Jun 11 2006
By: pLAYSTATIONpRODIGY~ First Son 19 posts

TEKKEN VS. SOUL CALIBER

90 replies 615 views Edited Jun 11, 2006
Everybody has know thaat this rivalry has been going sense Tekken took the championship in the 90's but now Soul Caliber has gotten it's revenge. It's to the point that you don't hear when the new Tekken games aree coming out but you do know when the next Soul Caliber game is coming out.
Message 1 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
235 posts

Re: TEKKEN VS. SOUL CALIBER

Jun 11, 2006
soul calibur is better then tekken at every aspect, first the gameplay itself as i mentioned many times tekken is broken , just memorize the combos and you cant do anything else, you attack the opponent blocks, the opponent attacks you block its a tango dance, a slow tango dance the game is slow,the whole idea in tekken is who gona do the long combo first or the juggle, you gave the first blow that's it you won because you can bounce him in a juggle all day long and when he lands you still can hit him to the end, i am sorry i don't see any strategic gameplay in tekken it doesn't allow you to put some in, it says look man here are the combos and strings from the command list now do them , in soul calibur the things are different first of all you can move like in a 3d game, the side step is great ,in tekken the side step is random sometimes you just jump or duck, in soul calibur its smooth and easy , you can also roll a side so the opponent cant hit you 10000 times while you just try to get up like in tekken ,yes in soul calibur you got command list sure but you don't have to do things like in the comandlist now this is where the game really shows strategy, you don't have 10 hit strings that you just press and that's it no its not lazy,you gotta come with a whole strategy, you got moves now combine them, that's the reason why i alwaysss find  new ways to play the game new things, i can make my character play in a whole new way every time i add something else and make other style, other way,so my opponent never knows how am i going to fight, something you will never find in tekken,and you don't have walls that you can beat your opponent into and win for sure like in tekken, in tekken when i put my opponent against the wall(after a long long long juggle... ye you didn't expect that did you?)in soul calibur you got ring outs, so its not just facing your opponent but you need also to consider the ring out and make sure you don't fall, also you can use the ring out in a strategy it adds so much variety to the game, in soul calibur you fill like you play a 3d fighter you can walk go around the arena and fill that you really in a 3d fighter.

the moves in soul calibur are an eye candy, the gameplay is fast and smooth you really can fill the flow, i really liked the guard impact i always enjoy that you can defend , side step, or just defend with an attack,in tekken as i mentioned already the characters don't move clean they look like some action figures that someone's moving, so overall i will say with no question soul calibur is better, you may like tekken better but it doesn't change the fact that soul calibur is better at everything, including small things such as graphics, the only thing tekken may have over soul calibur is the storyline but between us..... who play a fighting game for the story? The difference between soul calibur and tekken is that tekken is more lazy don't want to offend anyone you just need to launch him into a juggle and then finish him off, you already got everything you need from the beginning just learn that and that's it, the game is walking you thru you don't need to make effort's and i know i gave it a good chance and i just knew what my opponents gona do because what they do is based only on the command list, you know the command list you know the best moves you know what everybody gona do, to play tekken is like deja vu they always play the same so you know what's he gona do to you and you know how to block, and the game is slow so that allows you to block better, in soul calibur you don't know how the opponent going to play, you cant just do a long combo and beat him, cant launch him and beat him while he is on the floor cant get up, in tekken its more lazy you don't really have to go deep into strategies in soul calibur you must

so you already know my answer, soul calibur for me , i will give tekken 6 a chance maybe it will surprise me .

Message 2 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
294 posts

Jun 11, 2006
They are way too different to even compare.

Nobody compared Soul Blade with Tekken before.This Soul Calibur vs Tekken thing has started when Soul Calibur was released on the DC, and some saw it as the perfect chance to start bashing Tekken since it was a franchise known for its popularity on the Playstation.

There is no point comparing.

Its like comparing Wipeout to WRC, or Burnout to Gran Turismo.

There is no relation.

They are both great on their own terms.

SC is all about mastering and dodging horizontal and vertical attacks, as well as exploiting the timing as best as possible to brake/counter someone's attack.

Tekken is all about mastering the juggling combos,  using perfect timing to counter someone's attack or  throw, learning the opponent's weaknesses of his attacks, and finding the best moves to use when the opponent is on a wall to maximize damage.

A best comparisson would have been VF vs Tekken

Message 3 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
705 posts

Jun 12, 2006

,Apocalypse2012 wrote:
They are way too different to even compare.

Nobody compared Soul Blade with Tekken before.This Soul Calibur vs Tekken thing has started when Soul Calibur was released on the DC, and some saw it as the perfect chance to start bashing Tekken since it was a franchise known for its popularity on the Playstation.

There is no point comparing.

