Mar 13 2012
By: Dark_arc I Only Post Everything 1136 posts
Accepted Solution

Does the fatty play New Vegas better than the slim?

8 replies 108 views Edited Mar 13, 2012

I ask this because my current playthrough of new vegas has become far more irritating than the last. My last playthrough was with a fatty. Relatively little lag and speed based gliching, and might have frozen twice. My current playthrough is with a slim, couldn't be more than a few weeks old, but it is extremely noticable. I have to restart the game, on average, twice a day. But the real problem is the lag, most areas I go to (mainly freeside) frequently slow down, I mean 2 fps slow down. Places like the 188 trading posts can be spotty, but more areas than not have this problem. I have the 4 story-based dlc packs installed, but these problems happened before I got the dlc. Is this just me, or have others had different experiences on different systems like me?

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Message 1 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Re: Does the fatty play New Vegas better than the slim?

Mar 13, 2012

Turn off the autosave for starters. New Vegas was one of the buggiest games I have ever played. I forget which area but it was on the far eastern side of the map and the frame rate always took a crap when I went there. Might have been freeside?

Message 2 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Mar 13, 2012

Thanks for the tip on autosave. I was concerned with this framerate issue, as this didn't happen on my fatty even with the autosave on.

Message 3 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Mar 13, 2012

I remember Freeside now and maybe I had a few framerate hiccups but nothing major. Most likely tied to some quest........trying finishing any open quest you have in Freeside and see if that fixes anything.

Message 4 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Mar 14, 2012

That was something else that got me, very few quests and none of them being in freeside. The only quests I had open were 1 NCR quest, the first mission for Old World Blues, and the first mission for Lonesome road.

Message 5 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Mar 14, 2012

Another thing to try, especially if it played well on your fatty, is to delete the game data. Could be an problem occured when it first installed.

But yeah, NV is a mess on the consoles, but there shouldn't be any real different, performance wise, between a fatty and a slim.

Message 6 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Mar 14, 2012

I deleted the game data, but it didn't really fix it. I will try it again, however. I have heard that if you delete your game data, load a game up, pull up your pip-boy, and then pause it, it will install more thoroughly. Do you know anything about that?

Message 7 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4918 posts

Mar 14, 2012

I can't say that I do, but it really couldn't hurt to assume it's correct. 

Message 8 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Mar 18, 2012

Deleted my game data again last night, it played fine for the most part until I got to thr Repcon test site. It dropped to 2 fps again, only in that area. I left it for a while and then came back, but when I got back, the game kept loading (it didn't freeze, the roulette wheel on the screen kept spinning), but it was never loaded up.

Message 9 of 9 (108 Views)
0 Likes