Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 19 2012
By: ALMAs666 Hekseville Citizen 439 posts

Is it possible to walk north on the west side of the Mojave?

6 replies 254 views Edited Jan 19, 2012

Let me explain further. Through the average first playthrough, the player will choose to follow the quests and what they  tell the player to do. For instance, you start in Goodsprings and you (eventually) make your way south to the Mojave Outpost, go East and North a bit until you hit Novac, then from there you basically go north doing some random quests until you hit New Vegas.

I just started a new playthrough and instead of following the regular quest line and going North East, I am hoping to go straight up North from Goodsprings. Is it possible to do so? Has anyone done that at level 4? That is what level I am now. I am level 4 with only health of 275.

The reason I ask this is because I tried once. And failed miserably. I got caught up between a few Cazadores and I continued running but they still killed me.

And I know that there are some Deathclaws on the way up there.

I only have a few stimpacks and I do not know if I will make it? Has anyone tried it? Because like I said, I tried but failed.

I basically just want to make one run through to get to the North.

Thanks for any helpful information and/or tips.

"If you think it, the camera will see it" - Wes Craven

"The first monster you have to scare the audience with is yourself"

- Wes Craven

Message 1 of 7 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
439 posts

Re: Is it possible to walk north on the west side of the Mojave?

Jan 19, 2012

Thanks for the reply.

Oh boy do I know about the Cazadores. Like I said, I tried it once and just started running but they overpowered me lol.

And I know about the Deathclaws. Don't even want to think about them. I will try to find that video you are talking about.

Thanks.

- Wes Craven

Message 2 of 7 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3838 posts

Jan 19, 2012

If you head out toward other than South, you better be prepared. Level 4 might be too week.

If you head to North, there are sworms of Cazadores which is pretty difficult to kill even at higher level with a lot of power weapons.

If you head to N/E, there are Giants Scorpions(easier than any other spot. you can climb up the bunker and kill them with everything you got but takes really long time). But even if you can kill all the scorpions and pass that area, either Cazadores or Deathclaws await you if you head to other than Goodspring.

And if you head toward Sloan, it's infested with Deathclaws which is hardest to pass through at any levels.

So my advice is just go toward South and build your character first and collect a lot of stimpacks and other aid.

But there is always an exception. Someone posted on how to get to Vegas strip at level 1. Was trying to put the link to that post but couldn't find it.

Message 3 of 7 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3838 posts

Jan 19, 2012

Yep, those Cazadores are just annoying bunch. It's not that they are that powerful, it's just really annoying to kill those. They move like they are transporting. I see them miles away so I think I can snipe them one by one but when I blink, they are right in front of my face w/ that poisonous sting and that annoying sound. Or even from far away, they fly zigzag so fast, can't even hit them. Best ways to kill them are either flame thrower or long melee weapons.

And Deathclaws, forget about it. They are more powerful than Fallout 3.

Message 4 of 7 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4917 posts

Jan 20, 2012

Oh yes, it is possible, but requires a bit of stealth. As the crow flies, NV is a short little jaunt up the I-15. But it is also Deathclaw territory. The best way to avoid them is to head northeast out of Sloan, while sneaking. Head that way, slowly, to avoid the first two deathclaws until you reach Neil's shack at the base of Black Mountain.

Then turn north. Take the high ground (which runs parallel to the highway, still sneaking. You will likely be spotted by a Deathclaw at this point, but he won't be able to reach you. Wait as he runs around like a moron until he loses sight of you. then keep going north until Black Mountain slopes around to the east. Stay on the high ground and continue sneaking.

Another deathclaw will find you here. Do the same thing as before. Keep going until you spot the Repconn HQ out in the distance. At that point you can hop down and head right for it. Jump on the 188 and it's smooth sailing right up to the gates of NV.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad47/taker-77/749px-New_Vegas_Map_4-1.jpg

Message 5 of 7 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Jan 21, 2012

It would help if you can get an automatic weapon with a decent amount of ammo.  There is a 9mm submachinegun in Doc's house, but you have to have the repair skill to fix it.  You could probably buy ammo from Chet. 

I'd take the road up north then turn left at your first chance.  This will take you to Tribal Village.  You will have to fight Cazadores here but I think the same amount as you would if you followed the road.  However, if you kill them all (just save right before and you can try over and over)  there are 10mm smgs and Fire Axes which are good weapons that will help you along the rest of the way.  From there go north through the pass towards Spring Mt. State Park to Chance's Map and then head east sneaking through Fiend territory if necessary.  Shouldn't be too many difficult enemies once you get through the Cazadores.

Message 6 of 7 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
439 posts

Jan 22, 2012

taker-77 wrote:

Oh yes, it is possible, but requires a bit of stealth. As the crow flies, NV is a short little jaunt up the I-15. But it is also Deathclaw territory. The best way to avoid them is to head northeast out of Sloan, while sneaking. Head that way, slowly, to avoid the first two deathclaws until you reach Neil's shack at the base of Black Mountain.

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad47/taker-77/749px-New_Vegas_Map_4-1.jpg

Photobucket

Thanks for the map ha. I actually did reach Neil's shack... But I didn't know where to go from there without passing the Deathclaws. And the worst part ( for this situation ) is that I am a Melee weapon/ unarmed "skiller" so using a gun would not be my best bet

I made it though... thanks.

- Wes Craven

Message 7 of 7 (254 Views)
0 Likes