Feb 03 2013
By: hovito89 Wastelander 913 posts
Accepted Solution

Dragon Age 2 vs Origins

4 replies 614 views Edited Feb 3, 2013

I"ve played and beat DA2 and recently started up again. I have Skyrim on the way & was just looking for a time kill. It's just that recently since playing dragon age 2 for a second time I've started to realize how much I enjoyed this game. I've never played origins before and was wondering if any of you thought this game was equally fun to play. What are the differences that are obvious in Origins vs Dragon Age 2? Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 5 (614 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Re: Dragon Age 2 vs Origins

Feb 3, 2013

Those 2 games are different in many ways.  A lot of people complained because of this.  Personally, I like both games with Origins being better overall.  Origins may not be as pretty and as fast-paced as DA2, but its story is spread out over a larger area, and you aren't limited to just playing a Human character.  If you've played DA2 1st and loved it, then I don't know if you'll like Origins unless you're an RPG nut like myself. lol

I know I didn't give much info.  I haven't played Origins in a while.  I just remember that Origins offered more to me than DA2.  It kinda reminds me of how much the Final Fantasy series has changed.  The games are "prettier", but they're more "compact" than before.

"If I ever type a question, will you read it?"
Message 2 of 5 (609 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
299 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Origins is, in general, a better game. No using the same assets over and over to be different areas. You can be a elf, dwarf, or human with most having 2 different background stories to choose from that you get to play through as the first part of the game, you can compare it to the fake story Varric tells first in the beginning of Dragon Age II. I also feel that the relationships in Origins are more compelling, you can talk to the other members of your party at any time in the base camp. I have to say that, to me, it seems like your decisions matter more in Origins as well. What happens at the end of II is what happens at the end of II no matter which side you choose to be on, in Origins a lot changes in the epilogue based on in game choices. There is the added benefit of importing your Origins save to a II game that determines what quests will be available by decisions made in Origins, that makes the games feel like one continuous story of your own design. The DLC for Origins is better as well, and the Ultimate edition is less than 20 dollars so you will get it all. The Drakspawn Chronicles in particular is unique, you get to play as a Darkspawn in an alternate reality version of the final battle where the Darkspawn win. II isn't as bad as everyone says, I am doing my second playthrough of it now to get the trophies that I couldn't on my first playthrough, but Origins is a superior game. It is pretty obvious II was rushed out before it was really ready.

Message 3 of 5 (594 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
100 posts

Mar 11, 2013
i agree. but the missions are easier to find in da2 and when you find where you need to go. compare the the first one that is awful for it
Message 4 of 5 (513 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
100 posts

Jul 30, 2013

I think the combat system for mages in Dragon Age 2 is much better.  Also the inclusion of a voice actor for Dragon Age 2 for the main character was nice.  Wish that there were a few more conversation options after a while though.

"Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and though
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
-Lord Tennyson "Ulysses"

Message 5 of 5 (248 Views)
0 Likes