Sep 20 2012
By: arararazizi First Son 25 posts
Accepted Solution

Should I get Dead Space 2 or Mass Effect 2?

8 replies 1070 views Edited Sep 20, 2012

I have the option of getting either Mass Effect 2 or Dead Space 2 for $20. I really like RPG games, but am also a massive fan of action and third-person shooters. I hear Dead Space 2 is more fun to play, but Mass Effect 2 will really stay with you even after you turn your PS3 off. Which should I get first?

Message 1 of 9 (1,070 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Re: Should I get Dead Space 2 or Mass Effect 2?

Sep 24, 2012
I love them both but...Mass Effect 2 for sure.
Message 2 of 9 (1,062 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Sep 24, 2012

As with any game, I try to wait it out until I can find a title used or moved on to the "greatest hits" moniker.  Generally speaking, you don't get to play the games until they have been out for a while, but it will save you some coin in the long run. 

With regards to the two games in question, both have been out for a while.  You should be able to pick up either used for less money, and may be able to pick up both.  Although, both games carry huge fan bases, and it may be a challenge to find any that anyone has been willing to relinquish.

Additionally, used games, mean used online content codes.  You may lose out on the online multi player facets, in this regard, but speaking specifically for DS2, it really wasn't that great anyway.  The game itself is awesome.  Not sure if you ever played the first, but the sequel does not disappoint.  I personally played DS1 eight times, and it never got old to me.

As for Mass Effect, I have never played the first or second, but it is a game that interests me as well.  I hope to pick it up in the future, should I get more game time.  That maybe effected by the upcoming release of DS3 though.  I am pretty hooked on that title.

Try for both, if you can.  Check out the free demos on the PS Store.  I use them a lot when I am trying to figure out where I want to spend my $.  I am sure you will not be disappointed in either.

Regards,

Mobile

Hi Johngie ;-)

Message 3 of 9 (1,059 Views)
First Son
25 posts

Sep 24, 2012

I tried out the demos on both.

The Dead Space 2 demo was fun. The gameplay was slick and enjoyable, and the graphics were great.

The Mass Effect 2 demo was good too. The story was so immersive. My biggest complaint though was that the gameplay wasn't as fun as Dead Space 2. The third-person shooting was a little bland. It wan't bad by any means, but kind of lacks a little polish for me.

Is Mass Effect 2's gameplay slightly dull, or is it just that the demo doesn't do it justice?

Message 4 of 9 (1,056 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Sep 24, 2012
I would say a bit of both. It's not really anything to write home about, but the ability to choose your powers and upgrade them as you wish is neat. As well, Mass Effect 2's story blows everything else out of the water. It's amazing (in my opinion).
Message 5 of 9 (1,054 Views)
Lombax Warrior
93 posts

Oct 1, 2012
EA gets your money anyway.
Message 6 of 9 (1,015 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1136 posts

Oct 6, 2012

Mass effect

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I like waffles
Message 7 of 9 (997 Views)
First Son
16 posts

Oct 25, 2012

The original Dead Space was very dope, I think I would own a PS if it only played the Mass Effect trilogy though; I would call it my ME.

Message 8 of 9 (942 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Nov 4, 2012

Never played the Mass Effect series, but I recently completed Dead Space 2 and throughly enjoyed the entire experience.

If you want to play online, then try to get it new so you don't have to spend extra money on an online pass... ugh, EA shenanigans... 

--
"Good, good! What is bravery without a dash of recklessness? I've taken a liking to thee and I owe thee much for thy service to Artorias. Now watch and see how Gough hunts dragons."
Message 9 of 9 (901 Views)