Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 13 2011
By: SlyRoyale First Son 5 posts

Hardest Demon's Souls Boss?

34 replies 21557 views Edited Apr 13, 2011

Greetings fellow demon slayers and welcomed phantoms!  How many times have you put your weapon through Phalanx's sludge-like body?  How long did you have to wait to be able to bring the Old Hero down to size?  What did you feel when you went down to the deepest reaches of the Valley of Defilement to kill the demonized Maiden Astraea and her upstanding knight Garl Vinland?  All of these questions add up to the one in the title that enticed you to click on this discussion and read what it is about.  Based on your experiences and your opinions, who do you think is the hardest boss in Demon's Souls?  Post your reasons as to why you think which boss is the hardest and feel free to critique on other bosses if you wish.  Keep in mind that these will be opinions that will be posted here, and as such will not be met with any negative comments.  Such comments include but are not limited to: insults, put-downs, and rudely challenging one's opinion.  Allow me to set the stage and get things started.

Although this thread is about who the hardest Demon's Souls boss might be, I'm going to list all the bosses by order of easiest to hardest.  This list is constructed by opinion, and therefore will have differences compared to another's opinion.

18th Place: Phalanx

If anything is easier than Lindsay Lohan (yes, I'm making a celebrity joke), it has to be that overgrown hoplite known as Phalanx.  The thing is just a giant blob with no attacks.  It relies on the many hoplites as its only means of defence and are the only threat in the boss fight.  Once you bomb them with firebombs, fire spells, or pierce through their "shield-faces" with Soul Arrow/Ray, Phalanx is nothing more than a giant blob of sludge that moves.  It cannot attack, it cannot defend...come to think of it, Phalanx may look like something that didn't agree with Dragon God's stomach.

17th Place: King Allant

The "final boss" that is affectionately known as "the punching bag boss".  He is like Phalanx, except he has more HP and defence, can attack, and has no other NPCs to give you trouble.  All you need to do is dodge his attacks and hack away.  There's nothing to it.

16th Place: Vanguard

Another easy boss.  His attacks are super-slow and dodge-able and can be ranged from a safe distance.  The only shining merit of this demon is encountering it in the Tutorial, where moving room is limited and risk of death fairly higher than the encounter in 4-1.  With the Thief's Ring and a bow and arrow or spell, you can safely attack Vanguard from a distance and he won't go after you because he can't see you.  That is if you take care of one or two of the flying manta rays in the area first.

15th Place: Storm King

A "Phalanx-esque" boss in the form of a gigantic manta ray with smaller versions of itself flying around.  This boss doesn't swoop down to attack you unless you have killed a bunch of its kin.  This boss looks threatening due to its sheer size and its "carpet-boming-of-needles" attack, but becomes a joke once you find some good cover and know when to dodge its projectiles if the cover can't protect you from all of them.  Attack once it is safe to do so, and with the Storm Ruler great sword to help you out the Storm King is a mere cake walk.

14th Place: Adjudicator

Like the Vanguard, except in a more enclosed area and its only weakpoint (where it takes damage) is the crow on its head.  It also has a bleeding wound you can hack at to make it fall over.  This boss has a very slow melee slash you can avoid, and only uses its tongue attack if you are far away.  The only challenge this fight poses is the limited room you have to move in, but otherwise this is a pretty easy fight.

13th Place: Old Hero

Old Hero is a bit of a pitiful boss, given that its blindness can be exploited with relative ease.  If you have stealth, the Cloak spell or a Thief's Ring, and most of all patience, Old Hero will go down literally without knowing what hit him.  Hit-and-run is a great melee tactic, and range and magic also work well against this boss.  Just be sure to not be in the same spot you used your spell/fired your arrow because Old Hero will be charging all the way over there.

