Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 17 2009
By: Liquidus_Ocelot Survivor 2864 posts

Attn: Canadians! Why Your Old Saves Don't Work With GOTY Edition:

21 replies 15 views Edited Oct 17, 2009

If you're like me and bought the GOTY Edition in hopes of using your old Fallout 3 saves then you know it doesn't work. Before you start breaking discs you should check the catalog number located on your original Fallout 3 game and the GOTY Edition.

It turns out that Bethesda shipped two different region coded Fallout versions to the Canadian market thus the GOTY is not compatible with it because:

a) Bethesda originally shipped the original Fallout 3 game which was US region coded and then shipped a Canadian region coded GOTY Edition. Thus saves are incompatible.

or

b) Bethesda originally shipped the original Fallout 3 game which was Canadian region coded and then shipped a US region coded GOTY Edition. Thus saves are incompatible.

So unless you have both US or Canadian version SKUs your old Fallout 3 saves will not work... unless Bethesda acknowledges the issue and patches it (which I doubt). You could always say meh "my 200+ hour saves are important and I'll just start another new game save"... that is not a reasonable answer thus I advise every Canadian affected by this issue to:

1. Email the Bethesda Support here

2. Report your problems on the official Bethesda Fallout 3/PS3 forums found here

3. Pray?

By the way the SKUs that I have that don't work are:

Fallout 3: Collectors Edition BLUS- 30185 (Note that the sleeve on the lunchbox tin lists BLUS- 30216)
Fallout 3: Game of The Year Edition BLUS- 30455

Both of these games were purchased from the same EB Games Canada store and both were purchased new. 
Message Edited by Liquidus_Ocelot on 10-17-2009 12:48 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 22 (15 Views)
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Re: Attn: Canadians! Why Your Old Saves Don't Work With GOTY Edition:

Oct 14, 2009

lol, just posted the same thread (though this one is way more informative).

any idea what the american and canadian SKUs are (for both versions)? 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 22 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
249 posts

Oct 14, 2009

KUDOS!

I've been wondering why my saves won't work.. never thought of region coding.

Had to toss out 70+ hours of gaming and start fresh.

My SKUS are totally different from yours but still don't work together.. 

I'll be emailing Bethesda right away..

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 22 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2864 posts

Oct 14, 2009

I know that there is one Canadian version that doesn't even update to the newest update (1.61). That catalog number BLUS- 30284.

So far my Collectors Edition has two catalog numbers. The lunchbox sleeve lists BLUS- 30216 while the game inside lists BLUS- 30185. My GOTY Edition is BLUS- 30455.

I have no idea how Bethesda managed to pull this off. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 22 (15 Views)
0 Likes
VxF
Uncharted Territory
1891 posts

Oct 14, 2009

You Canadians should just join the USA, so you don't have to deal with this crap. In Europe, we thought you became american a long time ago...

What's free healthcare and education for the privilege of playing a working GOTY version of FO3?

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 22 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2864 posts

Oct 14, 2009
Yeah all we can do is wait and see if Bethesda acknowledges the issues.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 22 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4175 posts

Oct 14, 2009

Liquidus_Ocelot wrote:

I know that there is one Canadian version that doesn't even update to the newest update (1.61). That catalog number BLUS- 30284.

So far my Collectors Edition has two catalog numbers. The lunchbox sleeve lists BLUS- 30216 while the game inside lists BLUS- 30185. My GOTY Edition is BLUS- 30455.

I have no idea how Bethesda managed to pull this off. 

i have 30185 (purchased at futureshop in june or july - i can't remember).  
i guess i'm going to hold off on trading it in for the goty edition until they fix this problem.    

Message Edited by ziggurcat on 10-13-2009 07:27 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 22 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
918 posts

Oct 14, 2009

I was wondering what the hell was going on when I fired it up 10 minutes ago.

But whatever, I traded my old Fallout in about 4 months ago just to get the cash back and wait on this GOTY. I'll play the entire thing over again, it's worth it. Hell, I'll probably play it 3 times over or more long run.

Best game ever. In fact, I'm almost happy I'm forced to play it from the start. I've been missing it. 

Time to fire up something to eat and just forget about classes tomorrow, I'm taking this thing deep into the mid hours. 

Message Edited by RaoulDuke88 on 10-13-2009 09:00 PM
raoulduke88
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 22 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5592 posts

Oct 14, 2009
I'm sorry but this is funny to me... It seems like Bethesda found yetne last way to stick it to the consumers LoL..Glad I downloaded said DLC.. While playing through it again is not all that big of a deal..The line has to be drawn on what's acceptable busniess decisions...... It's likewhen people wanted trophies for MGS4.. I had already gone through and beat Big boss extreme mode with the Big boss rank..If there had been a trophie for that accomplishment that wasn['t retroactive..No way would I even try to accomplish that feat again...
Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 22 (15 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
918 posts

Oct 14, 2009
As soon as you exit the Vault on a new game all the DLC is unlocked and you don't have to play the entire game just to go there. Sure you're back at Level 2 by that point but whatever.
raoulduke88
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 22 (15 Views)
0 Likes