Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 30 2010
By: Juztinb42 Wastelander 909 posts

Why do you people play this game?

100 replies 51 views Edited Dec 30, 2009

I'm being completely serious.  I was just doing the Burrow King level or whatever it's called, and I realized something about this game after making it to the spider without dying, only to be killed within 20 seconds.  Well, I learned a couple things.

1) It forces you to die, no matter how smart, how dumb, how skilled, or how bad a player you are.  There is no possible way that anyone can avoid dying on certain parts.  The game is less about playing it, than it is about catching up to where you used to be.  Video games are meant to be fun, not stressful.

2) When you die, the game doesn't accomodate death.  You lose all of your souls, the level is reset, enemies get harder, and you lose health.  There is no simple way to get back to your body, and no I'm not saying it should be easy.  Without a doubt, there should be an easier way to get back to your body.  Make enemies weaker, increase your movement speed, increase your stats, take some of the easier enemies away and only leave the harder, important ones.  I would be fine with any of those.

3) Good playing isn't rewarded like it should be.  You beat a level?  Great!  Here, you can have all of the souls that you have already earned throughout the entire level, and some crappy items that you may not even need!  Beating a level should be rewarded much more than it is.  The player should be given an attribute or something.  Or a bonus to fighting enemies in that area permanently.

The theme of the game is how hard it is, and I'm fine with that.  But there is a fine line between challenging and just plain stupidity.

Strategy games are challenging.  Puzzles are challenging.  School is challenging.

Playing for 40+ minutes only to die and have all your progress taken away and having no way to get it back besides doing it all over again (which defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place) is stupid.  Enemies that can kill you in one hit are stupid.  Games that add stress instead of relieving it are stupid.

I think you all play this game because you get a false sense of satisfaction knowing that you've accomplished something that an average person wouldn't be able to.  However, that is definitely not dependent on skill.  If you play this game for a long enough amount of time, you can beat it.

Maybe you play it because you need to feel superior.  Maybe you want to feel unique so you play "hard" games.  If that is the case, it really is your own loss, since you would have been much happier playing an easy game than a hard one.  Do you really think that Pong was for people to feel stressed out and then finally feel better once they have beaten it?  Of course not.

Think about it this way: every time you died, you piled on stress.  Let's say you're the greatest person that ever existed in the history of forever, and you died 50 times over the course of the game.  For argument's sake, lets put a number value on each time you died.  Let's say 10 points for every time you died.  So you're at a stress level of 500.  You finally beat the game and you kick back, and are super awesome.  For every boss that you killed, you lose 25 points of stress (dying 2.5 times per boss seems fair for the best person ever).  In total, you've lost 400 points of stress from beating the game (I think there are 16 bosses, correct me please) and are at a cumulative level of 100 stress points.  That's well above when you started the game.

So, I ask, why do you people play this game?

Edit: fixed one word

Message Edited by Juztinb42 on 12-30-2009 03:46 PM
Okay, let's go buy a pulhoon.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 101 (51 Views)
Sackboy
595 posts

Re: Why do you people play this game?

Dec 30, 2009

First of all your stress argument is flawed.  You yourself picked numbers of thin air, and stated them as facts.  When I die it doesn't stress me.  It's a video game.  Secondly I never die.  I can get through that whole level and not die once.  Sure when I first started I died, but you DO in fact gain skill.  Skill comes with timing attacks, not being greedy and trying to get that extra swing in at the expense of having stamina to roll away.  I hardly get hit, i can say I can play through a whole level a die once at the most.  You're just not good.  So my question to you is why'd you buy the game when every review heralds it as an old school, no hand holding type of game.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 101 (50 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
293 posts

Dec 30, 2009

1.When i got to the spider i just used the bow and dodged the fireballs and didnt die once thats is called strategy and you should use it

2.when you die you get all your health back, you can go pick your souls back up, you are supposed to learn from your mistakes. i also think it is pretty easy to get your body back, just invade somebody or help somebody kill an easy boss like the tower knight

3.i belive that killing a demon gives you many sould wich you can use to get more stats and the demon soul that you get can be used for many things like some cool spells.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 101 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
909 posts

Dec 30, 2009

HotLikeGravy wrote:

First of all your stress argument is flawed.  You yourself picked numbers of thin air, and stated them as facts.  When I die it doesn't stress me.  It's a video game.  Secondly I never die.  I can get through that whole level and not die once.  Sure when I first started I died, but you DO in fact gain skill.  Skill comes with timing attacks, not being greedy and trying to get that extra swing in at the expense of having stamina to roll away.  I hardly get hit, i can say I can play through a whole level a die once at the most.  You're just not good.  So my question to you is why'd you buy the game when every review heralds it as an old school, no hand holding type of game.