12th Place: Dragon God

Dragon God feels more like a 3D platformer boss battle (kinda like Crash Bandicoot) amongst the other bosses in Demon's Souls.  For starters, you have to activate two ballistas that will cripple him before you get to have your way with him.  To make things difficult, there are piles of destructible rubble in the way that you have to clear.  That doesn't sound too bad...if the Dragon God doesn't notice you and decides to crush you like a pancake or roast you like a marshmellow.  There are two ways to clear the rubble: the quick way and the safe way.  The quick way involves using a strong weapon being held with both hands to destroy the rubble in 1-3 hits, while the safe method is to destroy the rubble from a distance with spells or arrows while hiding behind a pillar so that the Dragon God won't notice and attack you.  Once you have activated the two ballistas, go forth and knock that lizard back into the lava!

11th Place: Tower Knight

Ahh, yes.  The iconic Tower Knight of Demon's Souls.  This boss has some slow-yet-devastating attacks, and his shield attacks have A.o.E. (Area of Effect) properties that make you keep your distance.  There are a bunch of crossbowmen in the area to make the fight annoying, so be sure to take them out first before taking on the Tower Knight.  A somewhat-safe way to fight this boss is to use spells or arrows where the crossbowmen were (before you killed them) and run for cover when he is charging his "lance laser".  There is also the dangerous way where you hack at his feet and knock him down, leaving his head open for some punishment.  MAKE SURE TO GET OUT OF THE WAY WHEN HE FALLS OR YOU WILL BECOME A PANCAKE.

10th Place: Fool's Idol

This may be a bit of a tricky fight since this demon can set up some paralysis traps all over the area and make copies of itself.  Factor in the Soul Rays each of them fire and you will most likely find yourself behind cover.  A fairly easy boss to deal with if you know what you are doing.  Just make sure to kill the Dregling on the second level of the church before you go to fight Fool's Idol, or she will be revived every time you send her to the cleaners.

9th Place: Armor Spider

A perfect example of the saying "a good defence is a good offence".  The Armor Spider has plenty of attacks that make you keep your distance, such as its fireballs and string shots that slow your movement to a crawl.  Meleeing it will also prove to be troublesome as it will slash at you and create a surge of fire that will make you run towards the exit.  DO NOT STEP IN THE WEBBING OR YOU WILL BE MORE THAN SLOW ENOUGH TO BE A PRIME TARGET.  It would be better to take this nasty arachnid problem on in a shoot-out-based fight, dodging every fireball and string shot.

8th Place: Leechmonger

Leechmonger's attacks will eat away at your HP after contact, adding to your plate of worries of trying to avoid them.  Wading around in the swampy water may also be taxing on your HP, if my memory serves me correctly.  In spite of all those nuisances, Leechmonger isn't too difficult of a boss.  The reason why I have him in 8th place is his annoying ability to quickly regenerate HP.  Fire attacks may help against this guy, but that will mean squat if your damage and attack rate is lower than this blob's recovery rate.  Leechmonger's regeneration ability is more of a threat than its attacks, so to it from healing frequently try to stay within its attack range while avoiding its ranged attacks.  Fire Spray is an excellent spell for this boss fight due to its fire-based damage and ability to shoot while moving.  As long as you avoid its ranged attacks and keep it from regenerating a lot of HP you will be fine.

7th Place: Dirty Colossus

Like the Leechmonger, the Dirty Colossus can be easily dealt with by using Fire Spray.  The Dirty Colossus may not have the ability to regenerate HP, but it has a lot of it and its attacks are more devastating and whittle away at your HP quicker.  In a sense, the Dirty Colossus is like a more aggressive version of Leechmonger but without regeneration.  Be sure to avoid its attacks when you can (Fire Spray helps with this), or a world of hurt will come your way.

6th Place: Penetrator

This boss has some strong, sweeping attacks and can he hard to deal with if he focuses on you.  If you have rescued Biorr prior to this fight he will help you out (and serve as a nice, distracting meat-shield).  Be sure to time and space your dodges accordingly or you will find yourself cut in half at the waist or skewered.  Attack when there is an opening, when you have got some distance between him, or when his attention isn't focused on you.

