the freezing used to be alot worse, when I first rented the game, I bet I was having to reset my PS3 atleast once every 3 hours, it was bad,but I noticed with the latest patch, the freezez still happen,but they are fewer and farer between, now most of the time it only freezes when my save file gets above about 5500 to 6500mb,and still its rare,it made a huge difference IMO
although now sometimes the game will get real slow and act like its trying to freeze,but it doesnt,and loading screens take longer than you think,and will leave you sitting there wondering if its froze or just taking longer to load for some reason(I usually give it 1 1/2 to 2 minutes before resetting)
I take the freezing with a grain of salt, it can be aggrivating sometimes(epecially if you dont save often),but Fallout is the most detailed and entricate,and also the biggest free-roaming game on the console, Fallout was originally designed for very powerful PC's,so I will accept a few freezes and glitches here and there to be able to play it on my PS3
even with the freezez,I still consider Fallout:New Vegas to be one of the most addictive and fun games ever made!!!!!
Okay, let me start by saying that I laughed so hard at the title of this thread.
The Fallout curse strikes again.
Now then, as to the freezing. Both FO3 and NV have the potential for horrible freezing issues. This potential grows as your save file gets larger. Sometimes there is no cure, but other times you can get lucky.
Here's some things to try:
1. Delete your NV game data (NOT SAVED DATA) from the Game Data Utility folder. You will need to redownload the latest update afterwards. Then restart the game. The new game data will be installed automatically during your first loading screen. This is the best fix for all issues Fallout related. It doesn't alway work, but it is a godsent most of the time.
2. Do not always overwrite the same save file. From time to time save a new slot and then delete the old save.
3. When loading your save file from the menu, do not use Continue. Load it manually.
4. Don't listen to your Pip-Boy Radio
5. Turn off Autosave. This requires you to have the presence of mind to manually save often.
Those are the best tricks that I have learned when dealling with freezing. No guarantees, but it's something to try.
Fallout New Vegas freezes on me every 20 minutes it starts with legging until it finally locks up my system after least 20 minutes almost guaranteed can't progress through the game any further because of this problem.
What version do you have?
This is a known issue if you have any DLC or the Ultimate edition. The base game with no DLC installed would always perform great for me.