Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Re: Bioware: DA3 Will Draw From Skyrim

Jun 19, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

Bioware would have to have an engine to use that could handle it, unlike Bethesda's that falls in on itself.  And if they could make it lively (I've played Oblivion and Morrowind and the world just felt kind of eh/lifeless when outside the cities) while keeping the DA vibe/mechanics that fans love, then I'd say it'd work.

A common misconception is that the engine is the problem. The engine is not the problem. The problem is either due to poor coding or lazy developers.

My reference for this is Oblivion for the PS3. The port for the game was done by 2K.......not Bethesda. Oblivion runs very well with an occasional freeze on a loading screen. Yeah they may a couple "minor" quicks with the game but it is nothing compared to the mess that Skyrim became or even Fallout 3 for that matter.

Bioware could easily use the Gambyro Engine and make a mostly bug free game as long as they have good developers.

The game may be semi open but I doubt it will be anything near as open as Skyrim. Bioware has little experience making a truly open, living world. However, I would like to see Bethesda have some actually competition in the truly open world genere.

There may be some other truly open world RPG's developers but none of them come close to doing any games like Bethesda does.

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 30 (863 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jun 19, 2012

If I recall reading, someone from Obsidian came out and said the engine was the issue (IGN):

One user asks Sawyer if the size of the save file is indeed the cause of these issues. Sawyer responded by saying that the size of save files could "be a big problem, especially if you're on the PS3. The longer you play a character, the more bit differences on objects (characters, pencils on tables, containers, etc.) get saved off and carried around in memory." His mention of "bit differences" is a reference to a bit field, which is a way data can be stored.

Another user angrily asks Mr. Sawyer about why games are released in such poor condition, to which he answered that Skyrim's problems are "an engine-level issue with how the save game data is stored…" Many other users are angry at Bethesda Game Studios for Skyrim's subpar performance on PS3, however, but Sawyer defends Bethesda. "It's not like someone wrote a function and put a decimal point in the wrong place… We're talking about how the engine fundamentally saves off and references data at run time. Restructuring how that works would require a large time commitment."

Yet another user asked Sawyer if these problems are exclusive to PlayStation 3, which he answered, "as with Fallout 3 and Skyrim, the problems are most pronounced on the PS3 because the PS3 has a divided memory pool." When pressed on what a "divided memory pool" means, Sawyer clarified: "The Xbox 360 has a unified memory pool: 512 megs of RAM usable as system memory or graphics memory. The PS3 has a divided memory pool: 256 megs for system, 256 for graphics. It's the same total amount of memory, but not as flexible for a developer to make use of."

=====

As for Oblivion PS3, you also have to keep in mind that the port was the only version being worked on at the time.  With Skyrim, Bethesda was working on 3 versions and obviously gave priority to 2 of them over the PS3 version.  So the PS3 Oblivion team had only the goal of getting the game up and running on the PS3 to the best of their ability.  However, you would think Bethesda would be able to use their work as a blueprint for the PS3 versions of their games going forward.

Bethesda in my mind has a non-existant QA team but lazy/poor programming comes to mind as well.  The fact that they can win 'Developer of the Year' awards when they put out technical trainwrecks is amazing.  I do wish someone would actually put out something decently capable in the same genre to make Bethesda step up their game as a result, atleast on the quality side of things.  If another developer came along and put out a game with a world in similar size and similar scope, on 3 platforms without the game breaking bugs and with all 3 versions up to par, then Bethesda would be put on the spot.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 30 (863 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Jun 19, 2012

Bethesda never did the port for Oblivion. Oblivion for the PS3 was done by 2K Studios. Oblivion uses the same engine that Fallout 3 and Skyrim use (technically). Oblivion never had issues with the save file causing issues.

No offense or anything but Obsidian is not really a good example of a team with technical expertise. They have a proven record of creating buggy games. I think he just tried to shift the blame on Bethesda for two teams that truly lack technical skill.

What he says about the memory issue though is true but it can be fixed. Bethesda just needs to get 2K to do all their PS3 games and then there won't be any issues.

Everyone always blames the engine when yes it is a part of it but the main issue is the developers.

Back on subject here....Bioware has good developers so if they do decide to do an open world RPG similar to Bethesda then I highly doubt it will have all the technical problems Skyrim and Fallout have. I am sure there would be some issues but I doubt game freezing due to an ever expanding save file would be one of those issues.

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 30 (863 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
53 posts

Aug 17, 2012
i think its cool that they got away from the grey wardens and from hawke but also at the same time they could make a cameo like alistar did in da2
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 30 (853 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
44 posts

Aug 31, 2012

Dragon Age's characters, lore, environment, choices... with Skyrim's open worldness... sounds good

I'm a bit worried how combat might be...

Sounds like it might end up looking like Two Worlds.

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 30 (842 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 26, 2012
DA2 is a great game but I will agree with your 1st point about the locations, It got pretty bland compared to DA1. It was more about the exploring in DA1 which is essential for an RPG. I am quite excited for DA3 and have faith that they will deliver an amazing game based on as much time as its been and the feedback they have accumulated.
The darkness will devour
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 30 (817 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Sep 26, 2012
A very low rated game from critics and gamers alike. I am so glad I didnt buy two worlds lol
The darkness will devour
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 30 (816 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Oct 5, 2012

I hope that doesn't mean screwing customers by releasing an incomplete product. Only to mess it up even more later...

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 30 (774 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2387 posts

Dec 1, 2012
every male character is not bisexual. they have the option there to be "politically correct" for those players that are. you choose who you want to be. no one forces you to be "bisexual" in this game
[/img]http://xivreborn.com/gen/Matchbox_Inferno_Exodus_General.jpg[/img]

http://xivreborn.com/gen/Matchbox_Inferno_Exodus_General.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 30 (648 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
297 posts

Dec 3, 2012

I like that the people of Bioware are listening to the gamers.  I know there's no way they can please "everyone".  But, at least it appears that they are trying.  They are doing more for their customers than some of those other companies out there.  I say, "Give them a chance".

Personally, I'd like to see respawning enemies and a lot more experience levels.  Also, it would be nice to be able to respond to an ally without them either falling in love with you, or utterly hating your guts.  DA2 wasn't "completely" like that.  But, there were moments when I was just trying to select friendly options throughout a conversation and suddenly I either had to flirt or be a jerk. lol

I'm looking forward to DA3.  It looks like Bioware is really working hard on this one.

"If I ever type a question, will you read it?"
Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 30 (641 Views)
0 Likes