5th Place: NPC Old Monk

This version of Old Monk isn't too intimidating, but still a bit fearsome.  He will spawn some Homing Soul Arrows to keep you on your toes, along with donning Gloom Armor and claws.  I hear that this version can heal himself, but my previous experience with this NPC version has no recollection of such actions.  He's still a fairly formidable enemy if you are not careful.

4th Place: Maiden Astraea

Maiden Astraea can heal herself and Garl Vinland, and can cast God's Wrath.  That is, if she is aggressive and Garl is alive.  What makes this fight really dangerous is Garl himself: his Dark Silver Armor set gives him nice defence bonuses (especially his magic defence), and his Dark Silver Shield can negate any damage if raised.  His Bramd large hammer is also a huge weapon to watch out for.  It can be avoided, but if you screw up you will be lucky to survive.  Meleeing Garl Vinland can be very risky because you may get hit by Bramd (or its splash damage) or you may get parried and riposted.  Use fire attack against him, preferably spells or the Lava Bow with strong arrows.  If you can kill Garl, you just have to walk up to Astraea and talk to her.  She will commit suicide and you will get yourself that Pureblood Demon's Soul!  Thanks to God's Wrath and Garl Vinland, along with the hazards the area has (plague swamp and Plague Babies), this boss fight is among one of the hardest in Demon's Souls.

3rd Place: Flamelurker

You need to be extremely mobile while fighting the Flamelurker.  This boss is very aggressive and can pin you down if you do not pay attention to your surroundings.  It will run towards you, swipe at you, cause explosions, and lunge at you.  Try to melee it after some of its attacks and dodge any incoming attack or use spells after a big attack or when it is reorienting itself.  Be mindful of where you step, too, as there are a could of small puddles of lava in the area.  As long as you are focused and time your dodges, you will make it out of this boss fight alive.

2nd Place: Maneater

This boss both intimidates and annoys me.  The area is fairly narrow and there are no walls (meaning that falling to death is possible), and the Maneater takes up a bit of space.  It has attacks that can knock you back, such as a lunge and a magical sound blast.  If the attacks do not manage to kill you, falling off the edge will.  Now comes the scary part.  After some time has passed or the Maneater takes a certain amount of damage, a second one will appear.  Now you have TWO Maneaters to deal with, so make sure to deal with the weakened one so you regain the breathing room you had before.  Otherwise, it will not end well for you.

1st Place A: False King Allant

The hardest NPC boss in Demon's Souls.  After finally making your way inside Boletaria's castle, this Castlevania-esque archdemon introduces itself with much intimidation.  Most of this fight will be spent reading Allant's movements, figuring out when to dodge his attacks and taking whatever time you can grasp to deal some damage or heal or rebuff yourself.  He also has an enormous A.o.E. attack like God's Wrath that takes a lot of time to charge, giving you time to either run away out of the blast's range or dodge it at the right time.  This boss will mostly be in you face, making constant attempts to have you soil yourself if he is unable to land his attacks.  If you ask me, False King Allant is the TRUE final boss of Demon's Souls.  Not that punching bag you release your frustrations out on underneath the Nexus.

1st Place B: BP Old Monk

This version of Old Monk is controlled by the player.  Depending on which player Old Monk brings into your world, equipment, weapons, spells & miracles, and hot-key items will be varied.  BP Old Monk will have varying tactics and skill based on the player, meaning it is nearly impossible to plan a strategy before the fight if you do not know the player who has invaded your world.  Ultimately, BP Old Monk is the hardest boss in Demon's Souls due to all of the variables and possible (or most-likely) higher skill than the NPC Old Monk.

In summary, I believe that False King Allant is the hardest NPC boss in Demon's Souls while BP Old Monk is the hardest of them all.  Which boss do you think is the hardest in this unforgivingly-sadistic game?

Message 1 of 35 (21,557 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2109 posts

Re: Hardest Demon's Souls Boss?

Apr 13, 2011

That's a pretty good list, but here are the changes I would make:

• Maiden Astraea shouldn't be #4, she's way too easy for that.
  • The NPC Old Monk is also very easy, since his attacks are weak and predictable.
  • The Old Hero is pretty powerful, alot more powerful than the NPC Old Monk and the Fool's Idol, for example.