You're saying that you never once thought to yourself, "Wow, that death was cheap"?  I highly doubt that.

You not dying now but dying when you first started just proves my point that the game doesn't take skill, it just takes time.

You think timing attacks is skill?  Gimme a break.  I was doing that on the tutorial.

And my answer to your question is that I didn't buy the game, my friend gave it to me.  And I played it thinking that it would be a challenging game, which I proved that is most certainly not.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 101 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
323 posts

Dec 30, 2009
I won't bother reading. Just becouse you don't enjoy the game, doesn't mean other people can't enjoy it.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 101 (50 Views)
Lombax Warrior
195 posts

Dec 30, 2009

1) It forces you to die, no matter how smart, how dumb, how skilled, or
how bad a player you are.  There is no possible way that anyone can
avoid dying on certain parts.  The game is less about playing it, than
it is about catching up to where you used to be.  Video games are meant
to be fun, not stressful.

Read messages, watch bloodstains, read walkthroughs or play a level as a blue phantom first before attempting it yourself. Those are all good usefull ways to avoid getting killed. I killed spider boss as a blue phantom twice before I felt I was ready to try it on my own. Did it on my first attempt. The game teaches you to be better.

2) When you die, the game doesn't accomodate death.  You lose all of
your souls, the level is reset, enemies get harder, and you lose
health.  There is no simple way to get back to your body, and no I'm
not saying it should be easy.  Without a doubt, there should be an
easier
way to get back to your body.  Make enemies weaker, increase
your movement speed, increase your stats, take some of the easier
enemies away and only leave the harder, important ones.  I would be
fine with any of those.

Yes, you are saying it  should be easier, you are contradicting yourself. Maybe you weren't around back in the days of sidescrollers where when you got killed you also lost everything and had to start from the begining of the level, and if you lost all your lives you would have to start over from the FIRST level. Games nowadays are too easy and spoil gamers...

3) Good playing isn't rewarded like it should be.  You beat a level? 
Great!  Here, you can have all of the souls that you have already
earned throughout the entire level, and some crappy items that you may
not even need!  Beating a level should be rewarded much more than it
is.  The player should be given an attribute or something.  Or a bonus
to fighting enemies in that area permanently.

Matter of opinion, I think getting a Demon Soul at the end of a level is rewarding enough. You want it to be too easy again, get your stuff for free so you can be a super character in no time and rush through the game.

Playing for 40+ minutes only to die and have all your progress taken
away and having no way to get it back besides doing it all over again
(which defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place) is stupid. 
Enemies that can kill you in one hit are stupid.  Games that add stress
instead of relieving it are stupid.

I find the challege to be fun, it keeps me on my toes all the time. And you died it doesnt defeat the purpose of going there the first time, you are supposed to learn how/why you died and not do it again. The game teaches you to be good this way. 

I think you all play this game because you get a false sense of
satisfaction knowing that you've accomplished something that an average
person wouldn't be able to.  However, that is definitely not dependent
on skill.  If you play this game for a long enough amount of time, you
can beat it.

Everything in life that you accomplish is done through repetition, you are making no sense. You wanna run a marathon? you have to run every week distances until you've done it enough to run one. You have a math test? You have to doenough exercises until you are ready for it. You want to learn to fly a plane? You need to take flight lessons until you have enough time so you get your license. You want to be good at demon souls? You have to play enough until you are good at it... 

Maybe you play it because you need to feel superior.  Maybe
you want to feel unique so you play "hard" games.  If that is the case,
it really is your own loss, since you would have been much happier
playing an easy game than a hard one.  Do you really think that Pong
was for people to feel stressed out and then finally feel better once
they have beaten it?  Of course not.

Easy games are boring. I played uncharted, beat in 7 hours and never played again. Played batman, beat it in 12 hours (or so) and got bored nad never played it again and the same for most games... I have 23 hours on this one and I still want more. Having a challenge is good, getting pissed at the game is good because it keeps me wanting to coma back for more because it's a challenge and I dont wanna give up. Free easy things are boring.

Assisgning random numbers is fun, what happens if I say I get 10 points of stress each time I die but I loose 100 points of sress each time I kill anything in DS? Then I would be at like -10000 stress after beating the game and would be the happiest more relaxed being in hte universe....

