Oct 14 2011
By: Subaru1324 Sackboy 471 posts

Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas?

4 replies 69 views Edited Oct 14, 2011

First I should say I played the PC version first.. I got maybe like midway and I just got overwhlemed with all the side missions and quests I had to take like a 2 month break lol..

Should I jump to NV or should I just go back to playing FO3? but this time the PS3 version?

I was reading and I hear New Vegas has a bit of bugs in it as well?

Subaru1324 Trophy Card
Message 1 of 5 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Re: Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas?

Oct 14, 2011

Fair warning on Fallout 3 (F3), the GoTY version for this system I heard is really buggy (Check out Amazon & Gamestops player reviews). I've got both games, F3 for the "other" system & FNV for this one.  F3 has the better story, although I've heard from many fallout purists that it's just a rehash of Fallout 2s.  I prefer FNV because my thing is making things, I just wish the powers that be had expanded on that concept (but you can make way more then in F3).  If you get FNV save often & have more then 1 save; the bugs/glitches don't appear to crop up until your savefile is over a certain size, usually around 6 to 8 MB.  Unlike F3 you can't continue after you've finished the main story.  I consider FNV Fallout 3.5 since the changes are few.  If you get all the DLC the level cap is 50. 

Hope I didn't ramble too much. 

Message 2 of 5 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Oct 14, 2011

I would finish Fallout 3 first.  But I don't like leaving a game unfinished unless I am really stuck.  New Vegas is really fun but it is pretty much the same as Fallout 3, so you'll likely just end up getting overwhelmed and taking a break again.  I think it would be better to finish what you started.  But get New Vegas eventually, if you really like 3.

The bugs problems seem to differ from person to person.  So you could get lucky like me or it could become unplayable like for some people.  New Vegas froze pretty frequently for me until they released that massive patch a few months back.  Since then I had it freeze once after at least 15 hours of playing.  The 2 add-ons I have haven't given me any real problems either.  So just make sure you download any patches.  Should make your game run smoother, but not necessarily smooth.

Message 3 of 5 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Oct 14, 2011

Definitely Fallout 3 first. It is easy to make the jump from FO3 to NV, but going from NV to FO3 would be tough, I think.

BTW, is playing them on a PC off the table? Because the PC versions are vastly superior to the PS3 versions. Mods are so freaking awesome.

Message 4 of 5 (69 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
471 posts

Oct 14, 2011

Well the reason I took it off the pc is I needed the space and my video card (4870) the fan died and I need to send it to XFX for a replacement fan.

I know the PC version is better and I did enjoy it but I hope the bugs are not as bad as the PC version I saw a tiny bit but it was still playable..

I did pick up from gamestop FO3 and Rainbow Six: Vegas lol Not because it had Vegas in the title

Subaru1324 Trophy Card
Message 5 of 5 (69 Views)
0 Likes