Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Re: When Dawnguard comes out...

[ Edited ]
Aug 30, 2012

If Bethesda had developed the game correctly on the PS3 you would get to enjoy Skyrim with the DLC. Since Bethesda are PS3 incompetent and chose not to properly utilise the PS3 hardware, you won't get to enjoy the DLCs. I'm waiting for it any day now for Bethesda to announce "due to issues beyond our control we're not going to be able to release Dawnguard on PS3. We're sorry and just as disappointed as you are" Or something along those lines.

I would be surprised if they even announce that it isn't coming, since what Bethesda is best at doing is remaining silent. It might turn out like the Oblivion DLC Shivering Isles in Europe. Shivering Isles was announced by Bethesda to be coming to the EU PSN store without any date or time frame for when, and here we are years later EU is still waiting for Shivering Isles to come to the EU PSN store. Now it's obvious it's not going to now, but Bethesda announced it, then never said a word about it ever again.

Home, the game to play if you're having a gender identity crisis.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 17 (459 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4583 posts

Aug 30, 2012

oh look, an "update" on the situation.... lol 

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1407614-update-on-ps3-dlc/

18V Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 17 (447 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Aug 31, 2012

And with that new announcement the prospect of Dawnguard or ANY DLC making it's way to the PS3 version of Skyrim has now gotten even more slim. If they can't release Dawnguard, PS3 Skyrim is finished. No revenue = no support.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 17 (443 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Aug 31, 2012

Kratos276 wrote:

So Sony engineers have to step in and see what they can do with the engine to get it to the point where DLC can be added on without breaking it again.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sony engineers came back with the same results of not being able to do anything without building the game/engine from the ground up again for the PS3 due to the fault of the engine (I think back to some of the PS3 heads saying multiplatform would end up better parity wise if you use the PS3 as the lead and work out to the other versions from there which I think Criterion and others echoed).  I mean, at this point, you're asking engineers (Sony and Bethesda ones) to make a patchwork of a mess and any of those 'patches' can lead to a whole new mess and it just becomes an endless cycle of trying to find a 'patch' to keep the game from falling apart with more content added on top.

Hopefully this is Bethesda's last game with the engine (seeing as a new gen is around the corner as well).  It's had a horrible run on the PS3 and is just shoddy all around it seems (I know they like the realism aspect but I think it's pointless for the game/engine to remember the position of every single plate in the world on every freaking shelf).  If they knew the game was in this condition when they were developing it, it sounds like the game shouldn't have even been released on the PS3 without the engine getting a heavy reworking for that version.  Better yet, if it was the way it was, they should have asked Sony early on instead of shipping a mess and then asking for help when they bolt to bolt more content on.  They couldn't pass up the PS3 audience this past Holiday season and I know Sony didn't want to miss out on one of the biggest releases of the year either from a 3rd party (they're kind of to blame as well for the game getting through certification in the condition it was).

The funny thing in all this is MS paid for timed exclusive DLC and it now seems like it was a waste =\  I wonder how Bethesda is going to handle this though.  If they can't release DLC for the PS3 version, will that have burned the bridge for fans waiting for all the new stuff(or will they just still support Bethesda on another platform?)?  Sony is left with a severely gimped version in all this as well so that's got to look bad for Bethesda too (the quality of the game shipping on the platform and the issues with getting DLC out for the platform now).  Will Bethesda do something if things don't work out to regain some good will with the PS fanbase or what? 

Best case scenario is that Sony looks at this and sees it as an area where the top 3rd party studio isn't delivering for them and they get a 1st party studio (Sony Santa Monica?) on making a title in the same area (maybe using the Demon's Souls IP in an open-world setup?).

This post turned out longer than it was supposed to be...