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 101 (50 Views)
Wastelander
791 posts

Dec 30, 2009

You're saying that you never once thought to yourself, "Wow, that death was cheap"?  I highly doubt that.

You not dying now but dying when you first started just proves my point that the game doesn't take skill, it just takes time.

You think timing attacks is skill?  Gimme a break. I was doing that on the tutorial.

And my answer to your question is that I didn't buy the game, my friend gave it to me.  And I played it thinking that it would be a challenging game, which I proved that is most certainly not.

So.....Lets review.
The Game Doesnt take skill it just takes time......but YOU didnt have the time OR the skill to survive without REPEATED DEATHS that you thought were CHEAP.....Uh......O.K.
You were timing attacks on the Tutorial.....but YOU were completely frustrated by ONE HIT KILLS......hmmmmm.....Did you even BEAT the tutorial or did you get OWNED like 95% of us did...........Where on earth was your TIMING?????
The game is CERTIANLY NOT CHALLENGING.......but YOU didnt beat it.....LACK the PATIENCE to COMPLETE it......and came here to COMPLAIN about a game that most of us are having success at but you lable as STUPID because of you own ineptitude......

O.K. I get it......Thank you for your time sir.....I think I will go play Demon's Souls now. I only have 3 more levels to beat.
Good Day to you.

--------------------------------
They can BAN me....but they will NEVER be able to STIFLE ME!!!!!!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 101 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
909 posts

Dec 30, 2009

ggasd wrote:
I won't bother reading. Just becouse you don't enjoy the game, doesn't mean other people can't enjoy it.

So don't bother posting.  You're opinion has no bearing on mine, and the opposite should be true.  I'm not trying to influence anyone here, I asked a question and got all this unnecessary hostility.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 101 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1902 posts

Dec 30, 2009

To OP.

You raise a fair few points. However, your outlook is just different then other peoples. You mentioned that good play is not rewarded like it should be. But that's what makes the game "refreshing" to some of us. As was mentioned on the spider boss, you could build your charecter way up and go in guns a blazin. Or you could, use your head, take cover and take pot shots all day long. Which of those is "good" play is entirely up to the player. 

The game makes you think. And good thinking is rewarded far more than good button smashing. 

jonesey666
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 101 (50 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Dec 30, 2009

Firstly, to point out a flaw in your rant, you do not have to do the whole level all over again when you die. By pouring sand (or whatever) into that lava pit and putting it out you can bypass about half the level in an instant and just bee-line it straight to the boss. Every single level in the game has a shortcut to the boss, be it an inconspicuous side route or a shortcut you make yourself.

To answer your question, yes it's stressful. But nothing gets your heart racing and your palms sweaty like the flashing "The Black Phantom **bleep**bag77 has invaded". And when you're beaten 17 times in a row, you have to think "hey wait, maybe there's something ELSE I could be doing to beat this dude, because this isn't working..." Honestly, the game is true to its theme. You're a tiny human in a big world full of Demons that want to kill you! If you don't take that seriously, if you're not on your toes and know that any enemy, if you don't take him seriously enough, could do you in, then you're playing just about any other action game on the market, RPG or otherwise.

I disagree as to the stress accumulation vs. stress relief factor. As stressful as the game is, the sense of accomplishment that you get when you finally take out that horrific Demon and give it what it deserves gives you a huge boost and relief. You're always awarded with plenty of souls, a Demon Soul with unique uses, and occasionally a very rare item to boot. And I'm the first to admit that I didn't beat them all by myself! Having a few allies helps big time in taking out some of the craziest enemies ever. I have never beaten Flamelurker by myself lol. But it's an impressive feeling that you get when you see what you can do with a team. And how good you feel when YOU'RE the blue phantom that helped another person get through the tough spot!

Have you ever been a Black Phantom before? Feel the fire burning in your blood as you realize that you're hunting down another player to steal his life-force? Come face to face with him, or lurk amongst the enemies for your chance to strike? This game has a lot to offer for those that spend the time and withstand the trials. It legitimitely makes you feel GOOD.

One last thing- I'm assuming you don't watch competitive sports right? Or do any of hundreds of day-to-day things that increase your stress? The difference is, your team is you in Demon's Souls. You have all the tools to train yourself, and outfit yourself with the best gear to make yourself the winner.

And we're all rooting for you. We all want you to succeed. I've added a bunch of people to my Friend List thanks to this game, and a bunch of my online experiences were just awesome. A real feeling of comraderie, despite having nothing but a handful of emotes to convey your feelings.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 101 (50 Views)