But yeah, pretty good list. It must've taken a while to type all that.

Message 2 of 35 (21,227 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
989 posts

Apr 13, 2011

Only boss I had touble with was Maneaters really... being the pvp addict I am I got used to weapon movements and the most important rule... ROLL ROLL ROLL! Worked great vs everything and everyone! I remmember my 1st time vs maneaters I was laughing at how much dmg my sword with black turpentine was doing then I saw he was gonna attack me...

me: *roll* HA you missed!

me: ahhhhhh!!!!! *dies*

I'm no troll, I just dont like you.
Message 3 of 35 (21,227 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 13, 2011

Kharingin wrote:

That's a pretty good list, but here are the changes I would make:

• Maiden Astraea shouldn't be #4, she's way too easy for that.
  • The NPC Old Monk is also very easy, since his attacks are weak and predictable.
  • The Old Hero is pretty powerful, alot more powerful than the NPC Old Monk and the Fool's Idol, for example.

But yeah, pretty good list. It must've taken a while to type all that.

It did take some time, and it was written around late-night and midnight.  There might be some errors in my judgment, but I was glad to finish this list so I could hit the sack.

Come to think of it, Maiden Astraea and Garl Vinland are fairly easy to deal with if you use fire-based attacks at a distance to kill Astraea's "knight in shining armour".  I should switch her rank along with NPC Old Monk.  I fought him today on my SL1 Run Main and managed to beat him with relative ease using a Buckler +10 (I maxed it out long before the boss battle to increase guard break reduction) and a Quality Estoc +4.  His attacks never broke my guard and I was safely able to poke him to death.

Although NPC Old Monk may be weaker than Old Hero, the reason why I have Old Hero ranked as an easier boss because his blindness is laughably exploitable.  As long as you exercise stealth and hit-and-run tactics, Old Hero will never be able to hit you.  NPC Old Monk is a tad more difficult because he is always getting up in your face and he gains more Homing Soul Arrows as his HP decreases.  As for comparing Old Hero to Fool's Idol, accidentally stepping on a paralysis trap may make you an easy target for an incoming Soul Ray or two.  The risks those two 3-x bosses pose are harder to manage than what Old Hero poses, even if he is stronger.  Then again, this list is based on my experience on the first playthrough...

I will update the list when I get back from my evening activities.  Thank you for your contribution to the discussion, Kharingin! =)

Message 4 of 35 (21,228 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1538 posts

Apr 14, 2011

I agree with the first 3 but all the others all depend on different variables and can either be a little bit of a challenge of none at all. I cannot agree with the BP Monk. Everytime I have tried it Either the person disconnects and leaves or one time the guy was just running into the wall and did not even fight.

Message 5 of 35 (21,227 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
25 posts

Apr 14, 2011

Good write up!

For the hardest bosses it would be Maneater and the False King for me.  I've only beaten Maneater by myself once without help and didn't use the arrow trick at the fog gate.  That boss battle took about 45 min of me hanging by the firepit and running 1 hit roll away combos. (ng+)

False King I usually need help, I have yet to beat him solo without arrowing him to death at elevator entrance.

I find the other bosses pretty easy, even flamlurker isn't that bad in ng+++.

On a special note, I think BP Satuski NG+ is harder then most of the bosses in DS.

Message 6 of 35 (21,227 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Apr 15, 2011

johntown wrote:

I agree with the first 3 but all the others all depend on different variables and can either be a little bit of a challenge of none at all. I cannot agree with the BP Monk. Everytime I have tried it Either the person disconnects and leaves or one time the guy was just running into the wall and did not even fight.

