Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Aug 24 2011
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 11060 posts

Does anyone else feel nauscious playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

7 replies 799 views Edited Aug 24, 2011

Generally, first-person games have never upset my body. I've always been used to tight corridors or more open spaces from a closed-in view of the environment. This sort of thing has never been a problem until recently when earlier this year Portal 2 did a number on my equilibrium. Falling through portals repeatedly and inescapably twisting and turning through the flying camera really made me feel like I was going to hurl at times.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution gives out a similar sick-to-my-head neurosis. Inspecting every bit of the landscape, or wanting to, while also concentrating on the enemies around the environment kind of gets to ya. Is there a can of beer or some ammo, or credits, or whatever knickknacks amongst these janitorial items? Papers scattered along the staircase, books lined in the office, entire enemy-coated areas in disarray with a pointer in need of pointing at it all... This sort of gameplay status certainly doesn't seem good for the digestion. How about yours?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (799 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
805 posts

Re: Does anyone else feel nauscious playing through Deus Ex: Human Revolution?

Oct 1, 2011

I am reading posts in this section trying to decide whether to buy the new Deus.  Would you say that this playstyle is similar to Bioshock, where I found myself searching every nook looking for more ammo and cash?  It's nice to be rewarded with supplies for poking around levels, but if done in excess, it becomes tedious and distracts the player from the gameplay.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (799 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11060 posts

Oct 1, 2011

Deus Ex: Human Revolution I would say has above average exploration. There are many offices with computers and safes to hack, contents in drawers, eBooks and e-mails to read through, weapons and ammo to pick up, even praxis points to discover. Through vents you'll crawl through multiple passages. Outside and inside locales use nonlinear courses to navigate all of it if you so choose... which only leads to more work to be done.

After about maybe a week of playing the game, I'd eventually gotten over the headaches I was having. It's really unusual a game would cause such a thing, but I suppose it's bound to happen when there's lots of looting to do in Deus Ex. Compared to BioShock though, Deus Ex does share some similar elements, such as hacking computer terminals to turn the patrol robots against enemies. Besides that, Deus Ex plays like a stealth-action game for the most part. Though heavy on exploration, the ability to sneak and/or shoot down guards along various routes leaves open different channels for how you'll decide to go through the experience.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (799 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Oct 11, 2011

Mylo_Cordana wrote:

I am reading posts in this section trying to decide whether to buy the new Deus.  Would you say that this playstyle is similar to Bioshock, where I found myself searching every nook looking for more ammo and cash?  It's nice to be rewarded with supplies for poking around levels, but if done in excess, it becomes tedious and distracts the player from the gameplay.

Photobucket

I wouldn't say it's done in excess at all, as your rewards for poking around and exploration are there, but non-essential.  For example you can earn an extra 100 XP for exploration for using a vent, while 100 XP isn't much in the grand scheme of things it does help over time, and it is nice that using alternative routes is rewarded.  Another example is hacking.  To be honest I didn't understand it very well at first so for the first two missions I did little to no hacking.  I can honestly say that I don't feel that my gameplay or story was overly effected by this choice.

I will say that now that I am doing hacking, and have learned the system, I am enjoying it, and once again they will hide little boxes of 50-100 credits and 50-100 XP in the hacking. 

Over all it adds up to an experience where you never feel you have to do anything outside of the main story objectives however you are rewarded for taking time to do alternatives, taking alternative routes, going the non-lethal route, etc.

-SP

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (799 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 12, 2012

Since it took the develpoers a long time to make with this game then that is why you feel overwhelmed by all the interesting bits of info.  I'm pretty sure that the next game won't be this extensive because it will be made at a faster rate.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (682 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

Jan 31, 2013

What feel in Deus Ex is when I go into Jensen's home the music playing in the background is so bone chilling. 

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (524 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
101 posts

Feb 6, 2013

I believe its the bobbing of the screen and since its more close up playing in the game than you think, you can feel nauseous because of the high analog sensitivity. Since I'm used to playing these types of games, I never feel nauseous 

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (502 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1031 posts

Feb 22, 2013

weird nope never happen to me

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (466 Views)
0 Likes