere, even when you're guarding. Maybe She's just my kryptonite, but this is ridiculous. Other characters remain largely the same. They killed my Lizardman, and completely removed Mina, so I think Namco is just trying to infuriate me. The trophies are decent challenges, but I personally am not a fan of games with online-based trophies. Yeah, it's 2012, but that's potenially screwing an entire group of folks out of a Plat.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
Message 1 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
683 posts

Re: The "I Got Soul Calibur V!" + Impressions Thread

Feb 2, 2012

My biggest complaint about soulcalibur is the unrealistic amount of boob jiggle.

http://slagzombie.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/tourettes-guy-01.jpg
Message 2 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Feb 2, 2012

I thought that you men loved the bouncing of boobs.

Message 3 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Feb 5, 2012

I agree, I think the fighting is a big improvement over IV. I miss some of the styles from IV, but the character creation is a big improvement. I haven't even tried the story mode yet, it doesn't seem all that apealling anyways. But the online and offline fighting is great and a ton of fun.

Message 4 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Feb 6, 2012

stickmen1 wrote:

My biggest complaint about soulcalibur is the unrealistic amount of boob jiggle.

Obviously you've never played the DoA series. 

As far as this SCV goes  I consider it a transitional game, it's probably the closest they'll come to doing a reboot without actually doing a reboot.  The multiplayer/online is the strongest part of the game while the single player is the weakest.  The smart play for Namco would be to bring back the old characters as DLC,  where they would be allowed for competative play but not be in the story (for those who care about that for fighters) per se.  So long as the powers that be didn't charge an arm & leg per character I'd definitely get it.  Pyrra is an OK substitue for Cassy,  but not the same & Talims style was unique (even if they did nerf her in SCIV). 

Message 5 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7886 posts

Feb 6, 2012

Randzz01 wrote:

As far as this SCV goes  I consider it a transitional game, it's probably the closest they'll come to doing a reboot without actually doing a reboot.  The multiplayer/online is the strongest part of the game while the single player is the weakest.  The smart play for Namco would be to bring back the old characters as DLC,  where they would be allowed for competative play but not be in the story (for those who care about that for fighters) per se.  So long as the powers that be didn't charge an arm & leg per character I'd definitely get it.  Pyrra is an OK substitue for Cassy,  but not the same & Talims style was unique (even if they did nerf her in SCIV). 

I'd love to see older characters included as DLC. I need my Seong Mina back. I'd also love to see them release a steady stream of guest characters as DLC. They completely abandoned SCIV after they shelled out a handfull of CAS packages along with Vader/Yoda. Here's hoping they take advantage of PSN and get some fun guest characters with original movesets out for us soon.

Photobucket
Currently Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
Message 6 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Feb 10, 2012

My thoughts?  I hate this freaking game.  I'm sorry I waisted my money on it.  I bought the game because of it's indepth character creation, but the fighting mechanics are garbage.  When my characters block, they take the same amount of damage as when they don't block.  So I have to assume that only the CPU can block without taking damage.  And the CPU won't take damage during a combo.  The CPU's combos can't be interupted either.  Only my character recieves damage during all blocking and only my combos can be interupted (and they almost always do).  And any game that that lets an opponent attack you from start to finish and you can't block, evade or counter even once is just garbage.  It might as well be a 20 hit combo. Can't block, roll, evade or anything.  Just get thrown around like a rag doll game after game after game.  I can't tell you how many "Perfect's" the CPU has against me.  I can't even throw up my arms to defend myself. 

And some characters have swords the size of a freaking skyscraper.  Noone should have a sword that big.  That's just rediculous.  Two hits and your dead.  And you just play like that for hours after hours.  You can play for 20 hours straight and not get a single win.  How fun is that? 

Also, the game doesn't seem to register your matches correctly.  It seems like only half of my online matches show up on my liscense. Early on I had played a dozen or so matches and my liscense said I had only played a couple. 

EDIT:  I know I've played more matches, but my online record right now shows 9 - 49.  So yeah, how am I supposed to like this stupid game.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 7 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7886 posts

Feb 10, 2012

Punfisher wrote:

Just out of curiosity, is this the first SC game you've played?

Photobucket
Message 8 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Feb 10, 2012

Yes. This is my first Soul Caliber game and I'm far from impressed.  I also think it's stupid to have A, B, and K commands on a PS3.  There are no freaking A, B or K buttons. 

I'm sick and tired of being tossed in the air on the first hit and K.O.'d before I hit the ground.  Or knocked down and you can't roll away or get up and you get K.O.'d in 5 seconds.  I've been doing that for 30 hours!!!  All day long people tell me I just need to block!  Block?  Only the CPU can block. This is definately my worst buy in my video game history and I've been around since Pong.  A game should be fun, not the reason you have to keep buying controllers and replacing the drywall in your living room.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 9 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7886 posts

Feb 11, 2012

Punfisher wrote:

Yes. This is my first Soul Caliber game and I'm far from impressed.  I also think it's stupid to have A, B, and K commands on a PS3.  There are no freaking A, B or K buttons. 

I'm sick and tired of being tossed in the air on the first hit and K.O.'d before I hit the ground.  Or knocked down and you can't roll away or get up and you get K.O.'d in 5 seconds.  I've been doing that for 30 hours!!!  All day long people tell me I just need to block!  Block?  Only the CPU can block. This is definately my worst buy in my video game history and I've been around since Pong.  A game should be fun, not the reason you have to keep buying controllers and replacing the drywall in your living room.

I wish I could help you out, but it's hard without actually seeing you play. I've been a fan of this series for years, and while it can be frustrating The mechanics work perfectly. Fighting games like this are often about very finite windows of time. If you miss a crucial block, you may be caught in a combo that can easily take away half your health.

Some basic advice I'll offer is to remember that there are different levels of attacks. Just pressing X won't guard against attacks on the lower body, so you have to watch out for those. Another thing I see people who are new to the series having trouble with is the concept of the 8-way run. That can be a great tool for avoiding some attacks and landing hits on your opponent.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I completely understand your frustration, especially when it comes to online matches. A bad connection or a mismatch can really make for a crappy time. But some games like this aren't for everyone.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 20 (76 Views)
0 Likes