Jul 30 2011
By: ForTy444 Splicer 50 posts

How to cope with ruthlessness of the game?

121 replies 106 views Edited Jul 30, 2011

Hi ppl,

I started playing Demon's Souls again, after quitting on it in early stages some time back.

How do you cope with the game being the most brutal and ruthless game ever?

I browsed around for some info and decided to start with Royalty char, easier to play and cast magic at the beginning.

Dont know about you but I haven't yet experienced "rewardingness" of the game ppl say it offers. It just keeps punishing me. Let me explain...

I managed miraculously to raise my char to soul lvl 19 by doing Boletaria 1 and Stone<sthg> tunnels 1. I'm trying to raise my char to a powerful caster only so i invested all in endurance, vitality, intelligence and magic - Im lvl 19 atm.

Then I said, so far so good. Lets try Storms-world 1. For me this is a total source of misery and sadness. How the hell can I beat even one of those bloody rolling black skeletons at the very beginning of that storms place? I try to roll, it scratches me enough to make dmg. I try to cast but my mage is doing complex hand gestures so it takes miliseconds too long to actually make a cast. I got killed like 10 times in a row at the very beginning of Storms lvl 1 world. And all that on soul lvl 19.

Ok, i told myself this will not do. Try another world.

I then ventured into the Tower of Latria. Spooky place. Got killed 5 times (not in a row but frustrating nevertheless) until figuring out the mindflayer mons. Ok, and then I managed in one row to clear3 floors, killled 7 flayers and havent died yet. Collected hefty sum of 3590 souls at that point. Was careful not to slip over the edge. Was creeping slowly not to stumble upon another flayer. But all that did me no good. I opened one cell with lots of harmless looking mons. They all ganged up on me and I wasnt able to roll or get back out of the cell or cast a spell... two of them did me in 2 stabs. And this was the moment I shut down my PS3.

I understand 3490 souls is very little. For someone who played 2hrs to collect 3490 souls it is a lot. Yes it is the most frustrating game I ever played. It should be called a punishment. Some will dig dirt for building railways, some will play Demon's Souls. How do you cope with situations like these? I grind and I grind, I carefully progress but to no avail. I lost all the souls. I dont have the mental strength or the will to do all those 7 flayers again. To creep again through all the corridors and not get killed at least before I reach my previous point of death - what for - just to die before even reaching my last point of death losing souls definitely this time.

Truthfully, I'd like to play Demon's Souls but dont know how to do it without experiencing every time gut wrenching feeling of ripping my hair out because of a single rash unloking of the door. What bloody char to use? How to build up the stats? Must I really faculty-study the statistics, use other ppl builds just not to get killed in one swipe of pathetic mind flayer?

Dont know about you but i get very sad, and angry and frustrated I just got killed. And the killing part I would be ok with if I at least have a tiny bit of benefit. What did I get as a benefit - i played 2 hrs that Tower of Latria lvl 1 just to lose 3490 souls and be at the square one like I havent played at all? What, I learned to open cell doors more carefully? I knew that after 15mins of that world but a person makes mistakes inspite of the knowledge.

So, I ask you, what did I benefit in those 2 hrs? And herein lies my problem-nothing at all. I lost all. I lost gametime. I lost patience. I lost precious souls (havent sold a single hero souls I found while looting corpses. To what end-read somewhere in forums they could be used for better purpose). All this wouldn't mean much if I haven't lost the will to play too.

please folks... what should I change? how should I play? should I play 20 times in a row just world 1-1 and learn every single roll, stab, cast, roll roll before even thinking to go to world 5-1? what? I'm desperate to find a grain of satisfaction in this demon world.

Please help

Thank you

Message 1 of 122 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
816 posts

Re: How to cope with ruthlessness of the game?

Jul 30, 2011

This deserves a lengthy response that I do not have time for....I am traveling today but will try later....don't give up.  Everything can be overcome in this game and it WILL be satisfying.