Its like comparing Wipeout to WRC, or Burnout to Gran Turismo.

There is no relation.

They are both great on their own terms.

SC is all about mastering and dodging horizontal and vertical attacks, as well as exploiting the timing as best as possible to brake/counter someone's attack.

Tekken is all about mastering the juggling combos,  using perfect timing to counter someone's attack or  throw, learning the opponent's weaknesses of his attacks, and finding the best moves to use when the opponent is on a wall to maximize damage.

A best comparisson would have been VF vs Tekken

Very well said. And I agree totally.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
235 posts

Jun 12, 2006
Maybe they are different but lets go with your formula for a second..... you say that tekken can be compared to virtua fighter?? what?? virtua fighter is a fighting simulation it has a whole different gameplay and it got nothing to do with juggles and combos, if any game should be compared to virtua fighter by your formula than that's only dead or alive
Message 5 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
294 posts

Jun 12, 2006

raziel_kriberg wrote:
Maybe they are different but lets go with your formula for a second..... you say that tekken can be compared to virtua fighter?? what?? virtua fighter is a fighting simulation it has a whole different gameplay and it got nothing to do with juggles and combos, if any game should be compared to virtua fighter by your formula than that's only dead or alive

I didnt say its the best comparrisson. I said its a better comparisson than Tekken vs SC.

Ahm.....Dead or Alive? No way although they share a few similarities. Its not as deep as SC, VF or Tekken. Btw VF involves lots of jaggling when you master it .
Not as much as Tekken but it has a fair amount of it.
Message 6 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
235 posts

Jun 12, 2006

what i meant is that dead or alive got something in common with virtua fighter the gameplay style got some similar points, dead or alive is not deep as tekken? You tried to find depth in dead or alive? And when i say tried i don't mean like most the players press random buttons and say " howw... i can button mash the game doesn't have any depth " or the horny boys that just look at the female characters and say that the game doesn't have anything besides good looking girls, those two things always distract gamers from finding the depth in the game, virtua fighter got more depth then dead or alive, soul calibur got more depth, but not tekken, tekken doesn't have much depth at all and the reason i wrote above at the beginning of the thread,dead or alive got a lot of depth specially the new one and please people i ask from you one thing, if you haven't yet played dead or alive 4 then don't say that the game doesn't have depth because dead or alive 4 changed a lot of things and brought much better gameplay.

on that note people that will come to the evo 2006 east and to the finals in vegas i would love to play dead or alive 4 with them and that will be my honor to show you the depth that the game got to offer

Message 7 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jun 13, 2006
This is just like the Soul Calibur vs. Virtua Fighter comparison: you can't compare them. They are two different sub-genres: weapon-based and hand-to-hand. Both have their strengths and flaws but you can't say one is better. That's like saying rap is better than rock or vice-versa; they are both intended for certain audiences.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 8 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
294 posts

Jun 13, 2006

raziel_kriberg wrote:

what i meant is that dead or alive got something in common with virtua fighter the gameplay style got some similar points, dead or alive is not deep as tekken? You tried to find depth in dead or alive? And when i say tried i don't mean like most the players press random buttons and say " howw... i can button mash the game doesn't have any depth " or the horny boys that just look at the female characters and say that the game doesn't have anything besides good looking girls, those two things always distract gamers from finding the depth in the game, virtua fighter got more depth then dead or alive, soul calibur got more depth, but not tekken, tekken doesn't have much depth at all and the reason i wrote above at the beginning of the thread,dead or alive got a lot of depth specially the new one and please people i ask from you one thing, if you haven't yet played dead or alive 4 then don't say that the game doesn't have depth because dead or alive 4 changed a lot of things and brought much better gameplay.

on that note people that will come to the evo 2006 east and to the finals in vegas i would love to play dead or alive 4 with them and that will be my honor to show you the depth that the game got to offer

If you believe there is no depth in Tekken then you are the one that should have tried to find depth in it.

I didnt play DOA4 but I playied the previous DOA games.

Claiming that Tekken is just a jaggling combo fest where someone attacks, stops and then the other one attacks until someone performs an uppercut then you havent got into the game or the biggest challenge you ever got was playing against the CPU (or Ghost player Cpu).

Juggling combos in a fight between 2 masters in Tekken is a rare thing because they never give the  chance to. Especially 10-hit strings. Try one with me and you are doomed.

Your previous post gives the impression you spent almost no time with  Tekken.

Message Edited by Apocalypse2012 on 06-13-2006 01:37 PM

Message Edited by Apocalypse2012 on 06-13-2006 01:39 PM

Message 9 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
73 posts

Jun 13, 2006
Soul Caliber is better because of the range of weapons it offers. Tekken is ok I guess.
Message 10 of 91 (615 Views)
0 Likes