Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Early adopter of SONY tech, now they shut down the servers on us.

Jul 3, 2010
There must be a relatively niche market for EOJ, at this point.

Where can you even buy the extra cards, I haven't seen them for years...
Message 21 of 39 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2289 posts

Jul 3, 2010

I got this game when it first came out.. I would like to bring to your attention like many others have the EULA tells everyone who plays the game, they have the right to pull the plug whenever they feel like it. Now is the tiem they feel like it; if there is a low market for games and also a low population, they will do so.

I think they are also trying to migrate a majority of consumers over to higher end technology at the same time. I'm sure there will be a similar game be released soon after the release of PS Move.

**CRUNKRIS wrote:
That OP was EPIC. I especially liked the Mahatma Ghandi and Winston Churchill quotes. The Biblical references were also nice.
Message 22 of 39 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
246 posts

Jul 3, 2010

stargiss wrote:
OH...I get it! It's a cool way to say Eye Of Judgement. I have to start learning how to get in with the young, hip and cool crowd and start abbreviating everything. Typing whole words is really just so annoying.

Rather random. Considering the game had been spelled out already in the thread. In technical writings its very common to only spell the entire thing the first time a new term is encountered, afterwards its often referred to using its acronym. Its more common to see PS3 , as opposed to PlayStation 3. etc...  I personally like sarcasm but sometimes its not quite warranted. Maybe I should try it more often to get along with the old, cranky and self-righteous crowd.

Anyway , I've never heard of this game before but I understand the OPs' concern. I feel for ya.

Realistically though , you have to expect that it will be shut down at some point. I know what your saying about not closing them down on the brink of launching similar things, but it had to end sometime.

I personally would look at buying any online only game as an extended rental. Since it could have its plug pulled at any time. Pretty much the main reason I wouldn't buy a game like that unless I was willing to write off my initial investment as an entertainment cost rather than a purchase.

I admit,  I know nothing of the game , so if its not an online only game at least you still retain some value for your dollar.

Message 23 of 39 (378 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1362 posts

Jul 3, 2010

DevilsTestament wrote:

Hell they still support the PS2? So why not EOJ I think there goes Sony screwing the consumer again. OnLive is the Future!

the only thing I'm worried about with onlive is this:

sure, you dont need a high end PC to play high end games, but even with the top internet browser, the fact still remains: the higher specs the game has the more bandwith is required.

So if you play, say, Grand Theft Auto IV on all high settings, that would take A LOT of bandwith, something that I don't think even the most expensive and fastest internet browsers would be able to handle.

Message 24 of 39 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Jul 3, 2010

I think it's incredible that they only shut the servers down now. 3 years?! That's UNHEARD OF!!!

I'm sorry. I know you spent a lot on that game, but I can't agree. 3 years is a long time to maintain servers for a game. I typically see 18 months as the average (outside of MMOs of course). And even MMOs that start to suffer in player count shut down eventually. Sorry, but that's just how online gaming works. You will not be able to find many to support your cause. If support is going down for EoJ, it's because there is barely anyone playing anymore. They already have those statistics. So even if you got EVERYONE who currently plays to support your cause, it still would not make Sony budge in it's decision.

Sorry, I know this is not what you want to hear, but it's the unfortunate truth.

Message 25 of 39 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
523 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Just so you all know, SONY will probably stop supporting the Move controller and 3D stuff too in a couple years at the most.   Or at least that what I should expect from all your comments.  It sounds like that is the normal thing to do right?  good to know.

Message 26 of 39 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
246 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Well there is a slight difference between a game who's user base is dwindling , and a new controller system and 3D imaging.

But sony will just abandon what ever they feel like when they feel like it. Sometimes its understandable , and sometimes its just dirty.

And everyone's reaction to it will depend on if they are directly affected , and to what extent.

Im not saying sony is a good company or anything, but something are all about perspective.  As much as I tend to despise this company anymore, you still have to look at situations objectively. It sucks but I imagine that they are no longer making money off this , and it is an on going cost to them. Ive seen them do much bigger things to us , over less tangible losses. 

I speak from experience , having been screwed over by jumping in early and buying a launch model

Message 27 of 39 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Jul 3, 2010

stargiss wrote:
BTW...people are still buying the PS2. And they still make it....that's why they still support it. I'm sure that if there was still a market for selling "EOJ" they would continue to support it also.

But there just isn't.

what a hypocrite.... hey stargiss is it really THAT hard to spell out the whole word?

If you're in this thread and had enough time to take out of your day to reply to this post then you would most likely know what EOJ stands for, especially if you read the Original Post (or OP for the "hip young crowd) now of course you read the original post because you seem to have a standing side in this conversation (as in FOR the shut-down of the "EOJ" servers)

Now you seem to just want to start some sort of flame war on this thread, so its probably best if you just stop replying. Its really messing up something good that's happening here. Of course Sony has the right to shut down servers for games at their discretion. But when it's at a time that they're promoting new technologies like the Move and 3D gaming then they should reconsider their decision. 

Of course there are some people out there who don't like things that others out there seem to love so much. For instance Call of Duty. A really big hit. But some people out there could really care less for it. Same goes for Eye of Judgement. There are people out there who could care less for it and others who have already invested so much of their time and money into it just to have it be rendered a useless paper weight so to speak.

HA! That's so funny, I forgot to laugh-excluding the first 'Ha'
Get your Portable ID!
Message 28 of 39 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2289 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Guys, how about we all take a deep breath here, I don't understand how people stir up stuff over small things. Just chill.

**CRUNKRIS wrote:
That OP was EPIC. I especially liked the Mahatma Ghandi and Winston Churchill quotes. The Biblical references were also nice.
Message 29 of 39 (378 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9669 posts

Jul 3, 2010

Cepheis wrote:

No, I don't realistically think that I should get to play online forever.  I do think; however, that now is not the right time to shut it down.

You may think that, but you're not Sony's CEO.  If they feel that there's no reason to spend resources on it, then it's their right to stop.

These factors are why I don't think they should shut them down any time soon.

1. This games costs hundreds of dollars for extra cards, camera, etc not the $60 and your done.  You weren't forced to buy extra cards.  But if you enjoyed the extra cards, then be happy for that.  I bought at least two boxes worth of boosters, but I'm not bitter about it.
  2. The game has been out less than 3 years  So?  If not enough people are playing after launch, then I wouldn't waste my money either.
  3. There are always people online playing.  I can always find a match.  There are tons of community websites with tournaments and support.  That's good, but Sony support will eventually cease.  Enjoy it while it lasts.
  4. SONY markets the PS3 as having a 10 year lifecycle.  They are also trying to sell the Playstation Eye Tech with new controllers and games, but at the same time is convincing us early adopters that we should second guess the life of these technologies.  Again, you are not forced to buy anything that is offered, and you can't predict how long support will last.  That's the risk of being a consumer.  When I buy games and accessories, I enjoy them.  I don't waste my time worrying about the exact time and date it will lose support.  Life is much more enjoyable when you love and appreciate the positives, and not dwell on the negatives.

bobtheenzyteguy Trophy Card

Kudos me, and I'll kudos you.
Message 30 of 39 (378 Views)