Message 2 of 122 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
781 posts

Jul 30, 2011

My first try at DS I experienced many of the same frustrations you have.

IMO, the game is grossly unbalanced, and flat out unfair in many places. But, there is hope .....

First off, in 4-1, a pure caster is going to get beat down more often than not by those skellies. The solution? A magic based weapon, like the Cresent Falcion +1 found in 4-1.

Most importantly, I have two words for you that will even the odds in Demons Souls.

Dupe Glitch

Dupe the Boss souls, crank up your Soul Level, get the best spells / weapons in the game, and kick AZZZZZZZZ !!!!

Some will say thats cheating, or cheap. Well, maybe so ... but DS is the most unfair and unbalanced game Ive ever played. I just evened the odds a bit.

"Stupidity is a disease, and we have an epidemic on our hands"

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 3 of 122 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jul 30, 2011

I just tried again the Tower of Latria 1... got a bit further and then wrong step ... I was falling and falling to the abyss.... of course, I was killed in the following "walk" to the death spot losing another 4950 souls.

pray tell how the hell do you crank up your soul lvl?

i cannot do so since when i collect enough to progress for 2 lvls i get killed twice and i loose all my hard earned souls...

i even managed to beat many handed demon on the lower levels of tower of Latria...

for nothing but to get killed....

it soooo frustrates losing all the souls...

damn damn damn damn the authors of this game...

it seems I cannot overcome this... whats the point in exploring Tower of Latria when I just keep losing all the collected souls?

freakin hell... and to think others strategize and talk how to kill this guy how to kill that mons... lol... still lvl 19... can you imagine? i must get myself a big boxing bag and beat the hell out of it with my fists every time I lose all my souls

aaaaaaaagh!?!?"?*!?*=!"=)P'('&E&%E'Y)PJIO

Message 4 of 122 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jul 30, 2011

another 1850 lost... impaled by the flayer...

Message 5 of 122 (105 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Jul 30, 2011

I would strongly recommend doing the Tower at a later stage after you've built your character up a bit.

Personally to level up pretty quickly for the early stages of the game, if you are a caster and have the fireball spell.   Go to 4 - 1, and cast fire like a madman at the first few skeletons.   Simply KO the first 3 - 4, maybe 5 depending on how adventurous you are, then leave, and go back repeat this till you have enough souls to get stronger, and slowly keep pressing forward into that level little by little, KOing more skellies and even the flying things as well.

This is how I grinded when I first started.

Message 6 of 122 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jul 30, 2011

for crying out loud... the mind flayer just impaled me for 3 times... spent 10 half moon crescents for nothing... still 0 souls, still tower of latria lvl 1.... pathetic...

and pray tell what is the purpose of raising lvl? mons get tougher too... raising health doesnt mean they wont one-shot kill me...

perhaps im too frustrated with DS to continue it now... didnt have such problems with Boletaria lvl 1...

there at least i managed to get from lvl 1 to lvl 19... now i constantly keep dying... pathetic

Message 7 of 122 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jul 30, 2011

super_vegeta thanks for the tip but i dont have fireball spell...

i have only fire toss and i cant seem to find fireball at magic vendor

Message 8 of 122 (105 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
21008 posts

Jul 30, 2011

maybe fire toss is what I mean.

I can't remember the names exactly.

Anyway a fire spell will do.   The skellies take more damage from that than they do from the blue magic attack, that i've forgotten the name of.

Also if you have a "blunt" weapon like a club, that works great for taking skeletons out.

Message 9 of 122 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Jul 30, 2011

giving up on Tower of Latria... seems there is no world i can play i can play in ... i will try the skelletions again, but i doubt it i will harvest anything... i need like 1500 for next lvl if i remember correctly and that would mean at least 3 black skeletons...

im lucky if i even get to kill one and live to tell the tale

Message 10 of 122 (105 Views)
0 Likes