Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Oct 25 2007
By: Xeron Sackboy 464 posts

Deck Building Strategies

17 replies 27 views Edited Oct 25, 2007
The only TGC I have ever played were on handhelds. Pokemon card trading game for Game Boy Color and YuGiOh for Game Boy Advanced.

So I have a question...Wouldn't it be better to make a balanced deck of all elemental types instead of 1 or 2 elements.
The game doesn't require a specific "energy" like pokemon does, the mana works with every card.

Lets say you make an All fire deck.
Disadvantages:
1. Weak against water monsters
2. Weak against water on the playing fields
3. Stuck with abilities on cards that are fire based

Advantages:
1. Strong against Water
2. Strong on Fire spots on playing field

But if you have a balanced deck...
Advantages:
1. 1 out of the 5 cards in your hand prob has a strength against the 1st monster your oppenent lays down
2. A few of your monsters could get the field bonus instead of maybe 1 or 2
3. Abilities of any card you choose by not limiting yourself to a single card element
4. You would be able to use more cards from randomly sorted booster decks

Disadvantages:
??? I can't think of any...

I've looked at the fire deck and like a lot of those cards so I believe I will buy that and pull the good cards from it to mix with my starter deck. I'm not going fire based, but I will probably end up having a few more fire cards than other types.

What does everyone else think? It seems like a lot of people are going to base their decks by 1 element.

Message Edited by Xeron on 10-24-2007 07:30 PM

Message Edited by Xeron on 10-24-2007 07:31 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Re: Deck Building Strategies

Oct 25, 2007
I think a mixed deck would be the best way to go, but how many elements you put into your deck would really depend on your play style and your preference (and what you can get your hands on).

Playing a deck of a specific element alone seems to me to have more flaws than advantages. Just like you listed, your deck would be rather weak if your opponent pulled the right cards. Once I get this game I think I'm going to make a 3 element deck and see how it works. I know I will be including Bioliths into my deck because they look rather powerful and they don't get negative modifiers from any fields. By the look of the game, and this is just from reading the manual and seeing many videos including hte 53 minute match, running a deck with all elements would seem too much of a hassle. Some cards help others of the same element, and if you spread your cards across all elements the bonuses will be limited. Yet if you run a nice balance of a few elements, you optimize your strengths, allow yourself to cover your weaknesses, and also allow versatility with bonuses and card placement.

Well that's my opinion.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3704 posts

Oct 25, 2007

Xeron wrote:
The only TGC I have ever played were on handhelds. Pokemon card trading game for Game Boy Color and YuGiOh for Game Boy Advanced.

So I have a question...Wouldn't it be better to make a balanced deck of all elemental types instead of 1 or 2 elements.
The game doesn't require a specific "energy" like pokemon does, the mana works with every card.

Lets say you make an All fire deck.
Disadvantages:
1. Weak against water monsters
2. Weak against water on the playing fields
3. Stuck with abilities on cards that are fire based

Advantages:
1. Strong against Water
2. Strong on Fire spots on playing field
3. Can only concentrate on puting water favourable cards in your deck which could make them deadlier.

But if you have a balanced deck...
Advantages:
1. 1 out of the 5 cards in your hand prob has a strength against the 1st monster your oppenent lays down
2. A few of your monsters could get the field bonus instead of maybe 1 or 2
3. Abilities of any card you choose by not limiting yourself to a single card element
4. You would be able to use more cards from randomly sorted booster decks

Disadvantages:
??? I can't think of any...
Certain Element cards, say for instance water have abilities which give them advantages if other water creatures are in play and having a balanced deck would ruin that ability
The heal card won't do as much as it is element specific per use and chances are you will have a mix of elements on the board

I've looked at the fire deck and like a lot of those cards so I believe I will buy that and pull the good cards from it to mix with my starter deck. I'm not going fire based, but I will probably end up having a few more fire cards than other types.

What does everyone else think? It seems like a lot of people are going to base their decks by 1 element.

Message Edited by Xeron on 10-24-2007 07:30 PM

Message Edited by Xeron on 10-24-2007 07:31 PM

Just a few I can think of.

Message Edited by darkwiz on 10-24-2007 10:39 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

Oct 25, 2007
Ok thats cool, I missed those. Good points.
I would tend to stay away from cards that are dependant on cards of the same element. They can pack a punch ,but not guaranteed all the time.

Based on how I play, I believe a mixed deck will work well for me. I'll need to focus on cards with individual ability, not cards that are good because of other cards on the playing field.

Keep the input coming, I want to know what others think.

Message Edited by Xeron on 10-24-2007 07:51 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
648 posts

Oct 25, 2007
looking at the few cards that i have and seen in scans, one element is out of the question. as you listed way to many things that could place you at a serious disadvantage. i feel like i would lean towards more a pokemon-esque strategy and use two elements along with a few neutral cards (biolith). (pokemon you would usually have 2 types and some normals to back you up) i'm going to have to experiment with what elements work best. i don't know if complete opposite elements would work well together but we'll have to wait and see. i really want to try and make a good fire and wood or fire and earth deck with some strong biolith cards. i got an UR earth card so i'll see what i can come up with...
Photobucket
Cool site!!! Just like the Dragon eggs! but with griffins!!!

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Oct 25, 2007
Another idea to influence the deck you're building. Use these forums to see what people might be putting in their decks. So far i've seen plenty of people saying they would be including fire summons, so I'm probably going to make a deck to counter that when I play online.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

Oct 25, 2007
I can't wait until my game comes in tomorrow, I'll be  playing with the starter deck slightly modified until I get some more boosters.
I think the Biolith + 2 Other elements looks like a good strategy.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3704 posts

Oct 25, 2007
I agree, playing as 1 element is harder, especially if the other person knows and builds a deck just to exploit you, but it can also be challenging and more fun.  Plus you can build 2 decks using a different specialized element in both.  If the opponent guesses wrong, he/she is at a disadvantage.  If the opponent has a mixed deck,  that means with so many elements out there, there is only a small chance they'd have your weakness and even if they do, they won't have too many of those cards.

I've seen lots of cards/abilities.  1 element can certainly be strong if you know which cards can really compliment that element.

Message Edited by darkwiz on 10-24-2007 11:01 PM
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

Oct 25, 2007
One deck could be viable if you had alot of cards that granted fieldquake,maybe in the next couple expansions they could round out single colors.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

Oct 25, 2007
I'm all for the balanced approach myself, of course I'm still learning the whole jargon/strategy still, but it seems to make the most sense. One thing I'm curious about is the breakdown on the theme decks. Not necessarily the actual cards, but how many Biolith, vs Wood, etc. Is it really worth it (excepting the only available cards in the theme decks), or would the boosters be sufficient to build a strong couple decks.

Any input from those who might possibly be lucky enough to have a theme deck already?
PSU=Havok-Bringer
facebook.com

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the men of old gained approval. --Author Unknown (Hebrews 11:1 & 2 NASB)
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 18 (27 Views)
0 Likes