Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 26 2010
By: snakenole Splicer 50 posts

PS3 vs. PC combat

8 replies 6 views Edited Feb 26, 2010

I have a general idea of the differences in combat between the PS3 version and the PC version. But the more I get into the PS3 game, the more I get the feeling the differences are bigger than I thought. For instance, while watching a video of PC gameplay I noticed that you can position your players in very specific places and target specific enemies or areas. I haven't figured out how to do this in the PS3 version. Am I just missing that?

Overall, while I LOVE this game, I feel that the battle menu leaves a lot to be desired. For example, when you open the radial menu to choose a talent/spell, there is no name of the talent/spell or mana/stamina requirement. Sure you can dig deeper and get it. But think back to the Final Fantasy games that told you the name and what the cost to use was right in the top menu. Much easier to use. I can't remember all these little icons and what they represent--they are all very simialar (well. some anyway). Anyway, I think they could tighten up the menus the next time around (some are hard to read too) and make it better. But I've heard the PC layout it better.

Anyone played both?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Re: PS3 vs. PC combat

Feb 26, 2010
You can position your party members on the ps3. You have to just give the HOLD order. This way you will have control over them, instead of them just blindly running into the battle.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Feb 26, 2010

But once you tell them to hold, what next? I mean I know you can issue individual commands but can you direct them where to go (ie, attack from behind, etc)?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Feb 26, 2010
Yea. Just - pause - select the guy you want to position ( L1/R1) - unpause - position him.. Just remember to change L2 to hold not toggle, so it won't unpause after every order given.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Feb 26, 2010
One last dumb question (well, maybe!). When you select "hold" doesn't it hold everyone? So if I pause then select the one I want to move won't it unpause all of them and they'll just run into battle? I would try it but I'm at work. I'll mess around with it tonight. But I thought it was sort of all or none and then you unpause it's just chaos.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Feb 26, 2010
No, that's what i'm talkin' about. If you have it on halt instead of follow, they won't run into battle. I also have my tactics turned off for everyone.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Feb 26, 2010
Sort of a minor off topic thing, I hear that the PC is really boring. Some of the battles you come across are difficult, no doubt, but I hear on the PC almost all the battles are pretty brutal. I like the PS3 version better because there is more of a balance between action and strategy, unlike KOTOR which I have played and didn't like.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
311 posts

Feb 27, 2010
The combat in KOTR was MUCH easier than DA.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
462 posts

Mar 1, 2010

S0LID__EVEREST wrote:
Sort of a minor off topic thing, I hear that the PC is really boring. Some of the battles you come across are difficult, no doubt, but I hear on the PC almost all the battles are pretty brutal. I like the PS3 version better because there is more of a balance between action and strategy, unlike KOTOR which I have played and didn't like.

the battles on the PC are not brutal. the PC just has more enemies on screen, but you have much better control over the battle field thanx to the isometric camera.

to the OP: you know you can hit square when you point at a certain talent and it will tell you it's name, a description and mana/stamina cost.

I've played both and I can't really say the interface is better for the PC. sure it looks easier at first glance but I think the PS3 interface works pretty good for console. also, you have to open the spell book for any non hot-keyed talent/spell on the PC which is really annoying especialy for mages cause they have so many spells to choose from.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (6 Views)
0 Likes