Sep 15 2010
By: Carbonox_Ratchet Shinra Executive 45517 posts

DmC: Devil May Cry - Let's Discuss Dante's Appearance

95 replies 1146 views Edited Sep 15, 2010

Use this thread to discuss Dante's appearance, so we can free up the revelation thread for more news on the game.

You must have seen the screenshots by now so let's discuss why Dante looks the way he does. 

"It's Dante in his teens... the game is still very DMC. Didn't you guys have a bad haircut when you were younger?! The Dante gamers are familiar with is one that understands and embraces his powers, using them to dispatch enemies assuredly, with style and a trademark wisecrack. Taking a young Dante allows us to introduce a raw, more visceral combat fuelled by powers that he is yet to comprehend or have control over."

- Capcom Staff

This pretty much tells us that this is Dante before he became the character we're used to in the previous titles.

So why is Dante dressed like this? Why is his hair this color? Let's throw down some ideas:

1. He had a haircut and dyed his hair to distance himself from his family so that he isn't as noticeable as the 'son of Sparda' to demons.

2. With his mother and father dead, and brother gone, he became a street kid before establishing himself as the number 1 demon investigator (and therefore setting up the shop, "Devil May Cry").

Please keep all discussions about your opinions on the game itself out of here. I welcome opinions on the character design though but let's try and share our ideas on the canonical reasoning behind Dante looking like this.

Message 1 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Re: DmC: Devil May Cry - Let's Discuss Dante's Appearance

Sep 15, 2010

Carbonox_Ratchet wrote:

Use this thread to discuss Dante's appearance, so we can free up the revelation thread for more news on the game.

You must have seen the screenshots by now so let's discuss why Dante looks the way he does. 

"It's Dante in his teens... the game is still very DMC. Didn't you guys have a bad haircut when you were younger?! The Dante gamers are familiar with is one that understands and embraces his powers, using them to dispatch enemies assuredly, with style and a trademark wisecrack. Taking a young Dante allows us to introduce a raw, more visceral combat fuelled by powers that he is yet to comprehend or have control over."

- Capcom Staff

This pretty much tells us that this is Dante before he became the character we're used to in the previous titles.

So why is Dante dressed like this? Why is his hair this color? Let's throw down some ideas:

1. He had a haircut and dyed his hair to distance himself from his family so that he isn't as noticeable as the 'son of Sparda' to demons.

2. With his mother and father dead, and brother gone, he became a street kid before establishing himself as the number 1 demon investigator (and therefore setting up the shop, "Devil May Cry").

Please keep all discussions about your opinions on the game itself out of here. I welcome opinions on the character design though but let's try and share our ideas on the canonical reasoning behind Dante looking like this.

I think that your very much on the right track with your thoughts on Dante trying to distance himself from his own legacy, and dying his hair is something that would make him less recognizable, I mean that said, it probably doesn't do much do discourage Demon's because as we find in DMC3, they recognize him by his scent or that his aura is similar to spardas (baisically they can feel his Demonic energy.

I suspect he doesn't realize this at this point in time if its Dante during his earlier teen years.

As I mentioned in another thread, I think that this may be Dante during his "Tony Redgrave" phase, which could explain the drastic difference in appearance, because Dante IS trying to be SOMEONE ELSE.

Just a thought.

anyway, general thoughts is that I really don't like the new appearance, but if the story is good, and the build up leads us to the Dante we know and love, I think i would be OK with an origins story.  

Message 2 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8612 posts

Sep 15, 2010

Well, his hair could possibly be black by default, but with his demon powers coming to light and whatnot, is changing the color of his hair.

And the whole "Horribly ugly" thing, I can't explain it. But he does look like he fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

If this is Dante when he was a teenager(Which looks 100% different from Young Dante in DMC3 in every way possible), then I'd hate to see his transitioning phase to Young Dante.

Praying to God this is non-canon.

Take back the future
Message 3 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
45517 posts

Sep 15, 2010
If you see the top of his head, you can make out white hair slowly growing. Either this is white roots emerging from the dyed hair or black is his natural color but turns white as he gets older.
Message 4 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Sep 15, 2010

I figured out what it is I dislike about his new appearance.    "Western touch" meant pandering and giving Dante a gangsta ish look/vibe that just feels dirty and wrong on Dante.

Anyway whoever suggested that Dante's hair was originally black, but turned white as his Demonic powers started to get stronger, I think thats apossibility, I was watching the trailer (again) and I paused at 2:00, it looks like some of the hair on the back of his head IS white, so perhaps as you progress through the game his hair starts black, but becomes white?   (As he changes and becomes closer to the Dante we know. . . .hopefully)

EDIT:   LMAO!   We both noticed the same thing and posted it Carbo!   HAHAHA!

Message 5 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Sep 15, 2010

I think it is the shorter hair and general look and feel of him. It just does not feel like DMC. I don't have a problem with the outfit but it is the face and hair that look strange to me and the reason I don't like it do far.

Message 6 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1089 posts

Sep 15, 2010
He looks really ugly now. Trashy IMO.
Message 7 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3566 posts

Sep 15, 2010

honestly. at first thought, i thought him having black hair was the WORST mistake they coulve made. but after thinking about it... the black hair could really be a good story. reading what carbo was saying. its nice to think that as the game progresses, the whiteness will start to come out. ( )

its the friggin build of dante i hate. and his face. he looks TOO skinny. and looks TOO annoying. 

just sharing.

Planning to start a "controversial" gaming blog. Anyone is accepted until slots are filled. :smileywink:
Message 8 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Sep 15, 2010

batman_darknight wrote:

honestly. at first thought, i thought him having black hair was the WORST mistake they coulve made. but after thinking about it... the black hair could really be a good story. reading what carbo was saying. its nice to think that as the game progresses, the whiteness will start to come out. ( )

its the friggin build of dante i hate. and his face. he looks TOO skinny. and looks TOO annoying. 

just sharing.

yeah it does seem weird, but if Carbo`s theories are correct or close, it could make sense.   I`m a bit shocked and still a bit dissapointed atm, but I`m gonna wait for more information before making a fianl judgement.

Message 9 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3566 posts

Sep 15, 2010

Yeah. So far, the feel of the game looks great. Dark and compelling. That's all that matters with a game for me. And gameplay of course. If Dante's look changes over course. Cool.

Planning to start a "controversial" gaming blog. Anyone is accepted until slots are filled. :smileywink:
Message 10 of 96 (1,146 Views)
0 Likes