If you have fought a BP Old Monk who knows what xe is doing you will understand why I believe it is the hardest boss battle in Demon's Souls.  Earlier today, I became Old Monk on my SL1 Main to get the Monk's Head Wrappings.  My opponent appeared to be a knight with a Steel Shield and Fire Spray.  My Crescent Fachion +4 ravaged him in around a minute.  I expected the fight to be slow but instead it was surprisingly fast.  BP Old Monk is the hardest boss for the following reasons:

• "Full-body" HP (increased if you were wearing a Cling Ring before invasion/summoned by Old Monk).
  • Attack boost since you are technically in Soul Form.
  • Unless you know who has invaded your world, you cannot formulate a strategy prior to the fight (varying equipment, stats, spells and miracles, "hot-key" items)
  • Seven times out of ten, the invading player is stronger than NPC Old Monk if the invading player is eager to fight.

It sounds like you lucked-out when that BP was just running into the wall.  As for the quitting, maybe they were hoping for you to die before entering the fog gate so they could get their Monk's Head Wrappings without getting Black Character Tendency.  Different experiences will yield different outcomes, but I am a little envious of how little you had to "deal" with BP Old Monks. =P

djwille88 wrote:

Good write up!

For the hardest bosses it would be Maneater and the False King for me.  I've only beaten Maneater by myself once without help and didn't use the arrow trick at the fog gate.  That boss battle took about 45 min of me hanging by the firepit and running 1 hit roll away combos. (ng+)

False King I usually need help, I have yet to beat him solo without arrowing him to death at elevator entrance.

I find the other bosses pretty easy, even flamlurker isn't that bad in ng+++.

On a special note, I think BP Satuski NG+ is harder then most of the bosses in DS.

I'm going to be honest and say that I have used the arrow trick on Maneater to make my SL1 run easier.  After a bad experience from being sandwiched by the two of them, I figured that I cheese the first one so I have an easier time with the second one.  Also, if you are having trouble with False King Allant on a character between SL1-11 feel free to send a PM my way and I'll be more than welcome to give you a hand. =)

-=-=-=-=-=-

After some review and adjustment, here are the updated Rankings!  Here is a summary of the overall changes:

• Old King Allant and Maneater are tied for first place, with BP Old Monk bumped down to second.
  • My opinions were reflected upon and adjusted for accuracy.

1st: Old King Allant & Maneater (2)

3rd: BP Old Monk (1)

4th: Flamelurker

5th: Penetrator

6th: Dirty Colossus

7th: Leechmonger

8th: NPC Old Monk

9th: Armor Spider

10th: Fool's Idol

11th: Tower Knight

12th: Dragon God

13th: Old Hero

14th: Maiden Astraea

15th: Adjudicator

16th: Storm Ruler

17th: Vanguard

18th: King Allant

19th: Phalanx

Message 7 of 35 (21,230 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
816 posts

Apr 15, 2011

+1 for you!  I enjoyed reading the list:-)

I think all the bosses are somewhat easy now but that's only after almost 700-800 hours of gameplay LOL!

Before I knew all the exploits and what not, ALL the bosses were a nightmare; of course, that is what made the game so much fun!

So in the context of first learning to play the game, The False King was the toughest for me!  Damn that evil soul suck!  With Flamelurker being a not too distant 2nd.  And wow, what a nighmare each level was just to get to the boss-of course I'd get my but kicked and try desperately to make it back to those bosses without dying again in hopes of recovering those precious souls laying in the boss' arena as a blood stain...epic memories:-)

Message 8 of 35 (21,228 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Apr 28, 2011

I Always Tried To Dodge Their Attacks.....I ended up Rolling Off The edge of the earth.

Message 9 of 35 (21,227 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

May 17, 2011

I find most of the bosses too easy personally i mean Garl vinland if you fight him on the path where he waits for you simply move in on him baiting him to attack back off and nail him he cant use his weapon to it's fullest right there plus he wont do anything else but block and attack when baited very easy fight really Also you have failed to mention the annoying red and blue dragons easy fight just very time consuming if your not prepared. The only boss i've ever really had issues with is the Maneater only because of the ledge issue which he actually uses to try killing you but All other Demon Bosses are fairly simple but again that's just me and my opinion Maneater for the win.

Message 10 of 35 (21,227 Views)
0 Likes