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 17 (433 Views)
Fender Bender
4583 posts

Aug 31, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

Kratos276 wrote:

So Sony engineers have to step in and see what they can do with the engine to get it to the point where DLC can be added on without breaking it again.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sony engineers came back with the same results of not being able to do anything without building the game/engine from the ground up again for the PS3 due to the fault of the engine (I think back to some of the PS3 heads saying multiplatform would end up better parity wise if you use the PS3 as the lead and work out to the other versions from there which I think Criterion and others echoed).  I mean, at this point, you're asking engineers (Sony and Bethesda ones) to make a patchwork of a mess and any of those 'patches' can lead to a whole new mess and it just becomes an endless cycle of trying to find a 'patch' to keep the game from falling apart with more content added on top.

Hopefully this is Bethesda's last game with the engine (seeing as a new gen is around the corner as well).  It's had a horrible run on the PS3 and is just shoddy all around it seems (I know they like the realism aspect but I think it's pointless for the game/engine to remember the position of every single plate in the world on every freaking shelf).  If they knew the game was in this condition when they were developing it, it sounds like the game shouldn't have even been released on the PS3 without the engine getting a heavy reworking for that version.  Better yet, if it was the way it was, they should have asked Sony early on instead of shipping a mess and then asking for help when they bolt to bolt more content on.  They couldn't pass up the PS3 audience this past Holiday season and I know Sony didn't want to miss out on one of the biggest releases of the year either from a 3rd party (they're kind of to blame as well for the game getting through certification in the condition it was).

The funny thing in all this is MS paid for timed exclusive DLC and it now seems like it was a waste =\  I wonder how Bethesda is going to handle this though.  If they can't release DLC for the PS3 version, will that have burned the bridge for fans waiting for all the new stuff(or will they just still support Bethesda on another platform?)?  Sony is left with a severely gimped version in all this as well so that's got to look bad for Bethesda too (the quality of the game shipping on the platform and the issues with getting DLC out for the platform now).  Will Bethesda do something if things don't work out to regain some good will with the PS fanbase or what? 

Best case scenario is that Sony looks at this and sees it as an area where the top 3rd party studio isn't delivering for them and they get a 1st party studio (Sony Santa Monica?) on making a title in the same area (maybe using the Demon's Souls IP in an open-world setup?).

This post turned out longer than it was supposed to be...

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with all of that as far as I can tell. I'd have to say I agree with what you said 100%.

18V Sig
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 17 (426 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Aug 31, 2012
Well I have patch 1.7 and it has fixed all bugs and the lagging so I don't understand you.
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 17 (420 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 1, 2012

RealDeal_zl-_-l wrote:
Well I have patch 1.7 and it has fixed all bugs and the lagging so I don't understand you.

Are you enjoying the Kinect support with Dawnguard? ahhhahahaha That's mostly all patch 1.6 and 1.7 fixed.

The only thing the PS3 saw a benefit from was the Nirnroot glow glitch which turned into nuclear Nirnroot glow because the glow animation kept stacking. The patch also fixed the enemy respawn problem, and the water freezing problem that 1.5 created. Other than those 3 things the patch was useless. Mounted combat? bahahahahaha what a joke.

Edit: There were a number of quest bug fixes in 1.6/1.7 but like I said the PS3 version really benefited from the fixes I mentioned above.

The patch also didn't fix your lagging(many users have reported that the patch made lag go back to pre 1.4 levels) it may have allievated the severest lagging, but the base performance of Skyrim is horrendous, and the frame rate constantly dips whenever there is a lot going on, on screen. Mist, fog, fire, and water causes the frame rate to dip, combat causes the frame rate to dip, tons of trees and foliage causes the frame rate to dip, cities cause the frame rate to dip, and horseback riding causes the frame rate to dip. So you're lagging is technically not fixed. Nor will the horendous base performance ever be fixed.

People who claim to have no lag or no problems, are either A.) oblivious B.) lying or C.) their level of performance acceptability is quite low. We all bought the same broken code on disc, and that broken code is running on the same hardware(I know there are miniscule differences between slim vs fat PS3's) There is no variables and combinations of hardware like PC has. So sorry if I take your statement of having no bugs or lag with a huge grain of salt, because I know you do and you're lying to yourself and everyone else by saying you don't. NO ONE has a miraculously working copy of Skyrim on PS3.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 17 (409 Views)